Some questions that needs answers (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
I really don't get this scaled HSC mark & aligned hsc mark (i read the top threads but too confusing) yes i'm stupid :rolleyes:

Ok, so my questions are:

1) Assessment mark is the mark displayed on the report & hsc mark is the actual HSC exam mark correct? and from this UAC works out your final HSC mark?

2) Is the scaled HSC mark lower or higher than your actual exam mark & assessment mark? for example say i received 80% (both in the exam & assessment mark) for a low scaled subject (business studies) does this mark get scaled up or down this is the scaled HSC mark?

3) If say you received 75% for maths in both assessment mark & hsc exam mark, is it possible for this to get scaled to band 5/6?

I really dont get this

Any help will be appreciated

:confused: :confused: :confused: :chainsaw:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
1) i think so. but moderated assessment mark is an adjusted version of your assessment mark

2) depends on the candidature of that year. Is your percentage in raw mark? oh, and alligned marks and scaled marks are different. If you do well in alligned marks (which appear on your record of achievement) it does not necessarily mean that you'll get the same scaled mark from UAC.

3) Yes it is possible, depending on the school that you go to, the candidature and that year's difficulty.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

*learn all these from here :) *

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Just about right. :)
A note for 2: In general, the UAC will scale all your HSC marks down regardless (, but that's because BOS no longer use a Bell Curve with a mean of 25.0 per unit).

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I believe there are a few subjects that actually scale it up.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
hsc mark is the actual HSC exam mark correct? and from this UAC works out your final HSC mark?
exam mark ur reported is the aligned exam mark, not your actual raw exam mark.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'd recommend reading the glossary in the UAISeeker manual.

Just in case there's any residual confusion...

1)
Your raw assessment mark is your original school mark.
Your moderated assessment mark is your raw assessment mark after it has been adjusted for your school.
Your aligned assessment mark is your moderated assessment mark after it has been aligned to course standards.

Your raw exam mark is your original exam mark, as given by the markers.
Your aligned exam mark is your raw exam mark after it has been aligned to course standards.

Your raw HSC mark is the average of your moderated assessment mark and raw exam mark.
Your scaled HSC mark is your raw HSC mark after it has been scaled for inclusion in your UAI.

The aligned marks appear on your BOS Record of Achievement.

The scaled HSC mark is used in your UAI.

2)
Whether your scaled HSC mark ends up being higher or lower than your raw HSC mark depends on two factors:
i) how the course is scaled (i.e. its scaled mean and SD)
ii) your position in the course (i.e. your percentile)

As a general guideline, if a course has a scaled mean above 25, and you perform above average, you'll end up with a higher scaled HSC mark. This isn't always the case though.

3)
Yes, though there are far too many other factors involved to simply be able to say "75 in X can be aligned to 90+".

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
Extn 2 maths gets scaled up, according the UAI seeker
You can't compare aligned marks with scaled marks - the fact that a scaled mark is higher than the corresponding aligned mark in a particular course doesn't mean that you were actually scaled up. Aligned marks are not used in the scaling process.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Laz thank you

That just PERFECTLY answered my question!

I don't know what made it so confusing =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)