Speculative Fiction (1 Viewer)

princesskt

HSC
Hey guyz, i was just wondering if there was anyone who was doing this genre if they could tell me where they're up to.. see.. theres only 3 ppl in my class and my teacher has always been away when we're sposed to have extension. we've had like 2 or 3 lessons so far and we've really only talked bout wat genre is and like fantasy and sci fi and spec fic and how they differ and all. id appreciate if u could let me know where ur up to in the course..? like if u have anything ud advise me to do over the hols and all.. thanks!!

lifewontwait

HSC
I'm doing speculative fiction, too. We've just got to read a few books over the holidays. During the term we read The Handmaid's Tale, and holiday reading is Dune and Cyteen.

Dune is boring to me thus far, but that's because I'm reading it at the same time as I am Tommyland... And Cyteen hasn't been touched.

Maybe just read those and see how you go?

princesskt

HSC
thanks.. yea we have the handmaids tale and dune to read as well. im reading dune and i agree... its boring.. lol

lifewontwait

HSC
Glad someone agrees with me. Handmaid's Tale is awesome, though. I loved that book, even though I had trouble believing that it could happen. Dune seems to clinical for me at the moment, but I do need to get it done.

princesskt

HSC
ive been saving handmaids tale till last coz everyone says its good. i thought id get the crap one done first then i can enjoy handmaids tale lol

lifewontwait

HSC
Definitely do that. We did it first, and now I'm just a bit lost with Dune. Need to read it... And do a million other things, all associated with English.

lollirox

HSC
hey not sure if your still interested but we have gone through what you have as well with what spec fic is and we've also done our unit of study on the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and during the holidays we're supposed to be choosing our related texts and forming notes on them so that when we go back to school we can start on Handmaiden's Tale already having 3 other texts to compare it with. xo

princesskt

HSC
ok cool thanks.. my teacher was planning a day for us to watch LotR together but that never happened.. that im not worried bout coz ive seen it a million times already :p but yea thats a good idea thanks. i havent yet thought bout ORT's yet. Ive just been trying to get through Dune lol. but thanks heaps!

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I did Spec Fiction last year and was going to get all inspired and helpful by making a site with info for other spec fic students (you may have already noticed the lack of other resources) however I didn't get very far with it and... well, gave up to put it simply. Anyway I did track down some links to articles my teacher gave us which helped me get going in the 'what is spec fiction' and why do we apreciate spec fiction' generalness.

here's the link if you feel like taking a peek: http://www.geocities.com/neat_neat89/SpecFicHome.html
Perhaps I'll get inspired and finish it off one day... you never know.

Also if you want some help, email me - I may be of use.

princesskt

HSC
thanks guys.. but im afraid its no help anymore.. im doing crime fiction at my new school lol.. but thanks anyway! i do appreciate you help!!!

BlackDragon

HSC
I would just like to say everyone that is doing EE1, Genre and this module, that you have picked the best option possible. You are going to have a fun year! Studying sci fci, pure speculative fiction and fantasy! This subject rocks. (and not many people do it). Crime fiction and Revenge Tragedy (plus every other module) suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)