Spare Time (1 Viewer)

jesscookie

HSC
whats there to do on weekends that you dont spend getting drunk and having getting drunk recovery parties? is their anything in Armidale that's interesting?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
What are you into?
There's heaps to do, drive to Sydney, drive to the Gold Coast just to mention a few :)
But honestly you could play computer games, play real games, go out for a picnic or excursion with your block, go bowling, bit of paintball, horse riding, board games, card games etc etc.
Hang out watch some tv or movies, movies are usually good.

But really being from Parkes it won't be that much different, what exactly could you do in Sydney you can't do in Armidale? not much to be honest, maybe get to a beach in under 4 hours that's about it or if you are into raves or concerts every weekend maybe that.

You could always study as well :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
at albies the quietest days of the week around college are the weekends - a lot of people go home (that live within a couple of hours) and you'll probably make friends with people and do this...

a lot of 21sts are usually on too, so that's another weekend activity

during 2nd and 3rd term there is netball and rugby on saturdays so that can take up 8am - 5pm...

there are heaps of pubs in armidale so that's another option... there's a town pool which is nice in summer... there are national parks nearby for 4wdriving, swimming, camping etc..

and yeah there are also the assignment and study options!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
jesscookie said:
do they play hockey much up there? does anybody board their horses nearby?
For sports there are usually 3 comps for most sports, an inter-college, a uni and a town comp. Here's a link to sportsune which has links to club info.
http://www.une.edu.au/sportune/
http://www.une.edu.au/sportune/clubs/hockey.html
and here's Hockey New England
http://www.hockeynewengland.org.au/

As for horses, I don't think a lot of people have that kind of money to spend even if they are into the hobby :)

Last edited:

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
the only people i know that have their horses nearby (within 2hours) are people that live close, or that have friends close that they agist with... but yeah at albies there are a lot of people into campdrafting etc.

jesscookie

HSC
i have relo's over at tamworth that i might be able to shack him up with... how far is the coast? is the nearest coast place of any note Coffs?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
jesscookie said:
i have relo's over at tamworth that i might be able to shack him up with... how far is the coast? is the nearest coast place of any note Coffs?
yeah coffs would be the closest... so you're looking at a couple of hours, but if you are desperate you can do a day trip (and a couple of my mates went the other week just for a night and it only cost them about $65 a night at a resort for a 6 bed place, so that's pretty reasonable)

if u want a swim (and can handle it not being a beach) the most popular place at the moment (at albies anyway) seems to be blue hole.. it's in the middle of the national park, waterfalls and rock jumps and stuff... pretty fun

as for whoever asked about paintball - i have no idea, i've never been and don't know anyone who has - meanwhile i just got home from a night out - was opening night of 'pulse' nightclub (formerly mojo's) - waste of time (and $5)... newie was going off though

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
So Sevens has changed its name once again? that club doesn't seem to last long under any name, I wonder if Dodgey Lees is still across the road?

The last time I went was long long ago so no idea what it's like atm but they seem to be still in business http://www.laserskirmish.com/AUNZ/NSW/Armidale/default.htm

Here are some pics from when ArmidaleLAN went, but you won't need to go if you live on college as it's LANday everyday there :)
http://www.armidalelan.com
http://www.armidalelan.com/madshots.php?month=paintb01
Prices listed in a post here
http://www.armidalelan.com/toiletdoor/viewtopic.php?topic=1053&forum=1

A lot of this stuff about Armidale you can find out about from google anyway, it's a pretty big city so chances are someone has something about it somewhere.

jesscookie

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
A lot of this stuff about Armidale you can find out about from google anyway, it's a pretty big city so chances are someone has something about it somewhere.
but we want to know from you guys, who go there and know what its like!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
jesscookie said:
but we want to know from you guys, who go there and know what its like!!
The uni students wouldn't know about most of the townie stuff though :)

Besides it would be no fun if we told you everything that goes on because you wouldn't believe most of the weirder stuff and you most likely would be going to college with preconceived ideas that you might not even experience depending on your personality.

Say if I told you back when I went we would drive to Guyra every few nights to have steak at the (then) 24 hour roadhouse at 3am because dinner was crap you'd say "oh sure people would be silly enough to drive 40 or so kms for a steak at that hour instead of sleeping", but you know what? We had nights that we'd pack the place out with 25 people from Austin and surrounds looking for a good steak after partying :) We went so often we even had a frequent eaters program and received significant discounts, but it's a nice drive and we rather hooned it up on the Hwy than in town anyway.

Or about the parties we would throw in the CS building or the security guys having a BBQ with us at 2am at the Sports Union when we didn't feel like going to Guyra and we managed to get to coles before it shut at midnight and bought a few 50 cent bread and a heap of sausages for under 15bucks.

No matter what you do if you are easy going you will have fun because you will find plenty of looneys some of which will fit your definition of fun. You don't even have to get drunk if you dont' feel like it. I have a text file with a "You've been living at Austin too long if..." type thing on it, once i finish this class i'll post it if you like, but most of the items are in-jokes you wouldn't get unless you've lived there at that time :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
No matter what you do if you are easy going you will have fun because you will find plenty of looneys some of which will fit your definition of fun. You don't even have to get drunk if you dont' feel like it. I have a text file with a "You've been living at Austin too long if..." type thing on it, once i finish this class i'll post it if you like, but most of the items are in-jokes you wouldn't get unless you've lived there at that time :)
i completely agree with that!! we just got our college magazine yesterday - anyone that doesn't go to albies or know the people would think we were crazy (on another note my mother is definately not reading it!! my fresher file was pretty interesting... considering they like to make up a heap of crap about you!)

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
ballerinabarbie said:
meanwhile i just got home from a night out - was opening night of 'pulse' nightclub (formerly mojo's) - waste of time (and $5)... newie was going off though
Are you serious???? $5 was worth it. It was twice as packed as mojo's ever was and they didn't play shitty RnB music at all. The place looked nice and there was 95% uni students there.

Closest to a nightclub Armidale has ever had.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
bboy_insane said:
Closest to a nightclub Armidale has ever had.
You have never been there when it was Sevens, it was pretty nghtclubby then, some Austin guys even had sets there with styles like jungle, house, trance, happy hard etc.

I even have my old Austin shirt with Sevens as a sponsor somewhere. Those were the days :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
well i didn't like it... and none of our mates got in (line was too big) - didn't like the music, i prefer the stuff they play at the newie if you want to have a dance, i couldn't dance to the stuff at pulse... and as far as i could tell that $5 didn't get me anything i couldn't get anywhere else in town... drinks were expensive too

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
You have never been there when it was Sevens, it was pretty nghtclubby then, some Austin guys even had sets there with styles like jungle, house, trance, happy hard etc.

I even have my old Austin shirt with Sevens as a sponsor somewhere. Those were the days :)
I wasnt there for sevens or steps but i was there for mojo's and it has an even more clubby feel to it. I think theyve brought in pro djs and only play dance. No RnB bullshit mixed by computers instead of turntables like the newie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)