Spare Tyres - Legal or Illegal? (1 Viewer)

Jiga

Hey... just wandering is it illegal to not carry a spare tyre? I say this because my tyres have wheel lock nuts that I didnt get the key from the previous owner, and Im prity sure the tyre size is also different from the spare... so the spare is prity much useless and just adding needless weight (Not trying to be a fully sik gangsta racer, but it weighs a good 30kg which isnt helping fuel efficiency etc!).

I think it is illegal, only because Ive always thought it was... and Im prity sure even with my current spare its illegal as it has to be a serviceable tyres (I havent reasearched this so no, I dont know the answer, just heard this stuff thrown around before).

Any help appreciated :wave:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i doubt it'd be illegal, but i also doubt that driving around without a spare would be highly recommended - i know that new tyres can be expensive, but you never know when you'll need it.

i dont know much about cars, but i'm guessing that you can probably pick up a key for your nuts from a garage or seller (eg. a car yard which sells your brand of car). and if not, they should be able to tell you where you can get one.

lengy

HSC
The rather new NC MX-5 doesn't come with spare or run flat tyres. It comes with a tyre patching kit. So no, it's not illegal, just more practical should an accident occur. Make sure you have the number of NRMA though.

Jiga

doubt it'd be illegal, but i also doubt that driving around without a spare would be highly recommended - i know that new tyres can be expensive, but you never know when you'll need it.

i dont know much about cars, but i'm guessing that you can probably pick up a key for your nuts from a garage or seller (eg. a car yard which sells your brand of car). and if not, they should be able to tell you where you can get one.
Well... my plan is to get tyre sealant or whatever its called... when you get a flat you attach this stuff and spray it in, lets you drive abit further. As for the locks, I think my friends might have a similar one... but I did search before and they were all just off in size... and yeah the tyres size is different so the new tyres will be to much for me...esp when I need new back tyres as well!!!

The rather new NC MX-5 doesn't come with spare or run flat tyres. It comes with a tyre patching kit. So no, it's not illegal, just more practical should an accident occur. Make sure you have the number of NRMA though.
Yeah there are others to, Audi RS4 Quattro has only tyre sealant as well... thats why Im tempted to just do it. Still have to research it abit, if the sealant only gets you 2kms its useless, 10kms and its worthwhile!

CieL

HSC
No, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal.

They only weight about 20kgs or so.. esp since yours is not the full size.. and it would be the same if you lost a bit of weight.

Nothing is illegal about carrying a non-full size spare. Just that they usually dont allow you to go more than 60km/hr or so, and even slower in the wet.. depending on the tyre.. I've seen an old civic running on a spare which resembled a bicycle tyre..

Of course lock nuts come in different sizes =.= It's like everyone else having the same keys to your house! My bf has a lock nut on one of his tyres so other people cant steal them.. well, at least steal all four..........

Ahh well, I've got a full size alloy spare in my trunk.. doesnt bug me =] I'd rather have it safely there so I can change my tyres and run like a charm.. instead of stopping, patching up, then running for another 2kms =]

I mean.. what if it blew up on the freeway ><

But hm.. I dont know much about tyre sealants, but if it recommends 2kms, I'm sure you could push it a bit further.. but you'd need to purchase another tyre in the end.. so what the heck

Jiga

^

Yeah Id prefer a spare tyre, but its not the right size... so its useless. As for the tyre sealant, I bought it... it says you gotta spray it in, drive 2-5km just to let set, then you can drive on... so Im assuming it must let you drive a decent distance afterwards! Only negative is it cant be used on sidewall damage, but that is really rare, might just have to get a patch up kit or something for that.

CieL

HSC
Assuming?!

Doesnt it say in the instructions?????

Scary.... kinda feels like driving on an empty tank - you dont know when it'll die on you..

Jiga

Lol it doesnt say how long, but from what its I get the impression it can take you are fair distance.

As for the running low on fuel analogy... it was like that before with a spare tyre I couldnt use, now its more like having 2L of extra fuel in the boot to get you that extra bit further, still abit worried but you have an option ;)

I have continentals as well (rated for 300km/h LMAO)... so Im not really worried about a random blowout, just a puncture. Slightly unrelated, when I bought these tyres on the trip home I hugged the kerb at one stage on a main road, so all the debri and crap was their, and something put a decent cut in them.. how crap is that? Forked out $150 a pop and they nearly got punctured!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)