HSC
sources are very important to substantiate your points

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Well it wouldnt have to be specifically picture or diary entries :p

I think you mean historiography?

HSC
our school has always been encouraged to incorporate primary and secondary sources into our essay responses. it shows a greater understanding of the topic, and the opinions which shape a modern view of the events/people.

as an example, for my essay on russia, i'm refering to Michael Lynch, David Christian, Thomas & Mc Andrew, etc.

don't use sources such as Excel, or the ETA.

but definitely TRY and make reference to sources. it shows a good grasp of the topic and may be what gets you a few extra marks.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You don't specifically need historiography for WWI per se. You don't need to say "but Historian X said this and this" (Which you do need to say for Nat Studies and Peace/Conflict Studies).

You do need to know the content of WWI so you can identify if a source has incorrect or misleading information. If you got say a source which said "America was the major contributor to Allied victory in WWI". You would obviously talk about the role of the British Naval blockades, Germany starving and the effect of the Ludendorff Offensives on the German troops.

For the essays, primary sources are irrelevant - don't use them. Ever. At all. Only refer to what other historians have written on the topic as Bridget is doing (I'm using the same historians :p)

DaRanjed

When you say sources, do you mean stuff that historians have said...or quotes from people such as Hitler or Riefenstahl?

Can it be both?

sarahd

yes of course it can be both-
quoting hitler or riefenstahl would be an example of using a primary source - if it was something they said at the time, whilst if it was something Riefenstahl said later in an interview that's a secondary source
-quoting historians is an example of a secondary source
-using both will increase the sophistication of your response
-however, the advice i have heard is to ensure you have your own argument, and use historians to back it up, rather than simply giving a recall of what other ppl think- in fact if you look at the criteria for history essays one of them is about sustaining a line of argument. therefore this is important and perhaps more so than even mentioning other viewpoints, as this isn't specifically mentioned in marking criteria for 2unit history... although it's definitely in the syllabus.
-it's also sophisticated to demonstrate an awareness of historiography. e.g. in Germany intentionalist vs. structuralist debate, or in the Conflict of the Pacific, the affect of national perspective when viewing history. [many japanese historians don't even acknowledge the rape of nanking]...but again, it should only be a sidepoint, facts are equally important in this course.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Alot of people seem confused about historiography.

Historiography is what you do in WWI, you evaluate the accuracy biases etc of sources.

Just quoting a historian in an essay is not historiography chucking in a sentence about their possible bias or offering your own opinion on them is.

Believe me I know, I did extension History and a major work worth 90% of my assessmen mark was historiography.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I did extension history too and what you've said isn't true...historiography is the study of the ways in which history is interpreted, as opposed to studying the events/personalities themselves. WW1 isn't really historiography, it's source analysis more than anything else. Discussing the debates between historians in your essays IS historiography, as long as you're not just chucking in the odd quote without actually discussing it.

Kate_J

Gemita is right, from what I have learnt historiography is more about different people's interpretations etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)