someone plz check my solutions.. (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Solution of question 1 is wrong (Sorry). Error in going between first and second lines. You have written

int (from 0 to 2) sqrt(x / (4 - x)) dx = int (from 0 to 2) x / sqrt(4 - x<sup>2</sup>) dx

This involves multiplying numerator by sqrt(x) and denominator by something else. You mean:

int (from 0 to 2) sqrt(x / (4 - x)) dx = int (from 0 to 2) x / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Solution of question 1 is wrong (Sorry). Error in going between first and second lines. You have written

int (from 0 to 2) sqrt(x / (4 - x)) dx = int (from 0 to 2) x / sqrt(4 - x<sup>2</sup>) dx

This involves multiplying numerator by sqrt(x) and denominator by something else. You mean:

int (from 0 to 2) sqrt(x / (4 - x)) dx = int (from 0 to 2) x / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx
ohhhk..i do it again.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Closer, but still not right. There are two problems:

1. (2x - 4) / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) should not integrate to a log.

2. When you integrated to get the inverse sine, you have not taken account of the fact that there is a minus sign in front of the x.

NOTE: The function sqrt(x / (4 - x)) is non-negative throughout 0 <= x <= 2, so the answer is positive. Furthermore, since the max value of this function is 1 on this domain, it's not hard to show that the answer must be between 1 and 2. You should always do a quick check like this - reflect on an answer by asking 'is my answer reasonable?'.

PS: I get the answer to be pi - 2, and I won't be around for about the next hour. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
int (4 - 2x) / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx = 2 * sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) + C, for some constant C

int 1 / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx = int 1 / sqrt[4 - (2 - x)<sup>2</sup> dx = - sin<sup>-1</sup>[(2 - x) / 2] + C, for some constant C

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
int (4 - 2x) / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx = 2 * sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) + C, for some constant C

int 1 / sqrt(4x - x<sup>2</sup>) dx = int 1 / sqrt[4 - (2 - x)<sup>2</sup> dx = - sin<sup>-1</sup>[(2 - x) / 2] + C, for some constant C
sorry...but...how did that happen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)