Sparta - this doesnt sound right (1 Viewer)

krissy7685

This was on the charles sturt whatever site

Death of a Spartan king
When a Spartan king died, horsemen travelled all over Lakonia, informing the inhabitants. In the city of Sparta itself, women went around beating a cauldron.

All residents of Sparta joined in the mourning, striking their foreheads as a sign of their grief.
LIKE WTF?

And are these real?
The Karneia
The Hyakinthia
The Gymnopaediae
The cult of Artemis Orthia

Partheniai, illegitimate children of Spartiati fathers and helot mothers.

Mothoces, sons of helots often "adopted" as playmates of Spartan boys. They shared in training.

Neodamodes, helots whose courageous service or act had earned them their freedom.

Tresantes, cowardly Spartiati who had been deprived of their citizenship (not necessarily permanently).

ive NEVER seen these terms before.. HELP

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
As far as I know, the stuff about the king's death was a direct quote from Herodotus, it was in a textbook we used, so I'd say that's pretty genuine.

The Karneia, the Hyakinthia and Gymnopaediae are all Spartan festivals, and the cult of Artemis Orthia I would assume relates to her shrine, so I'd say that's real too.

I can't be sure about the three helot ones, I've never seen them before so I don't know.

The cowardly Spartans exist, I don't know if they are called Tresantes but they could be. The Charles Sturt website is apparently pretty reliable but if you're unsure check with your teacher during Stuvac.

all of those terms are true

even the helot one....... but i wouldnt be too worrried..the way that the exam is set out...i doubt there is any room for a question even vaguely relating to those tiltles........i believe that it is more background information aobut the social classes in sparta and how they would outcast anyone who was not a spartiate....

however the religious festivals are of a great worry to me and i have an uncanny feeling that a question concerning it will be asked of us so if anyone could help me out withy any worthwile resources for the religious festivals it would be much appreciated :)

sillychikki

HSC
Yeah I'm in agreement with all the terms. They're actually pretty useful when talking about spartan society and you can link them into a lot of arguments. They help to show you know what you're talking about and remembering the terms for each inferior is not something that a lot of people bother remembering.

However, does anyone spell the helot playmate inferiors Mothakes or Mothones? I've never personally seen it written how it is above...

kimmy5

ALL of the terms are correct.
i've seen mothakes....
but then again there are so many versions of every name so i wouldn't worry. exam marker will get the gist.

adah

All of them are correct. The last four are the Spartan inferiors. You should have a basic knowledge of the festivals I have been told.

pistig

all that shits true i got 5/5 for the kings funerary rights in the CSSA and thats what i wrote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)