Specifically what Mathematics knowledge is required for Computer Science? (1 Viewer)

alec_taylor

HSC
Top of the morning to you!

From memory, I received a Band 4 for Year 10 Mathematics.

The following year I completed Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking) at TAFE NSW.

The year following that was spent working within the IT Industry.

During this time I have accumulated many Industry Certifications including MCPs, CompTIA certifications, CCENT & CCNA.

I have applied to UNSW, UTS, UWS & Macquarie (in that order) to start Semester 1 this year.

Specifically what extra Mathematics knowledge is required for the Computer Science undergraduate degree?

(once I know the exact concepts & topics I'm required to understand, I'll hire a Maths Tutor to teach me. Also I'd like textbooks/ebooks/online-guides to be suggested to me, if possible)

Please help me out here, as I'd really like to succeed within my tertiary endeavours.

Thank you so much

Alec Taylor

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Top of the morning to you!

From memory, I received a Band 4 for Year 10 Mathematics.

The following year I completed Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking) at TAFE NSW.

The year following that was spent working within the IT Industry.

During this time I have accumulated many Industry Certifications including MCPs, CompTIA certifications, CCENT & CCNA.

I have applied to UNSW, UTS, UWS & Macquarie (in that order) to start Semester 1 this year.

Specifically what extra Mathematics knowledge is required for the Computer Science undergraduate degree?

(once I know the exact concepts & topics I'm required to understand, I'll hire a Maths Tutor to teach me. Also I'd like textbooks/ebooks/online-guides to be suggested to me, if possible)

Please help me out here, as I'd really like to succeed within my tertiary endeavours.

Thank you so much

Alec Taylor
You mean the stuff that they assume when you begin the program (not the stuff you do in first year)?, see Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) - Entry 2006 Onwards

That program requires these Maths courses,

Higher Mathematics 1A or Mathematics 1A,
Higher Mathematics 1B or Mathematics 1B,
Discrete Mathematics

But they are part of the degree. But in order to do the first one (MATH1131) there is some assumed knowledge,

"Assumed knowledge for Mathematics (MATH1131): students will be expected to have achieved the equivalent of a combined mark of at least 100 in HSC Mathematics and HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Failure to meet this required knowledge means that General Mathematics (MATH1011) will have to be taken first."

The course MATH1011, has "Assumed knowledge: A level of knowledge equivalent to achieving a mark of at least 60 in HSC Mathematics. Students who have taken General Mathematics will not have achieved the level of knowledge which is assumed in this course."

If you did not study year 11 or 12 Mathematics, I don't know. Maybe someone else will have a better answer than me.

alec_taylor

HSC
Thanks for all your replies.

Here is a concatenation of the suggestions merged within one post;

• Very good Mathematics skills (more so than programming as anyone can do that). And, no, not high school Maths but University Math. You want linear algebra, calculus, vector Math and any applied Mathematics subject you can get your hands on.

• You need a strong grasp of discrete Mathematics. Topics like formal logic, number theory, graph theory, induction, recursion, sequences/series and statistics (usually to an intermediate level).
You need to be quite mature in your understanding as you will be expected to read, understand and do proofs.

• If you want to do the minimum preparation required, pick up the year 11 and 12 textbooks and just focus on algebra and calculus. Things like probability, statistics, most geometry, business Math and so on can be ignored.

• In QLD i believe you need Math b? This is equiv to a the level of Math which included stats, algebra, logs and calculus.

• Basically whatever prerequisites are required for the standard "Mathematics 1" or "Calculus 1" course at a proper university is what you need to make sure you know and have covered. If prerequisites aren't the issue just make sure you are strong in algebra and other areas commonly called "precalculus", then you should have a firm foundation to build on. Most students probably are also expected to know basic calculus before they start university.

Other Maths topics you should look into are: theory of computation (technically a branch of computer science, but strongly linked with areas of Mathematics), linear algebra, operations research.

Books recommended;
Amazon.com: Discrete Mathematics With Applications (9780534944469): Susanna S. Epp: Books
Amazon.com: Discrete Mathematics with Applications (9780534359454): Susanna S. Epp: Books
Amazon.com: Basic Technical Mathematics with Calculus (8th Edition) (9780321131942): Allyn J. Washington: Books

Please tell me if you agree with it, and what else I need to learn/read.

Many Thanks,

Alec Taylor

alec_taylor

HSC
Thanks for all your replies.

Here is a concatenation of the suggestions merged within one post;

• Very good Mathematics skills (more so than programming as anyone can do that). And, no, not high school Maths but University Math. You want linear algebra, calculus, vector Math and any applied Mathematics subject you can get your hands on.

• You need a strong grasp of discrete Mathematics. Topics like formal logic, number theory, graph theory, induction, recursion, sequences/series and statistics (usually to an intermediate level).
You need to be quite mature in your understanding as you will be expected to read, understand and do proofs.

• If you want to do the minimum preparation required, pick up the year 11 and 12 textbooks and just focus on algebra and calculus. Things like probability, statistics, most geometry, business Math and so on can be ignored.

• In QLD i believe you need Math b? This is equiv to a the level of Math which included stats, algebra, logs and calculus.

• Basically whatever prerequisites are required for the standard "Mathematics 1" or "Calculus 1" course at a proper university is what you need to make sure you know and have covered. If prerequisites aren't the issue just make sure you are strong in algebra and other areas commonly called "precalculus", then you should have a firm foundation to build on. Most students probably are also expected to know basic calculus before they start university.

Other Maths topics you should look into are: theory of computation (technically a branch of computer science, but strongly linked with areas of Mathematics), linear algebra, operations research.

Books recommended;
Amazon.com: Discrete Mathematics With Applications (9780534944469): Susanna S. Epp: Books
Amazon.com: Discrete Mathematics with Applications (9780534359454): Susanna S. Epp: Books
Amazon.com: Basic Technical Mathematics with Calculus (8th Edition) (9780321131942): Allyn J. Washington: Books

Please tell me if you agree with it, and what else I need to learn/read.

Many Thanks,

Alec Taylor

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You may want to consider spending an extra semester (or two) at uni catching up on all the high school maths that you have missed out on. I know that UNSW has courses that let you do this (MSP, followed by MATH1011, then the usual first year maths courses). I don't know about the other unis, but they probably do, too.

I don't think it is realistic to expect to catch up on all the maths from year 10 right up to MX1 in some summer bridging course. The bridging courses are only designed to get people from 2U maths to a 3U level.

alec_taylor

HSC
You may want to consider spending an extra semester (or two) at uni catching up on all the high school maths that you have missed out on. I know that UNSW has courses that let you do this (MSP, followed by MATH1011, then the usual first year maths courses). I don't know about the other unis, but they probably do, too.

I don't think it is realistic to expect to catch up on all the maths from year 10 right up to MX1 in some summer bridging course. The bridging courses are only designed to get people from 2U maths to a 3U level.
Thanks for the advice.

I got into Macquarie University :jump:

and have applied to a bridging course there (10 days x 3 hours per day)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
It really does depend on the university in terms of maths focus once you get in. I noticed UNSW had a lot, so I stayed away from it. I was mainly looking at UTS and UOW. I ended up at UTS 'cos of my ATAR. I know that at UTS there are no completely maths based subjects and I know at UOW there are. UNSW does seem very theory based, and hence maths-based but I'm not sure if that's just hearsay.

alec, what course at Mac? They've got a few.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I haven't read most of the posts in here other than the OP so sorry if im repeating, but speaking from a UNSW perspective from someone that just graduated from a computer science/maths degree:

- The only 'MATH' courses you have to take 1A, 1B and Discrete, all first year courses. You can take 1A and 1B as normal or higher, i'd recommend sticking to normal if math isnt your strong point since what you learn in higher isnt all that important for comp sci. You will likely struggle unless you catch up to at least a 2 unit HSC standard, not saying you wont pass but you probably wont do amazingly either (there are exceptions of course)
- Discrete maths is a lot more important imo. Doesnt have any prior knowledge required but reading ahead before you start your course will help if you dont have a strong background. You will encounter it again, numerous times in future courses. If youre struggling on it chances are you'll struggle later on when it pops up.
- There will be some courses that will be heavily math based in comp sci, especially senior years. Fortunately they're not compulsory so you can avoid them, they're usually the ones with 'Theory' in their name. You may also struggle with some relational algebra that pops up in databases, although its not that much.
- In the end it largely depends on what you want to do. Comp sci at UNSW can be quite technical sometimes, and generally those better at math etc tend to do better at comp sci, they kind of go hand and hand in terms of thought process etc. But the degree is actually quite flexible so its kind of hard to say what type of maths you personally would encounter. The courses you take in your last year are almost entirely of your choosing except for one (which isnt that math based). If you took the courses I chose you would definitely struggle without some strength in math.

alec_taylor

HSC
It really does depend on the university in terms of maths focus once you get in. I noticed UNSW had a lot, so I stayed away from it. I was mainly looking at UTS and UOW. I ended up at UTS 'cos of my ATAR. I know that at UTS there are no completely maths based subjects and I know at UOW there are. UNSW does seem very theory based, and hence maths-based but I'm not sure if that's just hearsay.

alec, what course at Mac? They've got a few.
Bachelor of Information Technology :skip:
I haven't read most of the posts in here other than the OP so sorry if im repeating, but speaking from a UNSW perspective from someone that just graduated from a computer science/maths degree:

- The only 'MATH' courses you have to take 1A, 1B and Discrete, all first year courses. You can take 1A and 1B as normal or higher, I'd recommend sticking to normal if math isnt your strong point since what you learn in higher isn't all that important for comp sci. You will likely struggle unless you catch up to at least a 2 unit HSC standard, not saying you wont pass but you probably wont do amazingly either (there are exceptions of course)
- Discrete maths is a lot more important imo. Doesn't have any prior knowledge required but reading ahead before you start your course will help if you dont have a strong background. You will encounter it again, numerous times in future courses. If youre struggling on it chances are you'll struggle later on when it pops up.
- There will be some courses that will be heavily math based in comp sci, especially senior years. Fortunately they're not compulsory so you can avoid them, they're usually the ones with 'Theory' in their name. You may also struggle with some relational algebra that pops up in databases, although its not that much.
- In the end it largely depends on what you want to do. Comp sci at UNSW can be quite technical sometimes, and generally those better at math etc tend to do better at comp sci, they kind of go hand and hand in terms of thought process etc. But the degree is actually quite flexible so its kind of hard to say what type of maths you personally would encounter. The courses you take in your last year are almost entirely of your choosing except for one (which isn't that math based). If you took the courses I chose you would definitely struggle without some strength in math.
Discrete Mathematics I is compulsory, Discrete Mathematics II is associated with the 2nd of Year the Software Technology Major.

More info: Bachelor of Information Technology - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
BIT - Bachelor of Information Technology - Faculty of Science - Macquarie University

Haven't yet decided which Major I'll be doing though. I am quite interested in Theory though, seeing as a lot of theory was missing at TAFE.

Anyways, this bridging course has now begun, and is quite intense, so I'll be signing off for the moment (gives me time to type up my notes!)

Thanks for your informative reply.

Alec Taylor

sungkwo

HSC
N/A
Hi, i was just looking at this post, and im quite interested about the IT courses available in MQ uni.

Whats the difference between Information System and Software Development?

And also, i saw theres a Bachelor of Science major in Information System/ Software Development,
is it the same with Bachelor of Information Techonology?

Thanks.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hi, i was just looking at this post, and im quite interested about the IT courses available in MQ uni.

Whats the difference between Information System and Software Development?

And also, i saw theres a Bachelor of Science major in Information System/ Software Development,
is it the same with Bachelor of Information Techonology?

Thanks.
It varies depending on unis but the differences: Obviously software development will have a big focus on exactly that, ie software development. That means not only programming but the entire software development cycle and project management.

Information systems on the other hand probably has a bit of a broader focus on information and business needs and works on managing and working with information; looking at the way its used, stored, processed etc. A way to think of it is its like the discipline that connects business with IT. Its probably less technically oriented than development and you will likely have to do some business studies along with computing study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)