some quesiton on doing law~~~ (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
;);)

hi~~~ if you are doing law at uni, can you just share some of your experience with me? just so that my start will be a lot more smooth.

BTW~~~I heard this from people and newspaper: unis have severe security problems, laptops and valuables are often stolen. is it true? should I bring my laptop to lecture? (well... I just bought an extra-long life battery for my laptop so that i can use it all day without recharging it)

Merry Christmas everyone

Last edited:

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Kalashnikov47 said:
;);)

hi~~~ if you are doing law at uni, can you just share some of your experience with me? just so that my start will be a lot more smooth.

BTW~~~I heard this from people and newspaper: unis have severe security problems, laptops and valuables are often stolen. is it true? should I bring my laptop to lecture? (well... I just bought an extra-long life battery for my laptop so that i can use it all day without recharging it)
try another part of BoS maybe...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Kalashnikov47 said:
;);)

Sounds like generic issues here rather than law restricted:

Security is like any public/mass-use location, if you leave something unattended that could be of worth, its not going to last long most of the time.

Laptops are really an optional thing, personally I find laptops in lectures a distraction and a cumbersome thing, much easier to just use pen and paper and type it up later.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
In my experience, laptops in a law lecture will be useless. Law lectures don't go for long, well a least in first year (i found ~half hour). Say for contracts, there is about 3-4 pgs of brief notes, they talk about the rules/structure and go through a few examples. All in all, the contact hours are tiny. Basically, to succeed you need to be the best at time management. Keep up with the material (readings), don't worry about making excessive summaries (you will fall behind), and hit those ASSIGNMENTS as soon as they appear. Since exams are open book, you don't need to know the CONTENT of the law in great detail; you need to build your statutory interpretation skills, comprehensive ability and legal problem solving skills.

IMO, studying law is highly unique compared to other subjects I have done- ie commerce. Commerce is much more about memorisation. It's what you expect. Long lectures (relatively easy material though), tonnes of concepts to know and multiple choice exams (a lot of the time). Much more 'HSC' style, especially in first year.

Hope this was helpful.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)