Sound quality of a burned CD (1 Viewer)

Does the sound card affect the sound quality of a burned CD?

• No. Definitely doesn't!

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Yes. Of course it does!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whoa..? What are you talking about?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Screw this, I don't give a *beep* about the quality of CDs.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
....And also does the sound card of my computer affect the sound quality of the cd burned?
According to what I know, that's a "no" to this question because the burned CD inherits all the information from the original CD (or the source) some little changes to the burned CD might occur depending on the software used (e.d. it's different for media player/neor(there are different options, too)/burning an image of the original CD). Despite the little changes, however, as far as I know the sound quality of the product is not affected by the sound card in anyway because it's not even involved in the process.

sunny

meh.
HSC
It surely doesn't affect the quality of the sound. Thats only if the file was burnt onto the cd. But if the source was ripped in an analog way it would depend on the sound card slightly.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well there might b little glithches in the copied cd u know (which might b caused during copying), but as with the sound card- no i would say.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
the sound quality of a burnt cd is affected mainly by the recorder, medium and player. since the sound card is none of these, it doesn't matter if you have an Audigy or AC97.

essentially if you're burning music to CD you shouldn't burn up to the brim, nor should you use 80min+ CDs.

but then again, if you're not playing your music on a $10000+ sound system, with all your pre-amps and shit, who gives a damn audiophilic sound quality? a 128kbps mp3 file will do. :)

fatmuscle

HSC
if you're worried about the quality of the sound, firstly make sure you have a decent set of speakers.

If you have dodgy speakers, no matter what the quality (unless it's really really really bad) is, you'll have bad sound.

if you're comparing an original cd with a burnt cd, and using a standard discman with the crummy earphones that come with it, you won't find a difference.

pretty soon ppl will be discussing which is better at playback quality: MD's or MP3 players

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
one more thing, when you download songs and stuff, make sure the quality is like at least 192kbs

anything less than than in my opinion sounds mono.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
one more thing, when you download songs and stuff, make sure the quality is like at least 192kbs

anything less than than in my opinion sounds mono.
Agree! I've formatted a song in 6 different bitrates before (64, 96, 128, 160, 192 and 320) before and tried listening to them very carefully. You can still here a qualitative difference between 128 and 160 and it starts to defcress between 160 and 192 ;) And I was just wondering.. can anyone hear (not feel) the difference between an AC97 and an Audigi? (I don't want to distract anyone's decision... but there IS a difference *personally* :p

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
ARE YOU INSULTING MY AC97?
That and my $8 speakers make a great team!
When I put the London Symphony orchestra on at full volume the whole house vibrates in sync, just as if it was placed right in the middle of the action :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
Agree! I've formatted a song in 6 different bitrates before (64, 96, 128, 160, 192 and 320) before and tried listening to them very carefully. You can still here a qualitative difference between 128 and 160 and it starts to defcress between 160 and 192 ;) And I was just wondering.. can anyone hear (not feel) the difference between an AC97 and an Audigi? (I don't want to distract anyone's decision... but there IS a difference *personally* :p
For the picky ears and picky speakers, yes it can be quite noticable.

I have a nice subwoofer system on AC97 and I'm very happy with it - the only thing I'd miss not having audigy would be the 5.1 set up *drools*

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
ARE YOU INSULTING MY AC97?
That and my $8 speakers make a great team!
When I put the London Symphony orchestra on at full volume the whole house vibrates in sync, just as if it was placed right in the middle of the action :p
No no no! Please don't misunderstand :) I am currently using AC97 as well and it sounds great :) I have an Audigi lying around and just don't want to chuck it in my case until i get an extra fan (which I've planned for about a year and a half now) because there isn't much room for ventilation for my dodgy GF2 :p (lol does GF2 need to cool? Umm.. pity for some reason the GF2 card isn't compatible with my sister's computer [same motherboard], so I had to put the GF4MX on her computer :) Any ideas? I got shaky screen) but still, I wasn't insulting AC97 - it's very good indeed ;)

Originally posted by sunny
I have a nice subwoofer system on AC97 and I'm very happy with it - the only thing I'd miss not having audigy would be the 5.1 set up *drools*
Can't you have a 5.1 set up on an AC97?

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
basically to have 'very high quality sound' every component in the sound system must be as of high a quality as possible. so if you're buying an audigy 2 ZS (or whatever the latest is called), buy the top of the range speaker set, use digital input etc...

but for us, listening to mp3s (which only consists of two channels), a plain AC97 will do. i've used AC97 and SBLive on my comp and i can't discern much of a difference using an altec lansing 45.1 2.1 speaker...

IMO, as long as we dun invest on $10,000 super-tweeters and audiophile-grade amps, it doesn't really matter if you use AC97 or SBLive or Audigy. as long as the sound is clear for mp3 listening at a normal volume (which it is on all those chipsets), then it is fine.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
use digital input etc...
Don't. need. digital. At. all. To make good sound. Sound is an ANALOGUE wave...

But to get really good sound from a computer, you really need an EXTERNAL soundcard. Audigy has one. The reason for this, is there is quite a bit of interference inside a metal box with all the computer components.

Then you need good speaker cable. And good speakers.

And then you realise its a computer, and not a stereo, and it will never sound even nearly as good.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
But the sources are very likely to be digital these days :p and you need ACD and CAD functions to let you hear the sound somehow ;) Imagine you are playing a game with great sound effect but you can't convert it to analogue :D

But to get really good sound from a computer, you really need an EXTERNAL soundcard. Audigy has one. The reason for this, is there is quite a bit of interference inside a metal box with all the computer components.
ummm.. I have a thing against external sound cards.. And I think most people do too :p (cost?) They look stylish though :D And there is a new external soundblaster which comes with mp3 support and other wonderful features + a remote control :)

Then you need good speaker cable. And good speakers.
hehee.. I just can't help.. I saw a blanky $2000 speaker cable the other day.. that was just insane.. I'm pretty sure that will only improve the physical quality of the sound you hear by at most 0.1% (and maybe theoretically it imporves the sound by 50%.. you know.. theoretically) Can someone please tell me the difference between a $2000 gold plated lead and a 15 bucks audio cable on an ethical, economical and scientific level? *confused* btw.. the Logitec Z-640 looks really great.. only $120 :D should i get it? or pay a tiny bit more ($10) for a set of Creative Inspire5.1 5200 instead? Totally no idea about speakers.

And then you realise its a computer, and not a stereo, and it will never sound even nearly as good.
Whaaaaat aboooooout sooooooooound effeeeeeects? Areeeen't theeeeeeey 100% digitaaaaaaaaaaal originaaaaaaaaaaally?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I have to agree with mitochondria on sound being better in digital here. Using digital input instead of analogue saves the sound from an extra step of A/D conversion preventing quality loss.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
if you want good sound, top of the range, then get good speakers or headphones

like the senheiser headphones! THEy ROCK!
pricey but :D

the only headphones that are able to produce the closests sound to speakers

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wats good and cheap (<==think uni student) for 5.1 speakers?
or just damn worthwhile?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
why get 5.1 when you can get 6.1?!
muAHuah but there isnt very many speakers that support 6.1
(i think altec have em, or was it creative? one of them... im talking bout pc speakers)

7.1 is released to, but not here is australia

do u want pc speakers or normal speakers?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
wats good and cheap (<==think uni student) for 5.1 speakers?
or just damn worthwhile?
Depends on your budget.. you can get some dodgy ones for around $80 i guess but the good ones aren't that expensive as well :) I mentioned the Logitech Z-640 and Creative Inspire5.1 5200 above.. you could check those out if you are not a audiophile as Frigid said :p

Originally posted by sunny
I have to agree with mitochondria...
thanks sunny :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)