speculative fiction (1 Viewer)

elmostar

hey
for exension 1 were doing speculative fiction, i was just wondering if anyone else out there is doing it and if so what are your idea's on the topic?
also margaret atwood was recently in sydney, i didnt get the chance to go , did anyone of you get the chance? if so what can you tell me about it?
cheers

Aussiechick

HSC
theres another person doing speculative fiction?! YAY! We both have to stick together lol

which texts are u doing? I'm doing Lord of the Rings, Handmaids Tale & Dune

elmostar

hey!!!
yes we do.lol.
yeah we are doing the handmaids tale (we have just finished it) and next we are doing cyteen. i didnt even know what speculative fiction was until recently lol.do you do the 4th unit as well?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey guys,

I'm also doing Speculative Fiction. Seems that quite a few people aren't eh? Just completed Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. I'm moving onto the Handmaid's Tale next. Didn't get up to Sydney, it's 566 km away...hehehehe.
What school are you two at?
I'm at Albury High

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hey is that you Katie? It's Ashlee here from Yr 12 (well... finished Yr 12 now lol)

elmostar

hey , i go to macksville high...what about the rest of you? has anyone done or about to do "cyteen"??? it looks pretty boring....
bye

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Hey is that you Katie? It's Ashlee here from Yr 12 (well... finished Yr 12 now lol)
Hi Ashlee, I never told you but well done on getting Dux. Yeah it is Katie here. I'm whinging about Ext Eng and Barbs psycho attitude towards speculative fiction!!!

Elmostar: We've been given Cyteen to read by the end of term 1. It looks long, boring and unoriginal. But I am most likely to be incredibly Wrong.

There aren't many of us Speculative Fiction kids, we should share notes once we get back into the swing of things at school.

Last edited:

elmostar

yeah, good idea! we have also been given 'brave new world" to read for english advanced. great ( note the sarcasm) sticking together is a good idea.cya

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Skillo
Hi Ashlee, I never told you but well done on getting Dux. Yeah it is Katie here. I'm whinging about Ext Eng and Barbs psycho attitude towards speculative fiction!!!
LOL.... yes he is a bit obsessed with it! Thanks for the congrats, and have fun with your sci fi!!!

Aussiechick

HSC
Originally posted by elmostar
hey!!!
yes we do.lol.
yeah we are doing the handmaids tale (we have just finished it) and next we are doing cyteen. i didnt even know what speculative fiction was until recently lol.do you do the 4th unit as well?
I've started reading Handmaid's tale, but I'm not quite sure what its about yet. Any insight?

Yep I do the 4th unit as well and I'm writing a short story. I'm going pretty well with it so far

jellybeenz

HSC
We are doing LOTR, Dune & Handmaids Tale. I am nowhere near finishing Dune and I have heaps of other homework.

Do you guys have any insight on good related material and what to do with it when you finally get it... because I'm a little stuck...:confused:

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Started Handmaid's Tale and now 170 pages into it. Rich in philosophy, easy read once you get the hang of it. I find it sad...really sad. Its set it about 150 years from now. Social heirachy present and really enforced. Basis of religion pisses me off sometimes. I think it's about many things, love, social differences, deconstruction of society. It's comparative between the Handmaid's "previous" life and the one she lead now. Good read so far...tell you what I reckon when I finish it.

As for related material...I'm just as stuck as you jellybeenz

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well we did a sci fi type unit in Yr 11.... I think u could use the novel Neuromancer for speculative fiction.... there are also science fiction classics like War of the Worlds, Day of the Triffids... also Farenheit 451... take a look at writings by "classic" sci fi authors.... www.sparknotes.com may be helpful.

I'm not really sure of the rubric of the module, but it seems like a sci fi module, so those are some texts that could possibly work??

Also maybe the matrix for a movie??

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Yeah, we did that Sci-Fi unit too, but that was when I dropped Eng Ext...and then picked it up again...went through English crisis.

For related material, would it be a good idea to pick out the sci-fi/fantasy texts that are listed under the suggested texts - imaginative journey thread in the AOS forum???

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Yay, what a good forum this wil be for me!
And like all of you, doing the same texts
Ive only managed to read the handmaids tale...kinda odd. I wouldnt say i enjoyed it, but i certianly found it interesting.

And btw...we do have to stick together

"I hate how these waffles stick together"
"Sticking together is what good waffles do."
LOL

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
i mean in south west of sydney suburban area...fairfield-parra area???
The least you could ahev done was send a pm, that way i know yoiur talking to me LOl

waffles are NICE! what are you on about!

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
oh ffld-parra area?
damn.. that's far from where i school at llyrai!

BKS

Hey im doing spec fiction aswell....
handmaid's tale, LOTR, Cyteen

Some good related texts i considered are : " The unparalleled adventures of One Hans Pfaal" (its a little strange but it focuses on alternative thinking and ways of thinking), "Bionicle" ( a light hearted introduction to speculative fiction which introduces all the critical elements of the topic), "The cave" by Plato ( a poem which i am yet to read but have been recommended), "apocolypse now, Clockwork Orange", The genesis story in the bible.

Those are just a few that i have been introduced to during the course so far...any suggestions on more related texts would be welcomed!

Last edited:

jellybeenz

HSC
We really need to stick together- I'm good with waffles.

I've read a bit of Dune and have chosen some related material- I chose the movie Gattaca- but there is a guy in my class who wants to do it also- so the teacher said whomever gives her the analysis first gets to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)