Special Education (1 Viewer)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Here is my rant.

Day 1, Lecture 1.

Special Education lecturer raving on about the correct way to speak about people with disabilities.

Methinks: ok, fine

Day 4, Lecture 2.
Lecturer still raving on about this,

Methinks: perhaps, it is because I have worked in special education for 2.5 years that this sounds boring, other people need to know it, fine

Day 5, Lecture 3.

The dickhead is STILL going on about it. On consultation with peers I discover that it's not just me who thinks he is preaching about it now.

Really, do you think we would have come this far in Education degrees, and not realised the "incorrect" way to speak about people with disabilities? Do we really look that naive and stupid??

Has anyone else completed the Special Ed. component of their degree yet? Please tell me I am not alone in thinking they are preachy!

PLEASE!!!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It does sound pretty silly maybe he is covering the legislation but doing it in a fashion that he perhaps finds more succesful in getting the point across?

Have you flipped through the textbook and lecture slides? Sure it's not a sensitivity training class?

rific

HSC
Haha, sorry, but I've been there, done that. Was a fan before it started. Wasn't a fan after.

Who's your tutor?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Haha, we get it drilled into us, too..

Not "the blind man" but rather "the man who is blind". Don't address a patient by their affliction, but rather as a person first.

:rolleyes:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
rific said:
Haha, sorry, but I've been there, done that. Was a fan before it started. Wasn't a fan after.

Who's your tutor?
I have Amanda Gray.... aka Little Miss Monotone

I am a fan of Special Ed. I think it's awesome, that's what I wanna do when I graduate...

This guy is just a tosser

rific

HSC
The lecturers will change around a bit, well, they will if they're all still employed and do what they did when I did it. Some are fine. Others are not.

My sympathies with Amanda.

I was initially contemplating applying for the spec ed course. Changed my mind after this course. It's still interesting to me, and I enjoyed the challenges of teaching in spec ed andintegrated classrooms during my pracs, but all the same, decided to stand clear of it at uni.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
rific said:
The lecturers will change around a bit, well, they will if they're all still employed and do what they did when I did it. Some are fine. Others are not.

do the lectures get any more worthwhile? im not planning on going cos its such a waste of time, i have a 3 hour gap while im waiting for those lectures

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Stacie, were you in the Primary Science tut from 1-2pm last Thursday by mistake? Instead of the Early Childhood one??

I think I know who you are...

rific

HSC
No, I didn't find the lectures that I attended improved significantly. Saying that, I didn't buy the text for that course either. So long as you get to most of the tutes and do a decent enough job in your assignments, you'll be fine for spec ed. The lectures didn't seem to provide much useful info.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
But the thing is, I'm sure they could be really entertaining if he just tried a little bit... I mean this is something that really interests me! And I'm doing my best to stay awake, but its just not happening! gggrrrr!!

rific

HSC
Yep, the presented information could be very interesting, they just choose to not make it so for some reason. In hindsight, it was a good course to do, but all in all, it could have been presented much much better.

rific

HSC
Ha, sorry, it's only week two and I'm already the worn out 4th year guy. Damn assignments. If you stick to it and take it to the 4th year strand, I've been reliably informed that it is really interesting and worthwhile.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
hmmmmmm, thanks for the tip..

hey good luck with internship, do you know where you are going yet?

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Stacie, were you in the Primary Science tut from 1-2pm last Thursday by mistake? Instead of the Early Childhood one??

I think I know who you are...

yes, yes i was lol. I didnt know that the tutes changed, I just rocked up and your teacher said I could just stay cos it was a really similar tute. Its annoying me now cos i dont know who you are!

I looked through the text book on the train and I have a feeling special education is going to be incredibly boring all the way through/ I was actually really looking forward to it as well

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
oh thats evill, i'm annoyed times 100 because once I saw your back, logged into bos, and I paid no attention to who you were whatsoever, just 'hey, that person is on bos'

rific

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
hmmmmmm, thanks for the tip..

hey good luck with internship, do you know where you are going yet?
Not sure yet, a couple of schools look promising, but we can't choose them until the start of April.

gem_max

HSC
At SCU we can do Spec Ed externally... which is what I did last semester. Got a D yay!

Is it possible for you guys to go external? It makes it much more pressure free... we had a tonne of readings and I could just curl up in bed with my lappity top and the big ass folder and study away.

Also meant only 1 week of the 'person first' subject.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
it probably is possible to do things externally..

its getting better tho.. we're over all the legal crap and now looking at implcations for teacher.... most exciting :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)