Spartiate homoioi help? (1 Viewer)

suzy11

HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone could explain a little bit more about Spartan homoioi.
Also, does anyone know why it is incorrect to say that Spartan homoioi were 'equal' in all ways?
Any help as soon as possibly would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
x

NoName91

HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone could explain a little bit more about Spartan homoioi.
Also, does anyone know why it is incorrect to say that Spartan homoioi were 'equal' in all ways?
Thanks in advance.
x
These are the Spartan citizens who were over 30 and male (i.e. full citizens)

I believe, although their lands were equally subdivided, they had different amounts of influence. There was not one class of syssitia.. some were more popular than others, hence individuals in these had a different status to others

Hope that helps :)

LordPc

HSC
homoioi is meant to mean equals, but there are clearly divisions.

i remember that certain syssitia were more prestigious than others, and certain syssitia would only accept certain types of members. so there was some division among the equals, with some equals preferred over others.

so they werent "equal in all ways" as you have said. that was the idea, but it didnt work out like that

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
They aren't 'equals' as such as there are many instances of kings having larger estates than other spartiates. The Kings were also given double portions at the syssitia and were served first. This wasn't very equal-like either

christoffpow

HSC
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance.
x
Well.. yeah syssitia more prestigous. I might also include that towards 400BC, Aritistotle mentions the traditional notion of 'equal allotments' of kleroi divided among the spartiates began to tarnish.. and that some spartiates had much more kleros than others.. some even had private land.. which in turn meant some spartiates contributed to their syssition more efficiently than others.. Could also mention forms of government. Gerousia could overule the Eklessia/Apella, or the democratic element of Sparta. In that way.. Sparta was subject to more of an oligarchy than a democracy.. and thus some spartiates were much more powerful than others politically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)