Song techniques? (1 Viewer)

zingerburger

HSC
Many of the techniques songs use are very similar to the techniques used in poems. The most obvious is repetition, which usually occurs in the chorus, to place emphasis on a particular point. But there are also other common techniques like metaphors, enjambment etc.

thommy

HSC
N/A
zingerburger said:
Many of the techniques songs use are very similar to the techniques used in poems. The most obvious is repetition, which usually occurs in the chorus, to place emphasis on a particular point. But there are also other common techniques like metaphors, enjambment etc.
Thankyou very much. :)

Can you also talk about things like 4/4, the mood in which they sing the song, eg, sad, as being techniques?

thommy

HSC
N/A
Also, are there any techniques that are exclusive to songs? I have a related text that's a song, and it has some really good points about imaginative journeys, and I'm trying to find different techniques to the ones in the Cleridge poems.

C~liciouz

HSC
heya,
i asked my teacher cause i'm interested in doing a song as well and he suggested that if you refer to such things as the music notes, or like if the song changes from a softer tune, to a louder tune to comment on that as it shows it's specifically a song and adds to what you're saying =)

thommy

HSC
N/A
C~liciouz said:
heya,
i asked my teacher cause i'm interested in doing a song as well and he suggested that if you refer to such things as the music notes, or like if the song changes from a softer tune, to a louder tune to comment on that as it shows it's specifically a song and adds to what you're saying =)
That helps quite a lot, because the tune does change in this song. Thanks! But what do you mean by the notes?

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Mood, tone, atmosphere created by the lyrics and music.
Emphasis
Cadence
Rhyme
Rhythm
Repetition
Voice
Music
:):)

Last edited:

thommy

HSC
N/A
dr baby beanie said:
Mood, tone, atmosphere created by the lyrics and music.
Emphasis
Cadence
Rhyme
Rhythem
Repetition
Voice
Music
:):)
What's their definition and effect?

C~liciouz

HSC
thommy said:
That helps quite a lot, because the tune does change in this song. Thanks! But what do you mean by the notes?
ummm i guess it's like, the notes in the song?
it just shows like a deeper understanding instead of just saying the beat changes.

thommy

HSC
N/A
C~liciouz said:
ummm i guess it's like, the notes in the song?
it just shows like a deeper understanding instead of just saying the beat changes.
But what exactly do you say about the notes? Sorry, I sucked at music. I only chose to do this song because it links so well to the other texts I'm doing.

C~liciouz

HSC
hahaha me two =)

hi5!

kinda like, if it's a dramatic change? do you have a friend that's good with music?

thommy

HSC
N/A
:)
C~liciouz said:
hahaha me two =)

hi5!

kinda like, if it's a dramatic change? do you have a friend that's good with music?
:lol:

Yeah, I have one friend that does music, but she's doing the easier one. I'll ask her, and see if she knows. :)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
thommy said:
What's their definition and effect?
Their effect sort of depends on the song.
Do you happen to have a copy of "Edible English"? If you don't I highly recommend it.;)

thommy

HSC
N/A
dr baby beanie said:
Their effect sort of depends on the song.
Do you happen to have a copy of "Edible English"? If you don't I highly recommend it.;)
Thanks, I'll look into getting that book.

As for the technqiues you gave, I've looked them up, and chosen to do cadence, mood/atmosphere and rhyme. I already had repetition and motif, so now, thanks to you, I have 5. I assume we'll need around 5-6 for the external exam(?), so thankyou very much for your great suggestions. :)

Just wondering though, with things like cadence, being of such musical terminology, how should I go about using that, without sort of writing a music essay, instead of english.

I definitely need to use cadence, because this song uses a very strong cadence to clearly indicate the end of the song, and therefore, the journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)