some mp3's won't play through windows media player? (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Hi,
Some mp3's that used to play in windows media player no longer play in windows media player and this msg comes up-

-Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Its only happened recently, and the mp3's that don't play used to work before, does anyone know how I can fix this ?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I hope you mean some mp3s that you downloaded legally through online stores ;P

Try playing them in another player, firstly. Go to start>run>mplayer2. Do they work in this ? Do you have any other software you could test them in?

The only thing I can suggest is reinstalling the LAME MP3 codec, if playing in a different program (mplayer2/winamp/etc) still doesn't work.

Med

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
MedNez said:
I hope you mean some mp3s that you downloaded legally through online stores ;P

Try playing them in another player, firstly. Go to start>run>mplayer2. Do they work in this ? Do you have any other software you could test them in?

The only thing I can suggest is reinstalling the LAME MP3 codec, if playing in a different program (mplayer2/winamp/etc) still doesn't work.

Med
Thanks:) yes they worked in mplayer2.I think there might be a problem with my windows media player then.
Whats the LAME MP3 codec?

Templar said:
Strange problem...

Tried reinstalling WMP?
Thanks, no I havn't tried reinstalling it yet, I think I will have to though

MedNez

HSC
N/A
LAME codec is what plays mp3s. But the songs work in other players, so we've narrowed down the problem. Either reinstall WMP, or upgrade. Mind you, WMP10 isn't all that great.

What version of WMP do you have currently?

There's always winamp to play your music in =)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Thanks.
Yeh I just checked its windows media player 10.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Well then you can't upgrade ;P

Looks like a reinstall is in order

Med

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)