SOR I or II? (1 Viewer)

happycupcake

HSC
Hi :)

I currently do SORII (12 units altogether with all my subjects included). I don't like the subject, it's boring to me and kinda hard, but it's mandatory to do at least SORI at my school.

With that in mind, should I drop down to SORI? Apparently the teacher is better... but is it worth it to just stick with 2 unit? Is it actually twice as much work as the 1 unit course? is there much difference?
At my school, SORII people have 8 lessons a fortnight, whereas SORI students have 5 lessons a fortnight - is it worth it to stick with 2 unit and just do 3 extra lessons a fortnight?

I also don't do very high scaling subjects - no extensions - is it safer to stick with 2 unit (11 units seems risky), even though I'm not good at the subject? Will I actually do better in 1 unit?

Grr I wish religion wasn't mandatory.
Thanks!! :)

Brontecat

HSC
it's worth doing SOR II as it isn't quite as much work as most 2 unit subjects, especially if you look at the size of the three extra chapters SOR II students do - i find that the subject is very much memory based rather than really applying things, but it's up to you some people find it easier to do 11 rather than 12 and not having any extensions really won't affect your ATAR at all :)

and for a question that's a tad off topic, why did you pick advanced english over standard - because i've kind of been thinking about whether it's better to excel is standard where you have the ability to do advanced rather than doing the hsc in advanced english where i will have to sit the exam with
extension students?

happycupcake

HSC
it's worth doing SOR II as it isn't quite as much work as most 2 unit subjects, especially if you look at the size of the three extra chapters SOR II students do - i find that the subject is very much memory based rather than really applying things, but it's up to you some people find it easier to do 11 rather than 12 and not having any extensions really won't affect your ATAR at all :)

and for a question that's a tad off topic, why did you pick advanced english over standard - because i've kind of been thinking about whether it's better to excel is standard where you have the ability to do advanced rather than doing the hsc in advanced english where i will have to sit the exam with
extension students?
Thanks for your advice.
I chose advanced english because I never thought I was bad at it, and I guess Standard is really for people who are better in other subjects, not english. Yes it is better to be at the top of Standard than the bottom of Advanced but the argument is, if you're at the top of Standard, you should be doing Advanced anyway because you're good enough! It's always best to do what you're capable of and push yourself,and I always knew I would choose Advanced .. I mean depending on what english class you were in from years 7-10 (top class, bottom class), you get an idea of what you should choose (standard or adv).

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
do SOR II. for the amount of work you do [or don't] it scales like crazy and it's not that hard to get a band 6 in if you memorise the content [which isn't actually "twice as much" as SOR I - you just get to do another religious tradition and i think an extra topic but check the syllabus]. the hsc exam structure isn't that different from SOR I - there's only an extra extended response at the end.

concerning the teachers, you could ask the other teacher to help you. you could pretty much learn the course yourself - i recommend the excel and cambridge study guides.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
do SOR II. for the amount of work you do [or don't] it scales like crazy and it's not that hard to get a band 6 in if you memorise the content [which isn't actually "twice as much" as SOR I - you just get to do another religious tradition and i think an extra topic but check the syllabus]. the hsc exam structure isn't that different from SOR I - there's only an extra extended response at the end.

concerning the teachers, you could ask the other teacher to help you. you could pretty much learn the course yourself - i recommend the excel and cambridge study guides.
Exactly, SOR II isn't that much more work then SOR I and its worth 2 units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)