Sony SZ series Notebooks (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I am looking at getting a notebook -

Since I love to run power-sapping programs like Photoshop in tandem, I figured I needed something fairly powerful.

But since I'm under 5 feet tall and also under 45 kilos, mum and dad don't want me carrying anything that's over 2kg.

I initially tossed up between Sony and Lenovo notebooks, but then I ditched the Thinkpads because they don't have optical drives - so that leaves Sony left.

At the moment I have the VAIO SZ381P/X Notebook in mind...but then my dad said, "what if a new model comes out and the price drops?"

So I was just wondering if any of you guys knew when the VAIO SZ390PW1 comes out - it's already available in the US, but over here I haven't seen it around yet.

Or if you have a heaps better suggestion for me I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
Did you just look at one Lenovo and assume they'll don't come with an optical drive?

sunny

meh.
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
At the moment I have the VAIO SZ381P/X Notebook in mind...but then my dad said, "what if a new model comes out and the price drops?"
Then say, "ok, I'll wait for it to get cheaper", then point out the next better model will become cheaper, so you wait again, and wait for the next model, and wait for the next model, and wait for...

stella8h8chang said:
But since I'm under 5 feet tall and also under 45 kilos, mum and dad don't want me carrying anything that's over 2kg.
Unfortunately, ultralights don't tend to be that powerful and you pay premium for size and weight rather than performance. You need to look somewhere in between. Plus you're doing graphics work, you would want a bigger screen. 12 or 13" on ultralights would get annoying.

Punctuation M said:
Did you just look at one Lenovo and assume they'll don't come with an optical drive?
The ultralight Thinkpads don't come with optical drives, and the X series 12" screen is probably too small for Photoshop work. The next lightest are already slightly over 2kg.

But yes, if I was in your shoes I would probably go with a T series Thinkpad :) Just a tad over 2kg.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Sony is so overpriced...........Is there a reason why you only considered Sony and Lenovo?

I own a Acer (top of the range last year), it runs photoshop,and games with little lag. And the price was about half of what i could get with of Sony with the same specs.

Last edited:

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
I like Acer also, I am running an Acer desktop computer and an IBM Thinkpad.

z600 how much ram do you have? This lag may be fixed with a stick of RAM.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Punctuation M said:
I like Acer also, I am running an Acer desktop computer and an IBM Thinkpad.

z600 how much ram do you have? This lag may be fixed with a stick of RAM.
I got a free upgrade to 1GB, but my laptop is too heavy, you carry it on your shoulder for 15 minutes then the pain hits.

Meanwhile, Lenovo are great (cept for the ugly black design), very durable.

Last edited:
Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
z600 said:
Sony is so overpriced...........Is there a reason why you only considered Sony and Lenovo?
To be honest, I did a search on Harris Tech and couldn't find any good ultraportables by any other brand...ok...Toshiba have something...the Libretto? But it has really dodgy specs, like a 60gb hard drive (my iPod would gobble it up!)

I did ring the Bing Lee guy because my dad saw a big ad for ASUS in the paper - but he told me that ASUSes tended to be on the chunkier/heavier side.

Ditto with Dell. In fact I went to the Dell stand at Chatswood Westfield and the guy tells me, "if money wasn't an issue, I would buy a Sony, because they're much sleeker" My instinct told me, "wtf? you're a Dell salesperson and you want me to buy a Sony?"

And...z600 no offence, but if you find the laptop heavy, I probably wouldn't be able to lift it.

I will also be adding a big padded bag on, and those tend to stack more weight - so that's why we have the big limit of 2kg on the laptop itself.

So yeah - I'm still pretty stuck - it's just that I don't want to buy it this week, and then find out next week another model came out and the price dropped by like $300...that would make me feel guilty.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i got an asus w5f laptop
12 inch screen which is a little too small for photoshop, but its only 1.7 kg so its ultralight

i recommend an asus

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
And...z600 no offence, but if you find the laptop heavy, I probably wouldn't be able to lift it.
I didnt say get a Acer, just consider everybrand. THe lightest laptops i know of are Fujitsu, they are pretty expensive like Sony but they arent bad. HP is also worth looking into. If you want something light, dont expect anything fancy in the specs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)