SOS...what should I do? (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
I've just turned 18 and I've never had a job before...my parents didn't let me work when I turned 15 'cos they're like "you have to study" blah blah...as a result, I only started looking last Christmas and got rejected like 100000000 times...Maccas aren't keen on me anymore either...what is left?! P.S. How do you make your resume stand out and get an interview? So frustrated...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Look at other people's resumes!

Try to stay away from the wizard ones you can make in word.

Skeeta

HSC
redruM said:
Look at other people's resumes!

Try to stay away from the wizard ones you can make in word.
hahah i agree, we just got a heap of applications in at work and they all look exactly the same.. i was wondering if the same person applied like 20 times

erikalovesmusic

HSC
my advice......keep applying and going back..
I know what you mean, my parents wont allow me to have a job either, it kinda suxs

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
just keep at it i guess...my parents won't let me get a job until exams are over, i know how annoying it can be.

HSC
i'm having this problem too for the same reason as you guys. also because before then i always leave it to the last month before xmas to apply. i was going to apply for a job last year when i was 17 but i ended up going overseas during christmas. so far i only worked like for 2 days in a music festival which is really just volunteering.
i tried for a checkout position at the new big w store in liverpool last month but after like how many interviews i'm still unsuccessful for some reason i don't know. they said training is provided so it can't be experience. i'm guessing it's cos of my availability times cos i said i'm available for weekends only. damn uni work.
can't work at places like maccas and muffin break and they said i'm too old.

Pace_T

HSC
BAHAHAHHAA r u serious u never had a job before!!

**freakstar87** said:
i'm having this problem too for the same reason as you guys. also because before then i always leave it to the last month before xmas to apply. i was going to apply for a job last year when i was 17 but i ended up going overseas during christmas. so far i only worked like for 2 days in a music festival which is really just volunteering.
i tried for a checkout position at the new big w store in liverpool last month but after like how many interviews i'm still unsuccessful for some reason i don't know. they said training is provided so it can't be experience. i'm guessing it's cos of my availability times cos i said i'm available for weekends only. damn uni work.
can't work at places like maccas and muffin break and they said i'm too old.
haha yea i had like 3 mates apply at that store for the interviews. one got the job and he had crap availability (i think weekends only) but i duno 4 sure...

i have 2 admit i had to bullshit my job experience hard for getting this crazy good job for a HUGE company and then i got it becoz of my 'experience' i nthat field :p . then i got REAL experience in that field of work and then it was much easier to get jobs everywhere else heheheee

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
i have 2 admit i had to bullshit my job experience hard for getting this crazy good job for a HUGE company and then i got it becoz of my 'experience' i nthat field :p . then i got REAL experience in that field of work and then it was much easier to get jobs everywhere else heheheee
hahahahah same. I made up alot of shit in my resume prior to getting any jobs. In case they do check up, put an actual contact number for reference and make sure its of someone you know and youve told or its been disconnected or something. Sounds risky but fortunately for me, the majority of my ex employers had never called up on my references to check up on me. Now that i do have actual work experience, i just scrap the bullshit from my resume. Who cares, risk it if you want a job.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Don't worry, I didn't get a job (besides 1 weeks work experience) until first year uni (when I was 17/18) and even then it was casual job for only a few weeks. I started off doing some data entry for a few weeks and then Christmas casual work at Australia Post, and I guess it just went from there. I made up for my lack of work experience with extra curricular activities.

Keep your resume simple, short and straight to the point. That's how you will get noticed.

santaslayer

HSC
i never got a job until this yr...im freaking 20.

i just bs'd my resume up.

i am fairly articulate and can write some real bs if i want to. do the same. u're only 18...nothings gonna happen even if they find out...

maybe put u on the macca's blacklist..lol :p

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
santaslayer said:
i never got a job until this yr...im freaking 20.

i just bs'd my resume up.

i am fairly articulate and can write some real bs if i want to. do the same. u're only 18...nothings gonna happen even if they find out...

maybe put u on the macca's blacklist..lol :p
b.s.?! What's that?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i don't think i could straight-out lie on my resume. especially when it comes to previous experience. I mean, what if they ask you to do something you say you've done heaps before but actually have no clue. That doesn't leave a good impression.

If i was an employer, i'd value honestly and loyalty (because the emplyee would be grateful for getting the job and theoretically work harder) than someone with no convincingly significant experience.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
If i was an employer, i'd value honestly and loyalty (because the emplyee would be grateful for getting the job and theoretically work harder) than someone with no convincingly significant experience.
But how are you supposed to gauge whether a person is honest and loyal in a 20 minute interview? Experience is something solid, somewhat of a guarantee that the person isn't a retard who doesn't know how to do a decent job.

monzi

HSC
Cykologi_gal be persistent! I was in your position, my parents wanted me to study and not work. Bad idea that turned out to be and I told them it was, but they didnt listen to me until it was too late. It took me so long to find a job, but I was so persistent. I sent over 50 resumes to every law firm in my surroundings areas and I received two replies from 50. I'm now working at a great suburbian law firm to attain experience for my law degree, great boss, great environment and fantastic pay, I started of with just voluntary work experience, she liked me so much she gave me a job and now I'm making about $850 dollars full time on the holidays and when I work during uni, about $450. Best thing, she pays me cash, she doesnt think as a uni student I should be taxed for anything. Its great. I also work at Big W on weekends so be PERSISTENT, its the key.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Just keep trying. Employers dig experience but everyone starts off with nothing so the first few jobs are always the hardest to find.

Don't lie on your resume. Just rummage through all your qualifications, awards etc and make them sound big. :p

References are also important. People actually call them up. It might be hard to find good references because past employers aren't an option. Maybe you can call up Mr. Yalichev. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)