Speculum (1 Viewer)

Kegs

HSC
Some of you may have heard and even seen the unis new student publication. It goes by the name of Speculum and it would be awesome if we could get some contributions from as many people as possible. Anything is acceptable, from hard hitting investigations to something you thought up while in the shower pondering. Nothing is to extreme* and all will be considered. But please, nothing about the state of car parking on campus. We know it is shit. Lets move on. Photos, cartoons and graphics are also welcome.

Please send any ideas or work to mqspeculum at gmail com. Even if you think you have a good diea but dont want to write, we would like to hear it. The deadline for the O-Week issue is 10th Feb, but it is a weekly publication, so you can always make the next issue. If you want to chat to us, please drop into our office at the bottom of the bar stairs.

Happy creating!
Kegs

Kegs

HSC
It really depends on the article. If you have an idea not yet written, please send a pitch of around 100 words to us and we can let you know what we think, and give you a word limit, if one is not already considered.

The long and the short of it is;

Features: 800-1500 words
Columns: 300 - 600 words
Reviews: 200 - 350 words

There are many other things to be considered, but these are just guidelines. If you have something else in mind (whether it be article style or word limit for something), please email us.

Tabris

HSC
I dont think thats a good name "speculum"

I just googled it to find out what it was....

miss-smexy

HSC
hahahha 'investigating body cavities'?

Anyway, i read that issue which was given out on pre-enrolment day. Pretty good... but I think you could spice it up a bit more. Have you read Honi Soit (Usyd's one)? Speculum had was entertaining and perhaps you could get people to submit short stories etc. because they're interesting and make for a good read on the bus home...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Needs more high res photos of abstract uni locations!

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
AsyLum said:
oh for shiz :p that makes the best read! damn.. i wish i picked up a copy at pre-enrolment.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
You can do a competition on it. Have the mag publish 5 abstract locations of the uni and people have to guess where they are.

Of course, you'll have to dish out prizes...

EDIT: ok, if you guys consider it seriously, i may dish out the prizes - only because i'm bored (and they will probably be second hand).

Also, I could do some feature article on the MACCS centres groovy equipment? (yes, that was probably a Class-A Nerd Idea...). Eye trackers, big brain machines... but again, only if it is something that someone would actually read.

Last edited:

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
i would personally read it.. if its well written and explains things clearly. Would love to get some inside info on the MACCS centre XD

miss-smexy

HSC
Lol Speculum is on facebook - discussing the name 'Speculum' XD

Thought Shark

HSC
Are they fucking serious?

A speculum is a medical tool for investigating body cavities, with a form dependent on the body cavity for which it is designed. In old texts, the speculum may also be referred to as a diopter or dioptra.[1]

Vaginal specula were used by the Romans, and speculum artifacts have been found in Pompeii.[2] A vaginal speculum, developed by J. Marion Sims, consists of a hollow cylinder with a rounded end that is divided into two hinged parts, somewhat like the beak of a duck. The speculum is inserted into the vagina to dilate it for examination of the vagina and cervix.

A specialized form of vaginal speculum is the weighted speculum, which consists of a broad half tube which is bent at about a 90 degree angle, with the channel of the tube on the exterior side of the angle. One end of the tube has a roughly spherical metal weight surrounding the channel of the speculum. A weighted speculum is placed in the vagina during vaginal surgery with the patient in the lithotomy position. The weight holds the speculum in place and frees the surgeon's hands for other tasks.

Vaginal specula are also used for anal surgery, although several other forms of anal specula exist. One common form, the sigmoidoscope, resembles a tube that has a removable bullet shaped insert. When the speculum is inserted into the rectum, the insert dilates the rectum to the diameter of the tube. The insert is then removed, leaving the tube to allow examination of the rectum. This style of anal speculum is one of the oldest designs for surgical instruments still in use, with examples dating back many centuries.

Kegs

HSC
Yes it seems they are serious. You have captured one of the meanings of Speculum quite well. But why only half the article. Surely you could have copy/pasted the rest of the wikipedia article. I have pasted below to save you the trouble.

Ear specula resemble a funnel, and come in a variety of sizes.

Nasal specula have two relatively flat blades with handle. The instrument is hinged so that when the handles are squeezed together the blades spread laterally, allowing examination.

All specula were formerly made of metal, and sterilized after use. However, many, especially those used in Emergency Departments and Doctor's offices, are now made of plastic, and are sterile, disposable, single-use items. Those used in surgical suites are still commonly made of metal.

Vaginal and anal specula are also sometimes used as sex toys.[citation needed]

Contrary to some previously-held opinions, the speculum does not cause damage to the vaginal opening, as many gynecological teachers will attest. In very few states in the United States, vaginal specula are illegal for personal use, but since there was a popular cervical self-examination component to the second-wave feminist movement, many states are either much more lenient or have completely relinquished restrictions on speculum use. However, distributors still face specific guidelines about which specula may or may not be sold.​

But why stop there when we could look at all the other meanings that Speculum has.

Speculum metal is a very hard white alloy of four parts copper to one part tin, or according to other sources, 67% copper and 33% tin; some compositions contained 1–2% of arsenic. Composition with 45% tin has more resistance to tarnishing.

It was used by some early telescope makers. For instance, Lord Rosse in 1845 used the alloy for the 72-inch mirror of his "Leviathan of Parsonstown" telescope. The metal has the unfortunate property of tarnishing rapidly, requiring constant re-polishing that can easily disfigure a telescope mirror.

Use of speculum metals for mirrors declined after 1859, when Leon Foucault published his results on silvered glass parabolical mirrors.​

Then there is this;

The speculum is a patch, often distinctly coloured, on the inner remiges of some birds.

Examples of the colour(s) of the speculum in a number of ducks are:

* Common Teal: Iridescent green.
* Green-winged Teal: Iridescent green.
* Blue-winged Teal: Iridescent blue.
* Pacific Black Duck: Iridescent green, edged light buff.
* Mallard: Iridescent purple-blue with white edges.
* American Black Duck: Iridescent purple-blue (not edged white).
* Northern Pintail: Iridescent greenish black, edged white at back and orange in front.
* Gadwall: Small and white, but only obvious in male
* Yellow-billed Duck: Iridescent green or blue, bordered white.

Bright wing speculums are also known from a number of other birds; among them are several parrots from the genus Amazona with red or orange speculums.​

And this;

Speculum is a quarterly journal published by the Medieval Academy of America. According to JSTOR, is is the oldest journal devoted exclusively to the Middle Ages, having been published since 1926. The four annual issues are published in January, April, July, and October.

The journal's primary focus is on articles about the time period from 500-1500 in Western Europe, but articles have also appeared on related subjects such as Byzantine, Hebrew, Arabic, and Slavic studies.​

But wait, there is more:

The medieval genre of speculum literature, popular from the twelfth through the sixteenth centuries, was inspired by the urge to encompass encyclopedic knowledge within a single work. The modern equivalent is a summary survey, in the sense of a survey article in a scholarly journal that summarizes a field of research. The speculum image, of the mirror that reflects far and wide, was drawn from the magical mirror that was supposed to belong among the treasures of legendary Prester John somewhere in the East. Through it every province could be seen. In the genre "Speculum of Princes", the prince's realms were surveyed and his duties laid out. Other specula offered mirrors of history, of doctrine or morals,

A number of medieval book titles include the word speculum:

* Speculum alchimiae, the "Mirror of Alchemy", written by Roger Bacon.
* Speculum astronomiae, written by Albertus Magnus.
* Speculum ecclesiae, the "Mirror of the Church", written by Edmund Rich.
* Speculum historiale, part of Speculum Maius the "Great Mirror" written by Vincent of Beauvais.
* Speculum Humanae Salvationis, the "Mirror of human salvation", written c. 1309-24, perhaps by Ludolph of Saxony.
* Speculum judiciale, or Speculum iuris, the "Mirror for Judges", written by Guillaume Durand.
* Speculum meditantis, the "Mirror of Meditations", written by John Gower.
* Speculum perfectionis, written by Brother Leo.
* Speculum stultorum, the "Mirror of Fools" written by Nigel de Longchamps
* Speculum regale, the "Mirror of Kings", which contains instructions for a young prince.

In English mirror appears in, among many other works, the Myrrour of the Worlde (1490), one of the first illustrated books printed in English, by William Caxton (a translation of "L'image du Monde", an overview of the sciences), the perennially-republished A Mirror for Magistrates (1559), and The Miroir or Glasse of the Synneful Soul, a manuscript translation from the French by the young Queen Elizabeth I of England.

Similarly, the journal Speculum, published by the Medieval Academy of America, covers every aspect of the medieval world.​

Surely by now, that must be it. If you have made it this far you have done well. As those looking closely may have noticed, there is something of a theme running through the last definition. And to look into this, one is required to venture beyond wikipedia.

speculum

Main Entry:
spec·u·lum
Pronunciation:
\ˈspe-kyə-ləm\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural spec·u·la
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin, mirror, from specere
Date:
15th century

Taken from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary​

And so I leave you with what is surely the most relevant meaning for Macquarie and it's new student paper. A mirror, of sorts, to reflect and look at the university as a whole.

After all this, if someone would like to post a coherent argument as to why the name is a bad choice, I would be happy to hear it. It is sad to see such arguments as 'Are they fucking serious' and 'It is offensive' used when so much more could be said about it. I fail to see what is offensive. If medical instruments are so offensive, god help anyone who actually has to have a medical procedure.

Last edited:

david1337king

HSC
I got the enrolment issue of speculum. I just noticed that there is a dead bird in the front cover of that issue. Its located above the "e" in "your guide to".

X

xeuyrawp

Kegs said:
And so I leave you with what is surely the most relevant meaning for Macquarie and it's new student paper. A mirror, of sorts, to reflect and look at the university as a whole.
As we say in linguistics, that's just not the productive usage. :D

After all this, if someone would like to post a coherent argument as to why the name is a bad choice, I would be happy to hear it. It is sad to see such arguments as 'Are they fucking serious' and 'It is offensive' used when so much more could be said about it. I fail to see what is offensive. If medical instruments are so offensive, god help anyone who actually has to have a medical procedure.
I think it's a great name - another university instrument to fuck students in the asshole! :D

*ducks for cover*

<3

But seriously, people, it's called The Spec. :)

edit:
david1337king said:
I got the enrolment issue of speculum. I just noticed that there is a dead bird in the front cover of that issue. Its located above the "e" in "your guide to".
It's clearly a duck, davidl337king. Any other keen observations?

Last edited by a moderator:

miss-smexy

HSC
Kegs, does the Speculum team simply ignore emails regarding articles that are of no use to them?

Kegs

HSC
Which article did you send us? We dont ignore people, it is just hard to get back to everyone and make the publication at the same time. I sent out an email the other day to people who want to write, but if you have emailed us and didnt get it, please let me know. Sorry if it seems like we are ignoring you. The O-Week issue (which went to print yesterday) was hectic. But hopefully we will have a little more space to get back to everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)