Someone clear up something for me please (1 Viewer)

lee^ar

so ive been lookin into the uni courses

can anyone tell me what it means by bachelor xxxx ?
and also wat honours means?

(sometimes i see em both together eg. B phycology with honours)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh! :D

Bachelors = Baccalaureus (older, Latin testamurs)

This is the FIRST "degree" you get in any field. There are lower awards like Certificate and Diploma, but these are not generally studied at university without consecutively earning a Bachelor's degree. For anyone here (high school and undergraduate university students) this is the degree you're aiming for. Example: A Bachelor in Science majoring in Physics looks like this B Sci (Phys). This means you studied your first science degree with a major in Physics. Later degrees would be Masters (M Sci), Doctorate (D Sci) and the elusive PhD [Philosoph Doctor] (PhD Sci).

Honours is a year you may study in addition to the regular amount of time you spend in Bachelor studies. It is generally a year spent in research, after which you write and submit a Thesis. If you are succesful in conducting, evaluating and publishing your research and thesis you are awarded the "Honours" title after your title. This testamur basically makes you more appealing to employers, as only the best students are selected for honours, and the year of research gives them a thorough knowledge and intimacy with their chosen field.

In summary, B = Good, B (Hons) = Better. :)

MrA

In some courses, honours is not an extra year, but it just means that you have performed at a high standard throughout your course...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
This means you studied your first science degree with a major in Physics. Later degrees would be Masters (M Sci), Doctorate (D Sci) and the elusive PhD [Philosoph Doctor] (PhD Sci).
Oh, and all my life I thought that a Doctorate was the same as a PhD:eek:. There are also different levels of Honours (i.e. First Degree Honours and Second Degree Honours) and if you get First Degree Honours I believe that you can skip your Masters Degree and go straight for a PhD:).

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Oh, and all my life I thought that a Doctorate was the same as a PhD:eek:. There are also different levels of Honours (i.e. First Degree Honours and Second Degree Honours) and if you get First Degree Honours I believe that you can skip your Masters Degree and go straight for a PhD:).
really?.....ok im getting my first class honorz now!:p :D

@lbert3269

Hmm.. so you gotta perform reasonably well to get into the honours program ? Can't we just choose to do it after we complete our bachelor degree ?

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
mmm....prolly u need 2 perform well n then u get 2 do ur honours..cud be different for diff courses :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by @lbert3269
Hmm.. so you gotta perform reasonably well to get into the honours program ? Can't we just choose to do it after we complete our bachelor degree ?
in the FCE @ UNSW, you have to maintain a 71% average in 2nd and 3rd year subjects related to the major you intend to study honours for

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Merethrond
and if you get First Degree Honours I believe that you can skip your Masters Degree and go straight for a PhD:).
Why would you do a PhD unless you wanted to become a professor?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Legum Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Laws)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
in the FCE @ UNSW, you have to maintain a 71% average in 2nd and 3rd year subjects related to the major you intend to study honours for
Also, if I get my transfer to Business at Newcastle University, all you need to do to gain Honours accreditation is to maintain a credit average:D.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Why would you do a PhD unless you wanted to become a professor?
Maybe people just like being called "doctor" (like Ross off "Friends"):D. There is probably no reason really though, other than if you like learning (especially in your chosen field) it might turn into a hobby type of thing. Someone might also get personal satisfaction out of discovering a new theory or something. Also, (and I am not sure of this) it couldn't hurt if you had a PhD (like I am sure if nothing separated yourself from another employee, apart from your PhD, then you would get the job):).

Ziff

HSC
N/A
There is such a thing as being over-qualified for a position. Bosses don't like people with better credentials than themselves or see the "Dr." as being old, stale and they can't indoctinate him (as easily) into the business...

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
There is such a thing as being over-qualified for a position. Bosses don't like people with better credentials than themselves or see the "Dr." as being old, stale and they can't indoctinate him (as easily) into the business...
yeah that it so true. smaller businesses will be hesitant to employ ppl with masters or whatever. maybe coz they cant afford it, or they are over qualified...

imo anyway.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
yeah that it so true. smaller businesses will be hesitant to employ ppl with masters or whatever. maybe coz they cant afford it, or they are over qualified...

imo anyway.
i don't get this concept of "over qualification" i mean, whats the problem with it? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)