Sparta- in need of sources- urgently! (1 Viewer)

N1C0L3

HSC
Hey,
at the moment i am doing an assignment on the topic "spartan society to the battle of leucrta 371BC" and i was assignened to research "The economy:-agriculture, trade and industry, Kleroi, role of helots."

In our essay we must refer to at least 3 ancient sources- i am soo stuck i cant find a thing! the sources must be written and archaeological. Ive searched google a billion times but there is so much junk i cant sort thru it all.
Does anyone have any useful websites that contain ancient sources on sparta??
thanks, i appreciate any help!

Trinket

HSC
You can't rely on the internet as much for HSC History. Use it as the basis for your preliminary research and background info, but that's the best you can really do, unless you find an e-book with the works of an ancient historian. I really didn't use the internet at all for HSC History, whether Ancient, Modern or Extension. You'll find most of your information in books or journal articles.

Hit the libraries and check your textbook for quotes from ancient writers. If you use Antiquity 2/3 (by Toni Hurley et al), the sources provided are a good starting point. You really only need excerpts - phrases, even - not great slabs of the stuff, so once you find something that supports your argument, slap it in.

I think Pamela Bradley's Using Evidence - Ancient Greece (or Ancient Greece - Using Evidence, I can't remember) has both archaeological evidence and excerpts from Herodotus, Xenophon, Aristotle... the list goes on. Good luck! :)

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
There's also a Heinemann version of the topic that has stuff on Spartan economy. The main sources you should refer to are Plutarch and Xenophon, and seeing its economy go with Aristotle too.

N1C0L3

HSC
hey thanks for all the replies every1, ive found quite alot of written sources already and coins from the 1st and 2nd century B.C like someone mentioned and some spartan drinking cup thing that shows tradesman at a market.
thx :)

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Lord Pheasant said:
This is just off the top of my head, so you'll have to look into this stuff, but for archaeological, they have found coins in Sparta, although they were minted elsewhere, they've found bronzework in southern france that was made in Sparta, and for pottery, look up the Arcesilas Cup. Just remember; for EVERYTHING in sparta, plutarch is your best friend.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Vix Crater fits into this as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Though this was discovered at Vix in France, it was almost certainly an export from Sparta, and demonstrates both the superb skill of the Spartan metalworkers in the sixth century, and the extent of the Spartan exchange network. [/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)