SOS urgent KING LEAR assesment task (1 Viewer)

great_guns

HSC
any ideas on how to even start this task:

TASK:
two literary critics are having a discussion about possible readings of william shakespeares KING LEAR.

write a discussion analysing how the literary qualities of the play imply different values and ideas (1250-1500w)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
I would go to the Rubric and underline the requirements then start.

Jaymer

HSC
I have exactly the same question but on Wuthering Heights, you dont go to richmond high do you? :p

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Hmmm, tricky questions always piss me off.

I would suppose a freudian reading (the ideas of the reading are derived from other tales/myths) and the family reading (values etc).

How to start it? I have no friggin idea.

freakcore

HSC
i like the nihilist and christian/redemptive views to discuss. Because its easy to choose a few ky scenes and contrast them.

I would look at the key scenes like- division of the kingdom, when lear loses it at cordelia. Look at the way he curses her. Purely aimed at her position and purpose as a woman in the context. Very mysoginistic (cant spell sorry).
Christian redemptive- lear may think cordelia alive- dies purged of his sin, play=purgetory
Nihilist- lears dies knowing he may as well have had cordelia executed himeself- ends with everyone dead and edgar not really that hopeful for the futrue at all.

As to how to start it...well, its a discussion, so showing both sides...open with intro showing audience both side of the cards, then synthesis time!!!!! some people like choosing a scene and then doing both views of it...i like doing that but some people...if not using the right transition words or doing it clumsily may find that this creates an uneven unfinished feeling to the work, so do each reading as a whole then the other
?????
hope thats helpfull.....:D

Pointy Ears

HSC
You would find that most King Lear questions ask you to analyse how different interpretations of Lear are affected by the context in which it was read. E.g in the 1600s, Lear challenged the authority of the chain of being, and had no moral ending, and was thus, seen as a controversial text, and rewritten by Nahum Tate to suit the wants of the audiences of that feudal- driven society. Whilst in the 1960s, the world was suffering from the effects of the wars, WW1, WW2, the Korean war and the Vietnam war. Society was quickly becoming very disillusioned with the whole idea of life because of the needless carnage and hate that circulated. The values of this society was the one in which Peter Brooke introduced his version of Lear: an existentialist view which reflected the cruelty, harshness and pointlessness of the godless world they lived in, shown through his use of the barren tundra as the setting, and the subdued, distant performances of the actors. Also, in the Eyre version, there are feminist overtones conveyed through the portrayal of Lear as the tyrant, and the daighters, Regan and GOnerill as the victims of domestic disturbance.

So just understand that interpretations and readings are shaped by the values of the audiences of the time and this is reflected in their film/stage techniques, just repeat that in different words, as though you were linking it in an essay. This shows your teacher that youre still on track.
Remember to write also, that it is through the universality of the themes, ideas, and values expressed that enable them to be reinterprted throuhgout time, in many differnte contexts. I suppose that could be the starting point of your interview.

*phew*

Hope that helped cos i remember how hard KL used to be for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)