special consideration - declined? wtf? (1 Viewer)

complex

HSC
i was sick during my exam period, i had two exams on a monday and i sat both then went to the doctor to get a note. i had a fever of 39.5 and acute tonsillitis or something. he put me on strong antibiotics and gave me from the 15th-18th special consideration with a specific usyd medical proffesional doctors note thingo

i applied for special consideration for psyc1001, phys1001, and math1901 and i have so far gotten a supplementary exam for phys1001 on the 30th

psyc emailed me and said my application was declined... i have been to MOST of my tutes. i handed in my essay 2 weeks late, reciving -20% which means i almost definatly failed it, this was because i did the wrong essay topic (big idiot..) even though i handed it in on the day to my tutor.. she told me to rewrite a new essay and so i did that, and handed it in 2 weeks later.

i went to the psyc department three times and each time they told me my tutor hadn't given the essay back to them (far out slack tutor wtf) the last time i went was DURING the exam period to hand my special consideration in (this is 3 weeks after uni lectures have ended..)

anyway. i applied for special consideration and they declined me.. what can i do? i think its pretty fucking bullshit if i dont get a supplementary exam based on not attending tutes or because i didn't pass the essay as they weren't going to fail me HAD I NOT BEEN SICK for the exam.

im planning on calling them today when it opens and im going to talk to them. if they still dont let me im going to talk to head of department, if that doesn't work im going to appeal it to the science faculty.

if that doesnt work, what can i do?

has this happened to anyone before?

spence

HSC
It was made pretty clear for psych that if you were sick, you shouldn't of done the exam

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It was made pretty clear for psych that if you were sick, you shouldn't of done the exam
So?

That doesn't change the university rules governing special consideration.

Speak to the SRC and appeal. Because you should get Spec Con if you were that sick.

spence

HSC
Ok, ignore my last post, even the psych admin guide says you should sit exams even allowing for illness, so you should be able to appeal

complex

HSC
i didnt sit the exam :\

i meant in the original post that on the moday i had sat my chemistry and linear algebra exams, which im not applying spec cons for.

HSC
N/A
jb_nc is right to say go to the src. they have case workers that deal with this stuff, so they'll be able to get you the best deal. personally, i'd hassle the department in person at the same time to make their life difficult.

but yeah, contact the src at once.

HSC
N/A
as a reference, last year i applied with acute tonsilitis, a rash and fever (same as you, basically) and received special consid for english (which is all i applied for).

Doomah

HSC
i didnt sit the exam :\

i meant in the original post that on the moday i had sat my chemistry and linear algebra exams, which im not applying spec cons for.

so why were to ok to sit chem and algebra?

if i was an administrator i would be able to see that u sat chem and algebra, and u got ok marks for those. so one would ask why didnt u go and sit the psych exam, was it because you have abismal marks pre-final exam and u knew u didnt do enough work and wanted more time to study for it?

special consideration is given to people who do well all year, its too bad that any tom, dick can get a medical certificate these days and exploit the system, so really medical certificates aint worth shit.

when i applied for SC, i went to the lecturer on the morning of the exam and told him, look i am here i can sit the exam, but i have been sick all week and havent studied at all. he asked me what mark i got for my mid-semester, i told him 24/25 ... he told me "no worries just get a MC and fill out the forms" .... i ended up getting a HD for the subject....

i know some people around here who would only sit around 50% of their exams on the given day... they always come up with some fuken excuse, coz they got family friends who are doctors and can write them anything, shits me to death

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

if i was an administrator i would be able to see that u sat chem and algebra, and u got ok marks for those. so one would ask why didnt u go and sit the psych exam, was it because you have abismal marks pre-final exam and u knew u didnt do enough work and wanted more time to study for it?

special consideration is given to people who do well all year, its too bad that any tom, dick can get a medical certificate these days and exploit the system, so really medical certificates aint worth shit.

when i applied for SC, i went to the lecturer on the morning of the exam and told him, look i am here i can sit the exam, but i have been sick all week and havent studied at all. he asked me what mark i got for my mid-semester, i told him 24/25 ... he told me "no worries just get a MC and fill out the forms" .... i ended up getting a HD for the subject....

i know some people around here who would only sit around 50% of their exams on the given day... they always come up with some fuken excuse, coz they got family friends who are doctors and can write them anything, shits me to death
What a crock.

I applied for special consideration for chem after I sat it on the Tuesday. Sat Stats on Wednesday and didn't apply for special consideration because I didn't feel as shit.

It's perfectly acceptable to believe that someone was sick on one day and not another. That's generally how sickness works.

Doomah

HSC
fact is his poor form pre-final exam didnt help him for his application

HSC
N/A

ur an idiot
ok guy?

HSC
N/A
im an english scholar, with education ranging from postmodernism to medieval poetry

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
I applied for special consideration when I accidently missed the Political Economy exam and realised in the night time when I was at work and got a text msg saying "how did the ecop test go?". I just basically emailed them this story and got to sit another exam with no penalty and got a Credit for the subject lol!
No doctors certificate brah.

Doomah

HSC
I applied for special consideration when I accidently missed the Political Economy exam and realised in the night time when I was at work and got a text msg saying "how did the ecop test go?". I just basically emailed them this story and got to sit another exam with no penalty and got a Credit for the subject lol!
No doctors certificate brah.

u mean u used the story by the OP? lol:haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)