Speaker (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
A new speaker of the house of representatives will be elected following the retirement of speaker Neil Andrew by the government on Monday. the appointment will be formalised at the first sitting of parliament on Tuesday. I have written a profile of each candidate.

1. Bronwyn Bishop: Arch conservative member of the Liberal party representing the seat of Mackellar of Sydney's northern beaches since 1994. Prior to that she was a senator for NSW from 1987, was the first female senator elected from NSW. A former minister for defence industry, science and personnel and also aged care up until the 2001 election when she was dumped from the ministry after a series of scandals in the aged care portfolio. She was also president of the NSW branch of the liberal party from 1985 to 1987 and is a former solicitor. Has been lobbying stronly for the position of speaker since Andrew announced his retirement and regulary raises points of order in question time. Has an excelent knowledge of parliamentary standing orders. Is expected to be a front runner for the job.

2. Bruce Baird: Small l liberal representing the seat of Cook in Sydney's southern suburbs around Cronulla since 1998 after winning a hotly contested pre-selection. Prior to that he was a member of the NSW parliament playing a leading role in the Greiner and Fahey governments. He held the roles of minister for transport (when Sydney's transport system actually worked), minister for tourism and roads and also minister for Sydney's olympics bid. He is responsible for the 2000 olympics bid being won by Sydney and its huge success. He is the chair of the amnesty international parliamentary group and prior to entering federal parliament was the chair of the national rail corportation. Has degrees from the university of Sydney and Melbourne and an honourary PhD from the University of Newcastle. Expected to be another frontrunner for the job.

3. David Jull: Parliamentary veteran, representing the seat of Fadden on the Gold Coast since 1984. Prior to that he was member for neighbouring Bowman from 1975-1983. He also served briefly as minister of administrative services in the first year of the Howard government. Fourth longest serving member of parliament behind Rudock, Howard and Cadman. Born in the conservative stronghold of Kingaroy in regional Queensland. Narrowly missed out on the speakers job in the last contest against Neil Andrew. Was a television executive prior to entering parliament. Could have an outside chance this time given his wide parliamentary experience, although Bishop and Baird are formidable opponents.

4. David Hawker: Relatively low profile MP representing the conservative rural stronghold of Wannon in western Victoria since he succeeded Malcolm Fraser in 1983. Holds an engineering degree from the University of Melboune as was a farmer prior to entering parliament. Could be a wildcard for the speakers job. Is likely to have the support of many prominent Victorian members such as Peter Costello, however support may be limited outside of his own state.

5. Wilson Tuckey: Parliamentary veteran representing the seat of O'Connor covering the Western Australian wheatbelt since 1980. Almost 70 years of age, Tuckey was dumped from his role as minister for regional services, territories and local government after being caught up in a scandal involving his son and ministerial letter-head. Prior to entering parliament he was a hotelier and a councillor. Unlikely to be a leading contender but may have reasonable support in Western Australia and he will have built up strong ties with many members in his 24 years as an MP.

Last edited:

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Brue Baird for me...

you must be bored ohne? No exams?
bruce baird for me too

i'm just taking a break from studying ;)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I thought he was mounting a leadership challenge in the Liberal party ;)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Anyone but Bishop or Tuckey...I don't know why they are even in the Party anymore.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Crikey's 'The Bruce Baird Files' article was interesting.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maybe she'll be so devastated she stands down

Maybe I'll get a new MP!!!!!!!!

or maybe not :(

Lorie

HSC
hmmmm, don't really care that much. As lomg as they are even handed and yell lots to make it half interesting (if that is possible). Maybe the best idea is to get an indepedent MP to be speaker, to take out the whole politics behind it, or maybe even a person outside parliament. It would just seem to be a bit better controlled that way.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
A speaker with a medicore career for a mediocre parliament.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Agreed. Ripped to shreds. :D I almost feel sorry for both him and the Veterans Affairs minister. They won't be lasting long at this rate.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Labor sure knows how to get the most out of their position...the gov. can just defeat anything they put forward in parliament, so Mark just chews up time....But this speaker is a joke. Could he have any less confidence/decisivness/qualification?

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
*bump*

Howard's hubris is begging for some pathos

A speaker that let's a minister talk about the opinions of a former opposition leader as though they represent current party policy without accepting the criticisms of the opposition... Well, at least he's better than Bronwyn bloody manners and civility Bishop.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I wainting for the new limited response...'typical lefty SMH'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)