• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Some questions. Please Help (1 Viewer)

Squall_Ivan

HSC
Hello. Can someone please answer these questions...

1. In the syllabus dot point:
Process information to identify some of the metals, metal alloys and compounds that have been identified as exhibiting the property of superconductivity and the critical temperatures

What do we have to know?

2. Do we have to know the two different types of Superconductors?

3. Do we have to know about diodes and how a transistor works?

4. Do we have to know about application of superconductors such as medical imaging? In the syllabus, it only states computers, generators and motors and transmission of electricity through power grids.

Thanks a lot.

serge

HSC
I think you might be getting super and semi conductors mixed up

Superconductivity is when a compound has zero resistance at a certain critical temperature

There aren't TWO types of superconductors
There are TWO types of semi-conductors n and p-type

For the dot-point you mentioned 1st

A Superconductor- Mercury
It's Critical Temp- 4K

Last edited:

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
4. Do we have to know about application of superconductors such as medical imaging? In the syllabus, it only states computers, generators and motors and transmission of electricity through power grids
Thats handy if youre doing medical physics (as I am), superconductivity in MRI for example is a good example.

And yep, I think its safe to say a sound knowledge in doping is advisable (n and p type semi-conductors). As for the transistors, I have this bad feeling that the always comical "impact on society" question might have something to do with that or along those lines, so perhaps looking back at the Thermoinic valve and developments in the field in general

Last edited:

LostAuzzie

HSC
serge said:
There aren't TWO types of superconductors
Actually there is:
You've got your type 1 superconductors (metals and metalloids) and your type 2 superconductors (metal compounds & alloys with a few exceptions)

As far as having to know them It wouldnt hurt to know that there are two types and what each comprises of but I doubt you'll ever have to give them sopecific names or anything like that.

serge said:
3. Do we have to know about diodes and how a transistor works?
As far as I know that was cut from the syllabus I think a basic idea of what a transistor consists of is still required though. Please someone correct me if im wrong.

Hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)