Source Book of Readings - HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

eveajac

I have just had a bit of a shock...looking through the BOS syllabus i noticed that the "Source Book of Readings" was mentioned a lot. I just had a look at it, it is HUGE and our teacher has never once mentioned that it even exists!
Please help...do you use it? What is it helpful for?
Thanks

NeverSummer

Umm yeah ive got it..i think u can access it on the BOS website (am i takling about the right thing?) Its supposed to make the subject fair to everyone even if they dont have a real teacher..like for country kids and stuff.
Its not really very good...it just has a couple of pages exerpt from diff historians and their view on what is history. Its really not all that useful

sugared plum

HSC
It's ok. Just try to use those historians and write after their names (BOS source book). Apparently you get more marks that way.

My teacher just made us take a few quotes from a few. It's just showing off, essentially.

Like Ranke, the classicists are in there, and you'll find Carr-Elton debate; there's the Marxist Eric Hobsbawm, Marx himself is there etc. And some nice postmodernists. Actually it's all there. The Evans one I think we got lots out of. And Peter Burke is nice.
I lie a great deal in history x, and get different quotes form the people and pretend I found them in the book. I'm not sure if that will work in the hsc, though.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
just like other people have mentioned... it is not REQUIRED. Just a good source to use for the historians you are researching. Like if you do John Vincent, and require a quote of his, use the booklet. I didn't know tho that you had to say "BOS source booklet" better remember that for the exam.

sugared plum

HSC
Oh you don't have to, but my teacher just said it was a good idea - makes it really obvious, and you get more marks.

I did it in the trials (in which I faked a great deal) and it easily showed me how many people I'd put in - I was counting hahaha.

*10#

Actually i think you do have to
last years HSC question on What is History
was "with reference to the source and other sources, discuss how historians use evidence to reconstruct the past"

- the first source referred to was the one given "That nobel dream - the problem with historical objectivity"

- and "other sources" means info. from the BOS booklet - and i reckon u really should mention these as the syllabus requires it and even if u write an awesome essay u might have some pedantic marker who says - oh they didnt use "other sources" and marks down

- really it is just bullshit and i made quotes up in my trial but i think ill bother learning some for the exam

- as for case study i dont think u have to bother

pranks85

Originally posted by *10#
Actually i think you do have to
last years HSC question on What is History
was "with reference to the source and other sources, discuss how historians use evidence to reconstruct the past"

- the first source referred to was the one given "That nobel dream - the problem with historical objectivity"

- and "other sources" means info. from the BOS booklet - and i reckon u really should mention these as the syllabus requires it and even if u write an awesome essay u might have some pedantic marker who says - oh they didnt use "other sources" and marks down

When it says "from other sources", it means from sources other than the one in the exam. The source book is there to provide you with ideas as to the range of interpretations of history as a discipline, and to provide you with a brief overview of the ideas of various historians. So yes, if you write with reference to only the unseen source, you will be severly marked down, but if you write with reference to the source and other sources that may or may not be in the BoS source book, it'll still cover the marking guidelines. It may even impress upon them the fact that you've gone out and bothered to collect a wide range of interpretations.

yeah, i'm sort of the other way - our teacher taught us from the source book, and nothing else, so i've had to go out there and find other interpretations. the warren book seems good, are lots of ppl referring to that tho? don't want to be repetitive!

tink 18

My teacher has never shown us the source book or even refers to it but i know it exists. With what *10# said though "other sources" means anyother source it doesnt have to be the source book, like you can use works by marx or Herododotos you dont have to just use the source book.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
okay so wait-- so we have to (/ought to) state the name of the source - whether from the BOS book thing or otherwise - in our essays? i mean i can understand why perhaps for the case study question, but is it necessary for the first question?

i always figured we just used as many HISTORIANS as possible, as opposed to as many literal sources as possible.

i have never mentioned where my quotes/views come from, aside from their direct link to the historian, and i haven't had any trouble thus far...

?????

arls

Originally posted by gloria*
okay so wait-- so we have to (/ought to) state the name of the source - whether from the BOS book thing or otherwise - in our essays? i mean i can understand why perhaps for the case study question, but is it necessary for the first question?

i always figured we just used as many HISTORIANS as possible, as opposed to as many literal sources as possible.

i have never mentioned where my quotes/views come from, aside from their direct link to the historian, and i haven't had any trouble thus far...

?????
Thats exactly waht ive been doing.... umm im confused now too... is our methodology correct or should be mentioning that historians come from say, the warren text?
??????

pinksugar

thats what I'm doing too...

Our teacher only taught us from the source book... then she gave us some books to use by ourselves for other points of view...

which none of us read, of course, haha...

The source book has enough information on the prominent historians for you to understand their Point of view.. you're supposed to go out and read the rest of the book based on what you understood in the BOS booklet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)