Song as a Related Text? (1 Viewer)

acidsushi

HSC
So for my class' Area of Study, we're studying Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible'.

For my first exam in December, I used Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery', and Radiohead's 'Subterranean Homesick Alien' as related texts. I did pretty well on the exam (13/15), however, my teacher wrote that using a song wasn't a good idea. No reasons why. No criticism of the song I picked. He just wrote "don't use a song as a related text" in that terrible handwriting that all English teachers seem to have.

Now, this really bugs me, as I analysed the song in immense detail. I de-constructed the song's lyrics, structure, sound-field, and layers, and then generated meaning from them. I analysed the song (in my essay) in much more detail than 'The Lottery', but my teacher still said The Lottery was stronger.

So, taking this into account, this makes me wonder if the HSC markers attach some sort of stigma to musical related texts - whether they're analysed well or not. And it makes me question whether I should just use the song and tell my teacher to piss off, or suck it up and get a new related text. WHAT DO?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can pull it off, just use a song

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Yes, markers attach stigmas (stigmata?) to media based on their perceived sophistication. The sophistication order is roughly: poetry > novel > short fiction > visual art > film > music > others. Judgements are also made based on the age and popularity of your text.

This is slightly mitigated by your choice of Radiohead – a 'complex' artist, at least relative to whatever pop sensation is currently playing on 2day FM.

If your analysis is brilliant, your choice of text matters less. In fact, a nuanced interpretation of a seemingly unsophisticated text is often more impressive than your run-of-the-mill analysis of a classic poem or novel. A few years ago, a piece was included in the extension 2 Young Writers' Showcase that analysed Australian hip-hop in the context of classical Greek literature. I suggest you post your analysis on this thread so we can suggest improvements or changes.

Subterranean Homesick Alien is one of my favourite songs. Good choice.

Champouf

HSC
As Goldy has said before me, HSC markers tend to have some stigma against using songs and such as a related text. They are also prejudiced against picture books and when a fraction of a class share the same related text. Despite this, if you can do it well just go for it. Just imagine blowing the socks off the marker when they realize you're actually smashing the analysis. They cannot penalize you for using an 'unsophisticated' text anyway, the worst thing they can do is bitch about you in the marking center.

study1234

HSC
Perhaps try using a music video version, as it adds a visual element to the lyrics. HSC markers often like music videos, especially ones that they can relate to.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps try using a music video version, as it adds a visual element to the lyrics. HSC markers often like music videos, especially ones that they can relate to.
+1

However, my teacher says stay away from songs unless you are very musical

HSC
N/A
Have to add my 2 cents worth as an experienced HSC marker! I don't know where all these rumours are coming from about using particular texts, especially the idea that they/we are prejudiced regarding picture books and songs. It is just not true! Having a thoughtful thesis that links strongly to the question on the paper, arguing a logical and effective case for that thesis employing detailed textual knowledge and utilising sophisticated language will gain you the marks. It is true to say that some students choose songs as related texts because they like a particular one and know the lyrics. Some students have even been known to write out the whole thing, thinking that will help them to achieve better results. The problem with some lyrics is that they reveal a superficial view of belonging-e.g. to one partner, or feeling rejected, leaving the student with little else to discuss. But, honestly, IF you can link the song/picture book to your argument IN DETAIL, and demonstrate to the markers that you are a thoughtful, talented English student the form of related text is not especially relevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)