Special provision shitfight (1 Viewer)

aaarrgh

HSC
I have to vent my feeling about the whole special provision system, and avoid study some more.

Before I begin, this doesn't apply to every special provision student, just most!

At my school at least, there has been a rush to get special provisions: Extra time for people who "DO NOT PERFORM WELL UNDER PRESSURE" scribes for people who can't spell, computers for those who can't write. Aren't these just elements of the HSC? Isn't spelling and grammar examinable in English? Why should some students be exempt from these aspects of exams because they aren't good at them?

How does special provision make for a fairer HSC?? The HSC is about accurately GRADING people based on their performance. If someone is less intelligent than another, then they should rightfully get a lower mark! Yet at the moment, special provisions are given to anyone that applies for them! A fundamental part of the HSC is an equal playing field for all, but this is not held true when some people are gaining a LEGITIMATE, unfair advantage.

Some of the top student's at my school have special provisions for various, ludicrous reasons, including "poor" handwriting. A SCHOLAR at my school has extra time because of some anxiety issue at least 90% of exam sitters suffer from.

Like I said this doesn't apply to all special provision cases. There are situations where a student is unable to demonstrate their intellect because of a disability or something. But where does creating an equal playing field for students cross the line into giving certain students an unfair advantage?

HSC
N/A
aaarrgh said:
A SCHOLAR at my school has extra time because of some anxiety issue at least 90% of exam sitters suffer from.
Umm, might I just add - there is a very very big difference between feeling anxious in an exam, and actually having anxiety disorder.

You cannot compare typical HSC nerves experienced by most HSC students, to that experienced by someone that suffers from Anxiety or Panic disorder.

I am so SICK of people saying "Ooo I had a panic attack" when they don't even know what exactly a panic attack involves.

It's not just a little two minute freak out.... they seem to think that if you get really nervous and feel panicky for a minute, they've had a panic attack.

A Panic Attack, which is the main symptom of Panic Disorder (a branch off the Anxiety Disorder tree) involves at least 4 of the following symptoms-

-racing heartbeat
-difficulty breathing, feeling as though you 'can't get enough air'
-terror that is almost paralyzing
-dizziness, lightheadedness or nausea
-trembling, sweating, shaking
-choking, chest pains
-a need to escape
-hot flashes, or sudden chills
-tingling in fingers or toes ('pins and needles')
-fear that you're going to go crazy or are about to die

The 'attack' usually comes out of no where, and builds up until it peaks at about 10 minutes, and then takes a further 10-15minutes to gradually wear away - leaving behind a feeling of helplessness.

Now, can you honestly tell me that's an anxiety issue at least 90% of exam sitters suffer from. ?

I think not.

Give special provisions kids a break. They're just trying to do their best. And sure, there's maybe a few kids that work the system a bit, but the Board of Studies don't just throw Special Provisions out left, right and centre.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i agree with etc. etc. etc. - there is a HUGE difference between anxious/nervous/worry before an exam and an actual panic/anxiety attack. have you ever seen someone have a panic attack? i assume not. because you'd know the difference.

these people have provisions for a reason, there are people with serious problems which stop them from being able to sit in a normal exam room.

blegh anyway.. what etc. said.

aaarrgh

HSC
aaarrgh said:
Before I begin, this doesn't apply to every special provision student...
Like I said this doesn't apply to all special provision cases...
Yeah, I totally agree with you. There is a need for special provisions in the HSC. Some students genuinely deserve them and need them for the HSC to be equal.

I suppose I am specifically referring to my school, since I don't really know what goes on in other schools.

In my school there are only a few people who really deserve special provisions, yet close to a quarter of the year have them. By far the most common provision granted is the use of a computer or a scribe due to bad handwriting. People feel that they would perform better with a computer, and so they apply. Every single student who applied was granted some kind of provision. It’s close to becoming a choice, whether you type or write - this is not a fair system that offers equal opportunities to students.

There needs to be more policing of the system, to ensure that only people who NEED provisions get them, not people that want them.

etc. etc. etc. said:
Now, can you honestly tell me that's an anxiety issue at least 90% of exam sitters suffer from?
Knowing this person, I believe that what they suffer from is very common and nothing serious at all. This person has a record of never doing assessments yet achieving very high estimates. If they do actually sit the final exams, it would be one of the first exams they do sit, and even with their provisions, I'm sure they would not live up to the estimates received during the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)