Sor Cssa Trial 2004 (1 Viewer)

Ketti_Yvs

is this what u mn?

What do u mean exactly, do u mean answers in which full marks were awarded?

Part b: Question 11 (b):
Account for the diversity of expression of Aboriginal belief systems and spirituality today. - 7 mks.
i got 7 mks and i wrote:
The impact of Eureopean colonisation had a profound effect on the Aboriginal belief sytems. Loss of land meant that they were unable to continue their traditions such as worship of spirits at specicifc sites. Policies such as assimilation and segregation meant that traditions and the main teachings of Ab. Sp. were not being passed on through their oral tradition of Dreaming Stories. They experienced an overall loss of dignity and culture post-colonisation..
Efforts of integration of Ab.Sp,. and Christianity have also contributed to the diversity. In particular; contextualised theology and Rainbow Spirit Theology in which various beliefs and practices have been accepted into Ab. Sp. and Christianity.
Also the effect of missions and missionary activities also contributed to the diversity today. this had both positive and negative effects. One significant effect being that over time, Aboringal ppl called themeselves Chrsitians due to the influences of living in missions.

Question 12 (10mks)
(a)- 3 mks:
influence of chris. on dev. of one...since 1901.
Social welfare:
Chris. influenced in many ways. Catholic St vincents hospital has 40000 members/volunteers and provides beds to thousnads as well as offering services such as opp.shops and hostels eg. Matthew Talbot.
The Methodist Sydney City Mission estd in 1963, runs Lifeline; a 24 hr counselling service. in 1964, the Wayside Chapel was estd. in 1967, the Wayside Chapel estd the Drug Referral Centre & Drug Addiction Research Centre.
Anglicans contribute to 25% of social welf. in aus, offering many services such as the Good Sams, Brotherhood of St Lawrence, Life after prison ministry and general service such as home visitation, care for elderly and disabled etc.
Robert Hammond was the man behind the Hammond Care Group. He gave unemployed men work and home ownership while feedig them and showering them.

Q12. (b)- 7 mks.
reposnee of two re. trads to one: Gambling.
Christianity has had the most largest reposnse to the issue of gambling. Mehtodist church opposes all forms of gambling esp. TAB and the lottery. Catholic St Vincent Soceity runs a Gambling Recovery Project.Uniting Church city Mission runs a gambling treatment program. It wasnt until 1990s Protestant and Catholics became unified in their response to gambling by establishing the Inter-Church Task Force. This is an example of an ecumenical response. The Inter.Ch. TF provides educational campaigns and supports restrictions on the numbers of Electronic Gaming Machines.
Another trad. which has responded is Buddhism. they have had little involvemtn in comparison but have still reposnded. For eg. Gillian Coote ran an 8wk meditation gambling recovery program at the Sydney Zen Centre in 2001.

hope this is what u mnt :S

Ketti_Yvs

is this what u mn?

What do u mean exactly, do u mean answers in which full marks were awarded?

Part b: Question 11 (b):
Account for the diversity of expression of Aboriginal belief systems and spirituality today. - 7 mks.
i got 7 mks and i wrote:
The impact of Eureopean colonisation had a profound effect on the Aboriginal belief sytems. Loss of land meant that they were unable to continue their traditions such as worship of spirits at specicifc sites. Policies such as assimilation and segregation meant that traditions and the main teachings of Ab. Sp. were not being passed on through their oral tradition of Dreaming Stories. They experienced an overall loss of dignity and culture post-colonisation..
Efforts of integration of Ab.Sp,. and Christianity have also contributed to the diversity. In particular; contextualised theology and Rainbow Spirit Theology in which various beliefs and practices have been accepted into Ab. Sp. and Christianity.
Also the effect of missions and missionary activities also contributed to the diversity today. this had both positive and negative effects. One significant effect being that over time, Aboringal ppl called themeselves Chrsitians due to the influences of living in missions.

Question 12 (10mks)
(a)- 3 mks:
influence of chris. on dev. of one...since 1901.
Social welfare:
Chris. influenced in many ways. Catholic St vincents hospital has 40000 members/volunteers and provides beds to thousnads as well as offering services such as opp.shops and hostels eg. Matthew Talbot.
The Methodist Sydney City Mission estd in 1963, runs Lifeline; a 24 hr counselling service. in 1964, the Wayside Chapel was estd. in 1967, the Wayside Chapel estd the Drug Referral Centre & Drug Addiction Research Centre.
Anglicans contribute to 25% of social welf. in aus, offering many services such as the Good Sams, Brotherhood of St Lawrence, Life after prison ministry and general service such as home visitation, care for elderly and disabled etc.
Robert Hammond was the man behind the Hammond Care Group. He gave unemployed men work and home ownership while feedig them and showering them.

Q12. (b)- 7 mks.
reposnee of two re. trads to one: Gambling.
Christianity has had the most largest reposnse to the issue of gambling. Mehtodist church opposes all forms of gambling esp. TAB and the lottery. Catholic St Vincent Soceity runs a Gambling Recovery Project.Uniting Church city Mission runs a gambling treatment program. It wasnt until 1990s Protestant and Catholics became unified in their response to gambling by establishing the Inter-Church Task Force. This is an example of an ecumenical response. The Inter.Ch. TF provides educational campaigns and supports restrictions on the numbers of Electronic Gaming Machines.
Another trad. which has responded is Buddhism. they have had little involvemtn in comparison but have still reposnded. For eg. Gillian Coote ran an 8wk meditation gambling recovery program at the Sydney Zen Centre in 2001.

hope this is what u mnt :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Ive got nothing better to do so ill post mine up. I got full marks for all the questions.

11(a) "For Aboriginal peoples the Dreaming is not universal, nor is it placed in time." Explain what this statement is saying about the Dreaming. (3 marks)[Note: Ive cut this down a bit because i wrote way to much]

The Dreaming is ever continuous, the past, present and future. It is not universal, for every group and/or individual, the Dreaming is different. It is shaped by personal experiences, suffering, triumph. The Dreaming continues to be shaped by actions today. It is not a place in time, but rather a spiritual experience for believers. Totemic symbols allow the link between the people and their Dreaming. Each groups have different Totemic symbols. The time of the Dreaming cannot be explained using the time frame used today, but is a highly complex worldview that is often misunderstood as a set time and place.

11(b)Account for the diversity of expression of Aboriginal belief systems and spirituality today (7 marks)

Since the beginning of settlement, Europeans did not understand the culture of the Aboriginal people, and this lead to the thought and misconception that they required help. A number of different government policies were introduced that affected the diversity of expression of Aboriginal belief systems and spirituality today. The policy of assimilation led to the forced dispossesion of the people, some being placed into missions, while others, mainly children, were given to white families. This policy had an adverse effect making large numbers of Aboriginies lose their traditional culture. Many people have integrated their traditional culture with Christianity or other traditions. One such is Rainbow Spirit Theology, where leaders believe they can delve into Aboriginal Theology to give greater understanding to Christianity. Of course, there are still those that practice traditional lifestyles, living the semi-nomadic life of their family. This diversity is hence a result of the effects of the way in which Aboriginal lifestyle has been influenced by western culture. There are small numbers that have lost the link with their traditional lifestyle. This has been an adverse effect of policies such as assimilation. Once the policy of self-determination became into effect, Aboriginal people were allowed to freely decide their own belief, resulting in many believing that they could take the positives from both Christianity and traditional spirituality to have a greater spiritual experience. The diversity of expression today has been a direct result of both personal choice and the forced or nominal theology of Christianity. Individuals may have had experiences where they believe that Christianity and Aboriginal spirituality share common elements, such as Story Telling theology, where sacred stories of the Bible are brought to life through traditional ceremonies while still preserving a link to the Dreaming.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
12(a) Demonstrate the influence of Christianity on the development of One of the following areas in Australian society since 1901: Education (3 marks)

Christianity has allowed the development of an education system today where people have a choice whether to send their children to free, secular educational institutes or ones that have a religious syllabus included. Catholics were a major instigator for State Aid to Christian schools. One major incident was the deliberate shutdown of a Catholic school in Goulburn so that it would be known to the government that the works of such Christian schools were important to the community. Subsequently, State Aid was eventually granted after much lobbyinh and Private schools today receive greater funding by both State and Federal government than public schools. The result is a freedom of choice in the education system one's child receives

12(b) Discuss the responses of TWO religious traditions to ONE of the following issues: Poverty (Christianity and Judaism) (7 marks)

Poverty is an important aspect of Christian worship. Christianity has developed a number of charitable institutions to help the oppressed and poverty stricken, including the Salvation Army (Anglican), St Vincent de Paul (Catholic) and Wesley Mission (Uniting Church). Christianity not only gives charity, but prefers to teach the poor how to reclaim their lives. Many church leaders have actually challenged the cause of poverty in government, releasing many reports on the issue. Judaism and its followers have a duty to show the oppressed and exploited the unconditional love and compassion that God gives to them. This has given rise to a number of charitable institutions for the poor, but like Christians, they do not only give money, but also teach the poor how to get back up on their feet. The Gemilut Chasidim is an attitude to give the poor what they truely deserve and what is rightfully theirs. The Jews themselves have personal experiences in being oppressed and exploited and this has resulted in them realising the oppression of others. Both Christians and Jews play important roles in not only trying to help those that are suffering from poverty, but also challenging the government policies that keep making people poor. One good example is when the talks of the GST started, many chuch leaders lobbied that it would make more people poorer and hence allowed and convinced the government to not include the GST on various food products. These two religions have played vital roles on the issure on poverty in Australia right up to today and will continue to.

If anyone is interested i can also type up my Ethics in Christianity and Judaism which i also got full marks for. I wont type it up unless requested

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
acmilan1987 said:
12(a) Demonstrate the influence of Christianity on the development of One of the following areas in Australian society since 1901: Education (3 marks)

Christianity has allowed the development of an education system today where people have a choice whether to send their children to free, secular educational institutes or ones that have a religious syllabus included. Catholics were a major instigator for State Aid to Christian schools. One major incident was the deliberate shutdown of a Catholic school in Goulburn so that it would be known to the government that the works of such Christian schools were important to the community. Subsequently, State Aid was eventually granted after much lobbyinh and Private schools today receive greater funding by both State and Federal government than public schools. The result is a freedom of choice in the education system one's child receives

12(b) Discuss the responses of TWO religious traditions to ONE of the following issues: Poverty (Christianity and Judaism) (7 marks)

Poverty is an important aspect of Christian worship. Christianity has developed a number of charitable institutions to help the oppressed and poverty stricken, including the Salvation Army (Anglican), St Vincent de Paul (Catholic) and Wesley Mission (Uniting Church). Christianity not only gives charity, but prefers to teach the poor how to reclaim their lives. Many church leaders have actually challenged the cause of poverty in government, releasing many reports on the issue. Judaism and its followers have a duty to show the oppressed and exploited the unconditional love and compassion that God gives to them. This has given rise to a number of charitable institutions for the poor, but like Christians, they do not only give money, but also teach the poor how to get back up on their feet. The Gemilut Chasidim is an attitude to give the poor what they truely deserve and what is rightfully theirs. The Jews themselves have personal experiences in being oppressed and exploited and this has resulted in them realising the oppression of others. Both Christians and Jews play important roles in not only trying to help those that are suffering from poverty, but also challenging the government policies that keep making people poor. One good example is when the talks of the GST started, many chuch leaders lobbied that it would make more people poorer and hence allowed and convinced the government to not include the GST on various food products. These two religions have played vital roles on the issure on poverty in Australia right up to today and will continue to.

If anyone is interested i can also type up my Ethics in Christianity and Judaism which i also got full marks for. I wont type it up unless requested
Sounds like a request to me!! Its good to see the standard at other schools.....
Please type it up if you have the time!!

I could be persuaded to put the actual marking criteria up if asked nicely!

chickenntaters

Great essay, I can see why it got full marks.

I was just wondering something though. I also did the CSSA trial, and for this last question my teacher said that even though it doesn’t specifically ask it we MUST write about our chosen area within it (marriage & divorce).

So i ended up basically writing about what Christians and Muslims teach about marriage & divorce and how this impacts on people's lives , with my intro sentence being something like "Religious ethics, derived from sacred texts and stories have a significant impact in guiding people in many decisions in life. One area in which this is evident is marriage and divorce". Which is very different from what you have done, yet i got 20/20 for my response, as did 2 other girls who followed the same line as what i did.

Is my teacher teaching us the wrong thing?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
your teacher is totally wrong. look at the criteria.
your teacher is obviously a major boozer/stoner.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
CSSA 2004 trials ethics marking criteria

sorry, I dont have access to a scanner so I took a photo of it. (hope its legible for others)

http://www.tristanforsyth.com/resources/2004trialcriteria/ethics.JPG

@chicken person
I would say that your teacher *may* have taken a liberal approach to the marking criteria (ie to give out 3*20 marks-assuming its a small class that is) though they are sort of right about mentioning what you have studied. It makes the markers life a little easier if you identify straight away what you are talking about (refer to both criteria and the little blurb at the top of the CR studies question- the term escapes me at the moment).
I highly doubt you will get a HSC question that doesnt specify/refer to a syllabus area (either 'sources' or 'types') as it would be a truly crappy question.....

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
What do you reckon snapperhead, is it worth the 20 marks, personally i didnt think so when i wrote it, i was hoping for about 18

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
acmilan1987 said:
What do you reckon snapperhead, is it worth the 20 marks, personally i didnt think so when i wrote it, i was hoping for about 18
have not had the chance to look....but if your previous posts are of a similar standard, top band sounds about right (17-20).

Thats the problem with school based assessment...whilst it is supposed to follow a criteria, you are at the mercy of your teacher as usually:
1) its not double marked (HSC CR response is triple and sometimes quadruple marked ie double marked+marked by senior marker to ensure the standard is maintained)
2) school based marking is sometimes subjective, especially if the teacher knows who wrote the paper...

Hey, take the 20...makes your school based mark all the better!!!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
snapperhead said:
CSSA 2004 trials ethics marking criteria

@chicken person
I would say that your teacher *may* have taken a liberal approach to the marking criteria (ie to give out 3*20 marks-assuming its a small class that is) though they are sort of right about mentioning what you have studied. It makes the markers life a little easier if you identify straight away what you are talking about (refer to both criteria and the little blurb at the top of the CR studies question- the term escapes me at the moment).
I highly doubt you will get a HSC question that doesnt specify/refer to a syllabus area (either 'sources' or 'types') as it would be a truly crappy question.....

But Snapperehead, if this sort of question came up in the HSC you wouldnt refer to a separate part of the the syallabus in mentioning marriage and divorce or bioethics or whatever would you? Unless it asks... Seems like if you discuss those things your discussing the wrong syallbus dot-point altogether.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
But Snapperehead, if this sort of question came up in the HSC you wouldnt refer to a separate part of the the syallabus in mentioning marriage and divorce or bioethics or whatever would you? Unless it asks... Seems like if you discuss those things your discussing the wrong syallbus dot-point altogether.
what sort of question?

For a straight 20 marks, where else in the syllabus would the question come from?
The first part on ethical systems?
Like I said, if they asked a question like that, it would be a really crappy question
+
it would be a shocker to mark ie no room for higher order responses...
+
look at the glossary terms that a 20 mark question *may* be based on, then look at the syllabus
i.e
∑ religious ethics and their effect on the everyday lives of believers:
– the way in which TWO traditions give ethical guidance to ONE of the following areas:
- violence, war and peace
- bioethics, eg cloning, genetic engineering, IVF, euthanasia
- the environment
- work ethics and business/professional ethics
- sexual ethics
- marriage and divorce.

Students learn to:
∑ compare and contrast how TWO religious traditions use TWO of the following areas in forming their ethical teachings:
– sacred stories and texts
– beliefs
– individual and communal experiences
– authority within religious structures

Its got to be *at least* from one of these sections (if not both or one of them+ the first part of the syllabus...thus the wonder of the new changes!!!)
+
have a look at the marking criteria for the trials to see what I mean by "higher order responses"...... If it were me and they asked a lame question, I would be throwing everything in I know in and tying it to the question as best I could to justify 20 marks .

Sorry to carry on but I still dont get what you mean "if this sort of question came up in the HSC". What sort of question?

chickenntaters

snapperhead said:
what sort of question?
Sorry to carry on but I still dont get what you mean "if this sort of question came up in the HSC". What sort of question?
I think they meant the ethics question which was on this CSSA trial. If this question came up in the HSC, would you include the stuff on marriage & divorce, etc?... Which i'm guessing you would ("If it were me and they asked a lame question, I would be throwing everything in I know in and tying it to the question as best I could to justify 20 marks.")

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
the CSSA trial included areas that you could (and should) talk about...
"Evaluate the significance of religious ethics within TWO religious traditions, referring to TWO of the following sources in your analysis:
• Sacred stories and texts
• Beliefs
• Individual and communal experiences
• Authority within religious structures
•Conscience and decision-making"

When you look at the criteria (second or thrid pt from memory), you have totalk about a specific area otherwise your answer would be so broad, its not funny......

I understand what s/he is getting at but really, its not a matter of "separate issues/dot points" in the syllabus but rather a lack of knowledge of the syllabus and the criteira..

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
What im saying is that if they wanted someone to discuss marriage and divorce then they would have used this dot point as the basis of the question:

– the way in which TWO traditions give ethical guidance to ONE of the following areas:
- the environment
- sexual ethics
- marriage and divorce.

As opposed to using a seprate dot-point which is only asking to evaluate the sources of ethics from:

– beliefs

I see no reason as to include marriage and divorce in the question and id go by a similar format to the essay which was previously typed up and posted.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
What im saying is that if they wanted someone to discuss marriage and divorce then they would have used this dot point as the basis of the question:

- the environment
- sexual ethics
- marriage and divorce.

As opposed to using a seprate dot-point which is only asking to evaluate the sources of ethics from:

– beliefs

I see no reason as to include marriage and divorce in the question and id go by a similar format to the essay which was previously typed up and posted.
*sigh*
look at the marking criteria

"Effectively utilizes (sic) accurate examples from TWO religious traditions"

Like I said above, its not a matter of "separate issues/dot points" in the syllabus but rather a knowledge of the syllabus and the criteria.

If the question asked for
the way in which TWO traditions give ethical guidance to ONE of the following areas:
- the environment
- sexual ethics
- marriage and divorce.

by implication (ie READ THIS LINE the way in which TWO traditions give ethical guidance to ONE of the following areas, you would talk about:
– beliefs

and vice versa.......
ie for the sources stuff, the key line is compare and contrast how TWO religious traditions use TWO of the following areas in forming their ethical teachings:
...you need examples to show how the areas form their teachings otherwise (yet again) your response wpu;d be really broad and shallow (look at the terms used in the criteria to see what I mean by this)

knowledge of the syllabus is as important (if not more important) than *just* knowing content.

Read the rubric at the top of the CR questions in the trial exam (and in the HSC exam)....
(I remembered what it was called!!)
ie
In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
�* incorporate significant aspects of religion to illustrate your answer
�* use language and terminology appropriate to the study of religion
�* present ideas clearly in a well-structured answer

Now compare this to the marking criteria....its virtually the same (not specific to each question) and they give this info to you at the top of the CR studies!!!!
see no reason as to include marriage and divorce in the question
Without meaning to sound rude (which Im not), it doesnt matter what you think or feel is right for the question, its what the syllabus and the exam setters think is correct for the question!! This is why they make the syllabus available to students and this is why they put the (marking) rubric into the paper!
:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)