• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sparta!! help! (1 Viewer)

~bumchum~

~shake it baybee!~
HSC
oka..theres sumthin abt tha specially chosen '300 knights' rite?..so lyk..how are they chosen...and what do they do?..do they just guard the king or wat? Of wat importance are they?..in terms of..dutiez..n stuf?..

oh oh!....ARGUMENTS...do u basicaly..say a topic..and jus present different view points of it?..is that it?..

thanx every1..mwaz!

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
read plutarch and quote him about the guard of knights

then question the accuracy of plutarch saying that he overemphasized that sparta was like an army training camp

they love it when you discuss the validity of a source and then make a conclusion that decides how relevant it is.... u get in to the top band almost automatically if you assess

matt_a

Originally posted by ssssonicyouth

they love it when you discuss the validity of a source and then make a conclusion that decides how relevant it is.... u get in to the top band almost automatically if you assess [/B]
Enter Extension History :)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
It was some form of privilege to be chosen i believe and they were constantly looking out to see how well one another was fullfilling his position.
I'm sure something about that was mention in Plutarch like ssssonicyouth said any mabye a reference in Xenophon

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
i just found out,
amongst all the divisions of the spartan military, 300 men were chosen by the king for his protection. they were called hippeis which is knights and had special position in the army. they were chosen annually from different age classes. it was a matter of pride and privelage for a spartan soilder to get ellected as one of the 300!
there are references abt these in thycydides V,72.4 and herodotus VIII, 124.3

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Don't get confused,

they were chosen because they have already served there purpose of reporduction of spartan boys/soldiers and it was kind of like sending the old in and save the young so they can to fullfill there purpose of reporduction. So pretty much the king chose his 300 men from those who have fullfilled their purpose because the young men were still valuable. These men were obviously the king body guards and included a few ephors, and they were knights or our equivelent anyways.

My only source is a associate proffesser that lectures at my dads uni.

regards Ralph

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)