Sparta's Geography (1 Viewer)

jess.ford

HSC
So my Ancient Teacher gave us this question.... without any guide lines on how 2 answer it ...... wat r ur thoughts?????

Explain how the geography of the southern Peloponnese and Sparta's position within it created a sity-state very different from other Greek city-states of comparable importance.

Any help would b great :jump:

Villa94

HSC
I think it might be that Sparta was inland in a mountainous area that wasnt near any ports. Also because it was mountainous the land wasnt good for farming so alot of food wasnt grown which could have contributed to their strict/ "spartan" lifestyle.

Hope this helps and it isnt too late.

Last edited:

vyre

HSC
Geographical Setting:
· 4 villages of Sparta lie on the Eurotas River, which ran through their land.
· Amyclae (5th village) 5km south of main town
· Taygetus ranges isolate Sparta, along with other ranges
· Sparta developed on the fertile and well watered plains between Mt Taygetus and Mt Parnon
· Snow in Sparta rare
· Area of Laconia and Messene had fairly rich plains which were good for growing crops and raising horses
· Natural harbours on the coastline of Laconia and Messene (particularly at Gytheion, 42km south)
· Climate was warm, with light rainfall in July and August, yet adequate for good agriculture

-straight from my notes. Hope this helps.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
It was being double penetrated by Athens and Wog boy.

Dr_Quack

a;lsdkjf 'dajfdsjf'ds jaf
HSC
N/A
The irony lies in the post above vyre's:

I think it might be that Sparta was inland in a mountainous area that wasnt near any ports. Also because it was mountainous the land wasnt good for farming so alot of food wasnt grown which could have contributed to their strict/ "spartan" lifestyle.
Hope this helps and it isnt too late.
Though i guess she still helped others with like-minded questions. I hate it when people clog up the forums with questions all on the same topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)