Some things i've learnt from trials (1 Viewer)

Hot potato

HSC
G'day all

so the past couple of weeks i've been experiencing the stress and pain of the dreaded trial hsc exam block, and whilst unfortunately i think i screwed up 5/7 of my exams i have learnt a lot of things about the hsc which have hopefully made this trial quite a useful exercise.

1. consistent study is the best approach - anyone who hasn't done their trials yet, please begin working hard now rather than just the two weeks before, i found this out the hard way
2. eat a good meal before your exams - before my english paper 1 i hadn't eaten anything and genuinely found myself thinking about food half way through the exam lol
3. i hate english - stupidest exams ever!!! we were basically told by our teachers to memorise a bunch of essays and narratives and if we were lucky they'd fit the question. Unfortunately i wasn't lucky
4. SLEEP - especially if you have morning exams on consecutive days, sleep is more important than reading over your notes again
5. read the exam question, highlight key words, read it again, then read it some more - again i found this out the hard way in my english exam, and let's just say i'll be lucky if i get 5/15

ahh well at least trials are over, good luck to everyone who has them next term. Happy studying over the holidays everyone.

HSC
Uni Grad
G'day all

so the past couple of weeks i've been experiencing the stress and pain of the dreaded trial hsc exam block, and whilst unfortunately i think i screwed up 5/7 of my exams i have learnt a lot of things about the hsc which have hopefully made this trial quite a useful exercise.

1. consistent study is the best approach - anyone who hasn't done their trials yet, please begin working hard now rather than just the two weeks before, i found this out the hard way
2. eat a good meal before your exams - before my english paper 1 i hadn't eaten anything and genuinely found myself thinking about food half way through the exam lol
3. i hate english - stupidest exams ever!!! we were basically told by our teachers to memorise a bunch of essays and narratives and if we were lucky they'd fit the question. Unfortunately i wasn't lucky
4. SLEEP - especially if you have morning exams on consecutive days, sleep is more important than reading over your notes again
5. read the exam question, highlight key words, read it again, then read it some more - again i found this out the hard way in my english exam, and let's just say i'll be lucky if i get 5/15

ahh well at least trials are over, good luck to everyone who has them next term. Happy studying over the holidays everyone.
That's why you need to know how to adapt your essay into the question given. I.e. at least try to test it with different questions. Also write up extra notes and read through those in case your essay doesn't fit the question at all (i.e. for speeches, if they ask a different text).

Also with adaptation, you should consistently link with the question within the paragraphs, and say how they are related to the question. Simply memorizing a response and throwing it out on the day ain't gonna get you a band 5 or 6.

Last edited:

Hot potato

HSC
yeah, i've learnt my lesson now. I'll hopefully be doing a lot better prep for the actual hsc

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, i've learnt my lesson now. I'll hopefully be doing a lot better prep for the actual hsc
(Y)

It would be a good time to improve on other stuff like examination technique, essays, writing responses, doing papers and getting them marked by teachers, etc. Given that you have 1 term and 3 weeks more, it's a LOT of time to improve. So use it wisely, but chill at the same time too :)

jenslekman

HSC
G'day all

a) dont eat too much - you might need to go to the toilet during the exam - learnt that the hard way hehe
b) wow never knew english teachers recommended doing that o_o

eat_well

HSC
Thank you for your advice. I will take it into account while studying :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)