• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Special Relativity question (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Alright. I always get confused which values to use as l0, t0, and m0...and which values to use as lv, tv, and mv.

lv, tv, and mv, is the MOVING ONE right?

But then if there is a question asking from the MOVING e.g ROCKET SHIP perspective, Does that mean the rocket sees the Earth moving so the earth values are lv, tv, and mv? And then the ROCKET SHIP values are l0, t0, and m0?

spatula232

HSC
It depends on the frame of reference. Say if I see a space ship travelling at relativistic speeds, I would see their time to be dilated, tv. However, for those on the space ship themselves, they would see their time to be running correctly, to.

On the other hand, the observers on the space ship would see time running slowly on Earth, whilst theirs is running correctly.

Essentially, it depends on the frame of reference. An observer will always see their frame as the initial (rest) value, whether that is time, mass or length (therefore to, mo, lo), whilst an observer will view another reference frame as dilated/contracted etc (mt, mv, lv).

Jacaranda Text (pg. 82):
"Lo = length of train train as perceived by train traveller
to = time taken as perceived by train traveller."

Drsoccerball

HSC
Let me make it easier for you to remember the ones with 0 next to it is that stationary one from the persons perspective always.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I never actually remember which is which; imo it's better to just figure it out when you're actually solving a question. If you remember that (as c is approached) length contracts, 'a moving clock appears to run slow', and that mass increases, you should be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)