we need to know) the questions will be this year? I' m

thinking Ottawa Charter or Jakarta declaration

implementation into one of the

priority areas, seeing as they didn't ask it last year and its one

of the big points

p.s. don't know about any one else but i'm shitting myself for

this exam.

:insight

Yeah for sure, its a toughy... unless you're totally committed there's no way you can learn the whole course so I'm afraid that the gaps i've left will turn into big gaping holes! Anyway dude the best thing you can do is reread your notes, or if you havent done any get them off this site... and if you're inclined answer a few practice questions (check my other thread).

CORE 1
You can bet your mum that ottawa or jakarta will be present in some form or another so study up on them (possibly will be a 10 mark question, or at least a 6)
- epidemiology
- know broadly the groups experiencing health inequities (eg aboriginal, rural) and the priority health areas for action (eg CVD, cancer)... and know one of each REALLY well (eg extent of prob, nature) incase you get free choice in a question that asks you to analyse one.
- i hear that ASTHMA is NOT a priority area, they will not test you!! learn it if you dont trust me but thats what i heard/read somewhere.
- the shift of blaming the individual for bad health into the new public health approach which is looking at the social determinants. ie: its not the persons fault they're a fat piggy - its their poor socio-cultural position. :apig:
- health promo iniatives (sort of comes under ottawa)
- know a bit about medicare, what services they give and alternative health care options/services... i personally hate this bit and know minimal amounts... these are the most boring parts of pd IMO
thats about it for CORE 1.. i might've left some out but whats there is the most important parts and probly only what there's time left to learn. theres waaaay more in the core than i've summarised it to look like which you probably already know.. but if you construct the skeleton first, the meat is easier to put on aiiii :cool:

CORE 2
- energy systems
- principles of training (know these well, there's gonna be a big Q on it for SURE. It will most likely ask you to link it in with a specific TYPE of training eg: strength, flexibility or aerobic. most likely NOT flexibility, the others require greater knowledge :mad1: so for example how progressive overload is a part of training for increased strength... obviously u keep upping the training load so the body continues to adapt to higher levels of fitness. also a part of this whichmight be in a different question who knows.. is immediate responses to training like heart rate, ventillation rate, stroke vol etc... and the LONG TERM changes (which are basically an extention of the immediate ones + a few new ones like blood pressure and lung capacity) which you will NEED to talk about if the question asks anything about the creation or analysing of a training program. im betting there will be a question like that for sure so remember: the principles of training, how they relate to training for a specific type (strength, aerobic) and what changes occur in short term and more importantly LONG TERM. big one i know :eek:
- try to remeber a few of the syllabus words for the section on psychology... like trait/state anxiety, all the ways to manage anxiety and types of motivation. concentrate ONLY on remembering these terms and what they mean, your general knowledge will fill in the gaps for you. like when you know you've done a good job = intrinsic (internal source of motivation - doesnt come from somewhere else)... general knowledge has a habit of filling in the cracks for you... but it aint a real sturdy grout...
- nutrition/hydration - is it adequete for performance needs? do extras like vitamins and supplements need to be used... also talk about carbo loading before and after events (especially endurance).... carbo used 1st, fats 2nd, proteins 3rd.
- skill aquisition - arrggg this bit is huuuge with sooo many of those anoying terminology shithead words. theres a lot here and any of it could be assessed in combination with other parts... you'll have to go to the syllabus for this one im afraid.. i just hope for your sake you didnt drift off in class when this was being taught coz that general knowledge is essential... it all interconnects.

Goods LUCK.. anyone not doing pe who is just looking at this for something to do (dont know why>?!) you now see how BLOODY MUCH there is in the course! this summary was supposed to take me 10 minutes, ive been here for half an hour! and i havent even done the options which is another half of the bloody exam! STREUTH!!

If you have any questions at all you want to ask dont be afraid if they're stupid... i'll answer em. ask me even if you cant be bothered to go look up the answer for yourself.. i dont mind it gives me good practice and typing on the computer is more interesting than writing.. i have no idea why? maybe it gives me the simulation that i am on an electronic devise which somehow links into it being fun?? like agame of something... who knows anyway ask away, i'll be on tonight and tomorrow probably.

Jan Kott

I need a bit of help on the "personal versus prescribed

judging criteria" at the end of Core 2. have any idea

what they're on about?

P.S Shit you write a lot! it's helped me though, cheers mate :)

P.P.S I picked up one itty bitty technical error in the last post.

Carbohydrates are only used as a primary source of energy

at medium to high levels of intensity. Before that, fats are used

- thats why people should walk/jog to lose weight.

Christie

Thanks for that :insight, thats really helpful information.

What options do u do? Do u do Sports medicine or improving performance? Cos i was wondering if u did do them, what u reckon the main questions are likely to be asked?

Might as well go over a bit of that skill aquisition stuff seeing as though i need to refresh it myself anyway. i'll list it pretty much as notes just written in answer form to get you (and me!) ready for the exam style...
note everything here is only my way of doing things... your teacher or yourself may have a very different approach to answering questions.. so if this doesnt work for you - at least you'll have learnt what NOT to do in the exam :p

Q. What are the characteristics of the learning process?

A. The process is split into 4 sections. firstly perceiving is when the learner develops an idea of what must be done. the learner then decides by processing the perceived information before acting which involves attemping the skill. afterwards the learner receives feedback (here you should list a bit about the types of 'feedback') and information from the coach.

- something like the above will most likely be a 4 mark question. next, here's a toughy which will most likely be a 6'er or 10'er. when you're dealing with more than one section of the syllabus at once thats when it starts getting tricky :confused:
- its a good idea to underline your key terms in your paper too. anything that makes it easier for the markers to give you marks :)

Q. Evaluate how the stages of skill aquisition can be affected by the characteristics of the learner.

A. The means by which a learner acquires a skill are notibly affected by their personal characteristics. The stages of skill aquisition are
Cognitive: the understanding stage. gains will be slow and lots of errors are common. much feedback should be given in this stage by a coach to advise of wrong form and to correct mistakes.
Associative: the practice stage. by this time the learner will gain a degree of independance and be able to understand the skill as the success rate increases.
Autonomous: the skill is able to be performed automatically and successfully without a large degree of effort. the learner feedback is now mainly internal and can consistently conduct the skill with kinaesthetic sense.

The characteristics of the learner include such things as:
gender: higher testosterone levels in males.... females have lighter bodies... different fat displacement
personality: includes such traits as motivation and consistency
confidence: one may achieve the skill at a faster rate through a belief in success
ability: such as natural sense or early grasp of concepts
prior experience: having done a similar skill earlier, the learner will be able to associate parts of the previous skill to a new one.
hereditary factors: are factors the learner has no control over, such as fast (good for anaerobic) and slow twitch (good for endurance) muscle fibres. heredity also impacts on body shapes:
endomorph: small, stocky build
ectomorph: tall, thin build
mesomorph: muscular build
mightymorphin: power ranger :rolleyes: :D

The characteristics of the learner impact noticably on the stages of acquiring a new skill. A female of endomorph build with low leg muscular power attempting to high jump over a bar will need to train harder and longer, and even then may not be able to do it as easily as an ectomorph shaped female, who is naturally dispositioned to jump higher.

Other traits of personality such as confidence, motivation and natural sense will influence the desire to learn a skill and also to persist in conquering the skill if at first it is not acquired easily.

- BUGGER being able to remember all that in an exam hey! but do your best... thats where acronyms come in handy... something i need to get onto methinks... :eek:
-with a question such as this it is best to define both pools of thought first - then compare them once you've got all the info down on the page.
- i find a mix of extended response and point listing is the best way to answer pd/h/pe PERSONALLY - do whatever workz for u
- in the comparing paragraph always use as many EXAMPLES as you can possibly think of. i've said it before - i'll say it again - the markers LOVE seeing that you have an personal understanding of the course, that you're not just a robot memory listing machine (although unfairly this is still a large part of your answer :mad: i hate memory recalling) i havent made as many comparisons between them as perhaps i could but thats where the fabled ability of 'spinning shit' comes in handy. learn the basics and rely on your natural instinct of shit to pull you thru

i might work through the rest of the skill aq later unless any of you want anything else in particular...

Judging the quality of a performance (appraisal)

The characteristics of skilled performance include skills such as movement, composition, creativity in gymnastics for example, or strategy, playing technique, awareness in rugby league. The outcomes of skilled performance include such things as praise from those appraising you such as your coach or teammates, self-confidence and motivation to succeed again and to reach higher levels of competition (eg: state, national representation) as well as financial or status gain through sponsorship and fame, possibly leading to outcomes off the sporting field.

What you really wanted to know was the prescribed v personal though wasnt it. Just remember that personal or subjective opinion is based on YOUR OWN interpretation of the events and prescribed criteria is for example like a time in a 100m sprint... these are not judged on opinion, merely if the athlete has succeeding in fulfilling the requirements. This is also known as objective opinion as the judge has no individual say on the performance. Here's an answer example that will hopefully make sense.

Q. Discuss the benefits, dissadvantages and relationship between personal skill measurement (subjective!) and a prescribed judging criteria (objective!). (4 marks - ie: not a really indepth question - there's probably not enough info here to make it a big Q)

A. Subjective skill measurement is when the quality of the performance is based on the opinion of a judge or similar person of appraisal. For example, gymnastic or diving judges all mark the performance with a degree of personal opinion. Prescribed, objective criteria is when the opinion of the performance is not influenced by a judge, and the result is only determined by the competitor's results. For example in long jump, whoever has the longest jump wins the competition regardless of how gracefully the athlete performed the jump.

Each measurment of skill to judge the quality of a performance has its own advantages and disadvantages, and each is more suited to some sports than others. Sports such as diving, ice skating and gymnastics are more easily judged with subjective opinions as they are creative and aesthetically based, marked on form and presentation. Other events are based on purely prescribed criteria such as athletic events such as the 100m sprint and high jump. The important outcome of this event is the result, who came first; not how well they came first. Many sports are linked to a degree, for example in basketball the prescribed judging criteria is still to win with the overall amount of points, but subjective judging by the crowd and sponsors offering financial reward incentives are encouraged with flashy, exciting and skillful play by the players.

Thats a little weird at the end there but i hope you've got the drift.

Originally posted by Christie

What options do u do? Do u do Sports medicine or improving performance? Cos i was wondering if u did do them, what u reckon the main questions are likely to be asked?
i do those options too, i wonder if anyone on here does the other ones, i read it was only about 15% of HSC students last year did any of the other options...

cores: 2x
a) 4, b) 6, c) 10 marks
options: 2x
a) 3, b) 5, c) 12 marks

Sports Medicine

- soft tissue injuries (muscles, ligaments, skin) and how to manage them (RICER, avoid immediate HARM: heat, alcohol, running, massage)
- hard tissue injuries (bone fractures, breaks) and how to manage them too (DR ABC, immbolise area, ice elevate bandage, medical attention)
- TOTAPS for general injury assessment
i'm thinking there will almost certainly be a Q on managment of injuries.. in every practice paper i've seen - they're in there, usually the 3 mark question.

- i'd say there will be a question about either young, elderly or female athetes and their specific needs... so run an eye over all of them.. common sense should be able to pull you through here - its just trying to remember all the aspects. remember also in pd, even if you think what you're going to write is REALLY obvious do it anyway. trust me, i've missed marks on previous tests due to this.
- i wouldnt waste too much time on the preventative actions for sport injury... a lot of the aspects like strength and flexibility are covered in other parts of core 2 and improving performance... if they test this physical preparation stuff they're bastards :mad:
- thermoregulation KNOW it - it's also in core 2 & I.P (improving perf.).. so its odds on there will be a question somewhere..
readiation, conduction, convection, evaporation etc.. hyper/hypo thermia
- dont waste your time going over bandaging that should be PRAC ONLY
- the injury management proceedure and return to play is pretty important and would likely be a 12 marker if its in there. progressive mobilisation, stretching, conditioning, total body fitness, training, taping to prevent...then indicators of readiness to return to play, monitoring process, progressive involvement.. pressure to return.. all this fits in together and if you go over it together it will all gel in nicely :D... its a relitively comprehensive one as you'd already be aware :mad1: the heat/cold applications are worth running an eye over.. only because there's enough info there to base a queston on it.
- drug use - its hard to remember everythig in there - just try to remember all the drug names you can and their strongest characteristics and read over how theyre tested
The end! focus primarily on the things u think will be asked then fill in the gaps on the other

Improving Performance

STRENGTH TRAINING:
- knowing the general terms such as absolute strength and rep maximum is a good idea.. they'll fit it everywhere and in CORE 2.
-overload techniques
- isometric (static - doesnt change length)
- isotonic (free weights, fixed resitence)
- isokinetic (machine to enable max tension in muscle through FULL RANGE OF MOTION)

POWER & SPEED:
- a lot of this is already covered in CORE 2.. such as anerobic references and lactic acid/atp-pc
- plyometrics are specific to this area though so learn em!

ENDURANCE:
- focusses on the importance of aerbic oxygen systems

FLEXIBILITY:
- use all your terms from CORE 2 :) its pretty much the same. reading over the I.P. info here will also help you in CORE 2 :cool:

SKILL & IMPROVEMENT:
analysis of skills and types of feedback (both of these you should already know ok from CORE2)

this is pretty brief...the gaps to fill in are plentiful... just hope they dont ask a question on designing a training program (which they most liekly will).
So many stats n crap to remember... grrrr
:chainsaw:

- phases of competition (possible 3 mrk question).. pre, in, post, peaking and tapering. fuck remember those macro/micro cycles pfff dont worry about em... macro basicallly is big period of time (monthly), micro is weekly...
- dietry considerations - just talk about how you should eat before and after a meal as well as fluids... pretty obvious... actually EVERYTHING here is pretty obvious its just the TECHNICAL TERMS and shit that they're looking for and that are soooo hard to remember. if you ramble your way through it you should go ok though - you'll get 'ok' marks...
- supplements
- environmental factors like acclimatisation and altitude advantages
- relaxation techniques
- training programs... it would be safe to go into the exam knowing how to construct a training program.. everyone needs individual plan, monitoring, goals
- elements of a training session - warm up, skill aq, skill practice... you'l have to look these up im afraid theres just too much info...
- overtraining - how do you know when someone is.. syptoms.. physical, psychological
- use of technology - video analysis, clothing...

the new notes that some dude just submitted to the BOS notes database the other day on I.P. are really good for that stuff and all of IP in general (the ones by 'Moses').

oh yeah and kott dude.. my stuff is by no means gospel.. i got no problems with you or anyone else picking me up on mistakes - that way you always remember it better! and if its one thing i need improving on its memory!

Originally posted by Jan Kott

P.P.S I picked up one itty bitty technical error in the last post.

Carbohydrates are only used as a primary source of energy

at medium to high levels of intensity. Before that, fats are used

- thats why people should walk/jog to lose weight.
Ok so you're saying that carbos are only used first during say, endurance events? can u explain it a bit more i was only ever taught that fact generally that carbos are used 1st, then fat then in extreme cases protein in the muscles is broken down to provide fuel.

*editted carbs... Crazy thanks ;)

Last edited:

Crazy

insight i appreciate all your help!!
haha damn you've done heaps in this thread..which would account for your little error in the last post at the end about the protein...but i know what you mean anyway
and id have to say that Kott your idea about fats being used b4 carbs is pretty wrong going by how the rest of us have been taught
fats are used after carbs in all circumstances
the order is carbs>fats> and in extreme cases protein!!
unless u can convince me otherwise of course :D :)

2 against 1 is good enough evidence for me the day before the exam... i bet they won't even test it :p bastards

p.s. i changed the mistake in the above post when i was adding the rest of the I.P stuff... now you've made a mistake for accusing me of nothing! lol

Jan Kott

Basic premise behind fats being used first:

When fats are metabolized they produce twice the amount of

energy as an equivalent amount of carbohydrates.

(something like 32Kj to 16Kj per kilo or gram i forget what it

is). However, it takes twice (approx) the amount of oxygen to

metabolize

fats. Therefore, at low physical intensity the fats will be

metabolized preferrentially to the carbos when there is plentiful

amount of oxygen. But as soon as the intensity is raised above a

certain level, more energy is required for the muscles to work

so it starts using carbos (glycogen) as they are easier to break

down. This is the premise behind glycogen sparing in the

marathon. The athlete is able to maintain sustained metabolism

of the fatty acids as they have more efficient system from training,

and able to save gylcogen stores for when intensity needs to be

"stepped up".

Hope that kinda explained.

Jan Kott

P.S When i said medium to high intensity in the first post

i meant medium to high aerobic intensity. This is still

well below the anaerobic threshold.

Jan Kott

P.P.S

So it can be seen that your day to day energy does not

completely come from carbohydrates, most of it is from the break

down of fats (or to be more precise fatty acids).

But, as you said insight, don't take any of this as gospel.

I could be wrong, but i think the basic notion is all right.

Crazy

yes yes i agree with all that you've said kott

my point which i didnt make very clearly, was that initially CHO in the form of blood glucose and muscle glycogen, is the fuel source regardless of the intensity/duration of the exercise(after ATP stores are diminished of course). The body doesn't automatically switch to fats as fuel source. lol if it did, australia wouldnt have one of the highest obesity rates in the worlds...well not as many anyway

im open to criticism on my ideas, feel free to rip me off just like insight does ;)

pe so isnt my subject, but ill give the exam a go tomorrow anywayzzz :cool:

ohh and insight i meant to double post
:eek: haha ok ok so maybe i didnt, just testament to my dickheadedness i guess :p

& good luck to all of us...:)

Jan Kott

I'm very confused. Went searching on the net to try and clear my

thoughts - and found this:

The most abundant energy source available to the muscle fiber is fat. The breakdown of fat to yield ATP is referred to as lipolysis. While the supply of fatty acids is essentially unlimited, the rate at which lipolysis occurs is the limiting factor in obtaining ATP. Lipolysis is responsible for resting muscle activity, but its contribution to the overall muscle energy supply will decrease as contraction intensity increases. For example, glycogen depletion occurs when the rate of lipolysis cannot meet the energy demand of the exercise, and the reliance on glycolysis expends the available glycogen stores. Once glycogen depletion occurs, exercise intensity will be reduced dramatically. However, a small decrease in intensity (e.g. slowing the pace) earlier in the exercise bout would spare glycogen sufficiently to avoid depletion. In turn, the importance of facilitating lipolysis during endurance events cannot be overemphasized.

But I read elsewhere (as you stated - and i agree with you) that

carbos are the main fuel. The thing above says lipolysis is

respnsible for resting muscle activity. What to think, what to

think.

Wait!

I found what i was looking for.

Triglycerides are broken down to fatty acids and glycerol.
The fatty acids and glycerol are released from the adipocytes into the bloodstream and transported to the liver where they can be converted directly into energy. Alternatively, glycerol can be converted to glucose and fatty acids to ketone bodies that can be utilized for energy generation by other organs and tissues.

So really, fats and carbos play a leading role in the production

of energy for day to day lives - i think.

anyway, off to sulk.

had to much coffee.

good luck tommorow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)