• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sonny Bill Williams leaves Bulldogs for France (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
restraint of trade, though he did sign a contract idk if it included stuff about the salary cap. Essentially I think what they'd need to do is write up their contracts so they say 'you'll be subject to the salary cap' in some way.

tbh I don't know near enough, I'll wait for an article on it in the australian or something.

Sports law expert Deborah Healey, a senior lecturer at the University of NSW, said Williams' legal team would need to prove the salary cap was an unreasonable restraint of trade.

This would be dependant on a number of factors, including just how much income was generated by the game.

"Restraints of trade are only okay if they are considered reasonable in all of the circumstances," Healey said.

"They would be arguing that the parts that make up the salary cap are in restraint of trade because they go further than is necessary to protect the interests of the NRL."

Gallop denied players were being denied earning a fair income, adding the NRL and the Bulldogs had received unilateral support from club bosses for seeking an injunction against Williams.
I don't think he has legs to stand on then, everything I understand about the salary cap is that without it the NRL would lose a shitload of clubs and slowly deteriorate without being the 'local sport' for so many people (i.e. there's a club within probably 25 minutes for everyone in sydney).

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
now toulon's boss is saying he isn't offering sbw anything higher than what he was getting at the dogs. sucked in, dumbass. why would anyone leave a career before signing up for another? it is like selling your place before buying one.

Cam O

HSC
Who cares it'll all turn out to be a positive. It seems like every day since he's gone people have been saying what they think about improving the state of the game. What do you guys think about how to improve the game (meaning either relocation/merge/some clubs may die/no salary cap)?

I'm a mad Cronulla fan and I want the salary cap to assure Cronulla's existence, without we couldn't survive.
So it seems Sonny leaving will be a positive!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)