space dot point (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
The dot point says:

Present infomation and use avalilable evidence to discuss the factors affecting the strength of the gravitatinal force.

I have looked around the web and found about nothing, all i can think of is:

*The greater the mass the greater the grav force.
*The smaller the radius the greater the grav force.

What did everybody else say for this one?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
that basically covers it, and i also think that u might need 2 relate it 2 earth. i think gravitational force is also distorted by objects around eg whether u are standing next 2 a massive object like a mountain, but i dun think we need 2 know this.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
that basically covers it, and i also think that u might need 2 relate it 2 earth. i think gravitational force is also distorted by objects around eg whether u are standing next 2 a massive object like a mountain, but i dun think we need 2 know this.
IIRC you do have to relate this to the Earth - you should add that the Earth isn't of uniform density so you might encounter variations in the strength of the gravitational force as a result (e.g. stronger over very dense part), the Earth isn't a perfect sphere (flattened at poles and bulging at equator)..,your original two points do encompass this but you must be specific.

gnrlies

HSC
i think theres three distinct possibilities:

density of location (i.e. water or air etc)
location - at poles or equator
altitude

Giant Lobster

HSC
It may be relevant to also mention that since force depends on mass, the acceleration produced is always the same. i.e. 9.8 on earth. You could prove that with the ma = GMm/r^2 and the m's cancel out.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
looking at F = GMm/r^2, you can just say that F gets bigger when M gets bigger, F gets bigger when m gets bigger, F gets smaller when r gets bigger, and F gets bigger when G gets bigger.. I think you already know enough :)

something related to gravity:
http://utslive.com/versionbeta4/as/planetary.html

it's a flash simulation. after you play around with it you'll understand what gravity is :)

have fun

gnrlies

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
looking at F = GMm/r^2, you can just say that F gets bigger when M gets bigger, F gets bigger when m gets bigger, F gets smaller when r gets bigger, and F gets bigger when G gets bigger.. I think you already know enough :)

something related to gravity:
http://utslive.com/versionbeta4/as/planetary.html

it's a flash simulation. after you play around with it you'll understand what gravity is :)

have fun
thats not for this point. It has to be a factor affecting gravity on earth in practical situations. I think theres another similar one where you have to discuss it using the equation.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
IIRC you do have to relate this to the Earth - you should add that the Earth isn't of uniform density so you might encounter variations in the strength of the gravitational force as a result (e.g. stronger over very dense part), the Earth isn't a perfect sphere (flattened at poles and bulging at equator)..,your original two points do encompass this but you must be specific.
yeh thats what i mean, just bit lazy at typin

Originally posted by underthesun
G is constant, its known as the gravitational constant, it cant get bigger

the eqn u r looking 4 is where u sub F=ma and cancel out the m, hence a (or g) = GM/r^2

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
1. differences with planetary body
2. differences with altitude
3. geographical location (the crust is denser in some places due to dense mineral deposits, which can affect g)
4. the earth isn't spherical, but 'flattened' at the poles, which increases g at the poles
5. the spin of the earth creates a centrifugal effect at the equator, so g is less. this has no effect at the poles.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
u are right.....refer to formula f equals g mone mtwo all over radius squared....
but as sique has elaborated u should take into account other factors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)