Some maths question (MC) (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
for probability I got 5/8 which is D
= 1 - P(no one getting under 10 seconds)
= 1 - 3/4 x 5/6 x 3/5
= 5/8

for trig I got 4 but I'm not too sure about it. What you do is find the values where sinx=1 and where tanx=-2. Where these occur the equation will equal zero.

Fiction

HSC
for probability I got 5/8 which is D
= 1 - P(no one getting under 10 seconds)
= 1 - 3/4 x 5/6 x 3/5
= 5/8

for trig I got 4 but I'm not too sure about it. What you do is find the values where sinx=1 and where tanx=-2. Where these occur the equation will equal zero.

Opps, should've put up the answers; the probability one is D and the trig one is 2 so B.

For the probability question; why is it times and not plus?

Thanks~:) (Can you tell I'm shit at this subject yet hahah)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Opps, should've put up the answers; the probability one is D and the trig one is 2 so B.

For the probability question; why is it times and not plus?

Thanks~:) (Can you tell I'm shit at this subject yet hahah)
In general for probability Q's, "times" corresponds to "and", and "plus" corresponds to "or".

photastic

HSC
Tan has 2 solutions, Sin has 1 solution. Hence, there are a total of 3 solutions for the equation (sin x-1) (tan x +2)=0
But the solution from sin which is pi/2 cannot be a solution for the equation (sin x-1) (tan x +2)=0 because if you substitute pi/2, you get an undefined answer, hence there are only 2 solutions, you've drawn the diagram yourself and it is clear that pi/2 is not a solution because it is the assymptote for tan. This was something a lot students got wrong from last year's HSC exam.

Mr_Kap

HSC
the trig one:

sinx = 1

x = 90 degrees (only one solution here as 180-90 is also equal to 90)
HOWEVER if you test it in the original..it doesn't equal zero because tan(90) = undefined.

tanx = -2
has two solution

hence the answer is 2

Mr_Kap

HSC
But the solution from sin which is pi/2 cannot be a solution for the equation (sin x-1) (tan x +2)=0 because if you substitute pi/2, you get an undefined answer, hence there are only 2 solutions, you've drawn the diagram yourself and it is clear that pi/2 is not a solution because it is the assymptote for tan. This was something a lot students got wrong from last year's HSC exam.
including yourself hahaha.

Fiction

HSC
In general for probability Q's, "times" corresponds to "and", and "plus" corresponds to "or".
ooooh
Sweet, thanks :)

the trig one:

sinx = 1

x = 90 degrees (only one solution here as 180-90 is also equal to 90)
HOWEVER if you test it in the original..it doesn't equal zero because tan(90) = undefined.

tanx = -2
has two solution

hence the answer is 2
How do you figure out that tan =-2 has two solutions? Do you draw it out?

I delete my solution cause I suck
Aww no you don't
At least you didn't try to draw out the two graphs and count how many times they touched the X-axis like what I did lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)