Space: Inertial and Non-inertial frames (1 Viewer)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Could someone give an investigation to help distinguish inertial and non-inertial frames of referecnce..? I have some gaps in my pracs or notes...

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
i'm not sure whats on that site, but if you simply put a mass on a piece of string and connect it to a sensative spring balance, accelleration in any plane will cause a change in the balance reading. to me this seems the easiest method anyway:D

AlexZ

The EASIEST one to remember is a boat. Put a ball on a table, or attach it to a string. Then when the boat accelerates, the ball rolls off the table, or the string swings back. This happens when is decelerates and when it turns. i.e. it's in a non-inertial frame of reference.

When it's going at constant velocity or is stationary, the ball doesn't move. This is also a good example because it's easy to show how it's impossible to tell between something going at constant velocity and something that's still (without looking out the side of the boat).

Experiments like these are all you need.

AlexZ

Ok, so the boat goes over a wave and accelerates upwards, the tension in the string decreases. Whoop-dee-doo. Your little scenario isn't any different to mine except that you can measure the acceleration which isn't required. Whatever example people choose, just make sure you can destinguish between non-inertial, inertial and between stationary and constant velocity.

Oh while you dishing out advice, I might dish out some of my own. Make sure you relate that to a specific example otherwise you'll get marked down. Whether that example involves a boat, plane, car, bus whatever, you still need an example.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I personally like the boat analogy better. Easier to understand :cool:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Think of inertia as similar to momentum....
Newton's description of inertial frames is ones that are not accelerating in any way, and relies only on its momentum to travel (no net force).

Non-inertial would be the other case with net acceleration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)