some1 plz explain (1 Viewer)

ying

can some1 explain to me wat is lattice?
and also wat is impurities?
and some1 plz explain y resistance in metal is increased by impurities and scattered electrons by lattice vibrations

N

ND

Lattice - an orderly array of ions (in this context).
Impurity - a subtance different to the metal.
Resistance is increased because current is the flow of electrons, and electrons bump into impurities if present.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
lattice - regular, naturally occurring polyhedral structure. Think of it like atoms arranged in a regular, neat structure.

resistance increases because lattice vibrations scatter electrons, causing them to collide with the impurity atoms and hence lose kinetic energy.

ying

i kinda get it now but wat happens when they lose kenetic energy?

Rahul

Dead Member
the electrons hit the lattice, this 'slows' down the progress of electrons. the vibrations in the lattice cause heat to be generated (resistance), this builds up proportionally(the more hot it is, the more resistant it will be).

i dont know what you mean by your question. maybe you can re-word it, unless i answered it above. :)

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
The lattice is made up of positive ions which the electrons are attracted to so they will always be moving and colliding with each other...

ying

oo i get it now so some of its energy is converted to heat energy so there is lost of energy (resistance) is that right? corect me

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by ying
some of its energy is converted to heat energy so there is lost of energy (resistance) is that right? corect me
yep thats right, just not so much 'loosing' energy, more transformed.

"law of conservation of energy" is a key term to know for this, as redslert mentioned
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)