• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sources sources ! (1 Viewer)

darshil

Replicant
HSC
They ALL must go !
hahah sorry

We have a holiday task to analyse some sources (life on the trenches), and ive done about 10 but i think i think about it too much and still i do them incorrectly. I focus on their provernance, motive, perspective, audience, content and then lastly reliability then usefullness. But i think i have been doing to it too structured, and not letting the source structure my response. It would be great if anyone could have a look at the source analysis and see if they are on the right track.

Thanks a gazillion ! seriously

Kittikhun

HSC
Hello.

Is it possible to show me the sources that you are using? I can't really analyze your work without them. Put them up and I'll check it and also fix up some technical terms.

Also, never call an artillery battery an 'artillery post'. It's called an artillery battery.

It was to such an extent that French soldiers mutinied in the year 1917, 27th May. The author of this source is a private, and it is his perspective of the plain food and how it must be ‘washed down’ Even though he is higher in rank, his experiences would be similar and this high rank is now reflected on the perspective.

The French soldiers did not mutiny because of food in 1917. They mutinied after the failed Neville offensive in 1917 at Chemin-des-Dames on the River Aisne because of the futility and the poor leadership that they saw in the offensive. It was mostly because of that they mutinied, not food, but the poor conditions in the trenches during the war did play a part in causing the French to mutiny but it was the Neville offensive that was the prime reason that sparked the mutiny of the French Army in 1917, not the food.

Private is not a high rank. It is the lowest. In the Allied armed forces during World War One it was the lowest rank of an enlisted man and it still continues today. In the French Army the lowest rank is the 'soldat' which means soldier. There is no 'private' in the French Army but the 'soldat' would be the equivalent to a private which is the lowest rank in the armed forces of many Western Armed forces.

Follow the follwing link and look down at the page which shows the table of ranks in the French Army.

Ranks in the French Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Put your bibliography in there also since it is required for your task. Good luck and tone down on the sophisticated language a bit. Use your language and be yourself. You'll support your point better.

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad
They ALL must go !
hahah sorry

We have a holiday task to analyse some sources (life on the trenches), and ive done about 10 but i think i think about it too much and still i do them incorrectly. I focus on their provernance, motive, perspective, audience, content and then lastly reliability then usefullness. But i think i have been doing to it too structured, and not letting the source structure my response. It would be great if anyone could have a look at the source analysis and see if they are on the right track.

Thanks a gazillion ! seriously
Yeah sorry, can't help without knowing what the sources are...

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Thanks Kittikhun and myonlyhope90 for the replies, seriously. Ill try and post those source - definitely.
and thanks for the suggestions, i'll fix them right away.

Kittikhun

HSC
I don't mean to hassle you, but when is your assignment due in?

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Its due 6th of Feburary. So This weekend im fixing it all up and finishing it.

Kittikhun

HSC
Is it possible if I can read another draft of it?

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Yeah sure,
Basically the sources are on trench life, and some are memoirs, some are pictures and some are secondary to present the life on the trenches. Some dont have a direct relation to life on the trenches (which is in the usefulness). I have just done a few more with the suggestions you offered. (I liked doing the last three).
Thanks for all the help bud.

Last edited:

Kittikhun

HSC
Hello.

Is it possible for you to show me your bibliography?

Kittikhun

HSC
I've fixed up your first source analysis. Tell if it is OK or not in your view.

Source 2
Source 2 is a secondary source, taken from the secondary high school Modern History book Evidence of War. It shows the layout of a trench, a ubiquitous feature of World War I, by illustration. The illustration is a visual representation of the trench system, used in the place of descriptions or photographs, probably because of the author’s intention to provide better clarity and understanding for the reader, as the previous methods mentioned before might have been difficult for the target audience of the book (high school secondary students) to comprehend.

The author of this source is Anne McCallum, a secondary school teacher/ author who has the role of teaching secondary students about World War I. She wasn’t alive during World War I so this source isn’t a primary source but instead a secondary source. It is highly likely that she has gathered both primary and secondary sources in her research which may have influenced her perspective towards World War I and her own visual representation of a World War One trench system/ layout. This could potentially create potential bias which could have been manifested in her illustration. Depending on the types of sources she herself referred to during her research and her method of research this here could impede on the reliability of this source.

The source, being published in Evidence of War has the purpose to educate secondary school students undertaking study in Modern History. Through this, the target audience and the purpose or motive of her illustration could be established. It can be said that the target audience are secondary school students undertaking the study of World War I, so therefore the motive or purpose of this source is to educate and inform these students about the trench system of World War I.

The reliability and usefulness of this source may be questioned. The illustration was produced after more than 80 years since the end of World War One. This raises the question if this illustration is really analogous to the real trench system found in World War 1. However, this source correlates to other photographic and descriptive sources of the period. This reliability can be further supported as the source is very general (due to its motive), and no specifics are offered between German and Allied trench systems (which were noticeably different). Basically, it is a very fundamental display of the main features of the trench system which can be noted from such features of the illustration such as the barbed wire and the dugouts which the soldiers would sleep and rest in despite the uncomfortable conditions (known through the diaries and memoirs of soldiers who served in World War One)

In understanding all this, this source can be said to be reliable and/or not reliable in certain aspects. It is derived from many secondary sources, which with recent understandings and discoveries provide fairly accurate renditions on trench system. However, it may not be reliable if the potential bias of the author is taken into account which includes her perspective towards trench warfare and the research conducted towards it.

Conclusively, the source is useful to the historian for the reason that it provides generalised idea of the conditions experienced in World War I along with the foundation to understand why the soldiers had problems such as disease, mud and general discomfort. On the other hand it should be noted that the source has a purpose of educating secondary school students and does not include enough meticulous detail required to make judgments on the trench system of World War One.

Last edited:

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Thanks man, i fixed all the things up and handed the assignment yesterday. Ill let you know what mark i get. I bet Source 2 will be getting full hahha. Thanks though, really appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)