• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speech and Hearing Sciences (1 Viewer)

purplefrangi

*Pip*
HSC
Hey- sorry if this a question someone else has asked before!

Im currently doing my HSC and am really interested in becoming a Speech Pathologist. Macquarie offers a B SpchHearing science.. which leads to a Master of Speech Pathology.

The thing is Usyd (cumberland) offers a four year B Speech pathology... which would be quicker. The thing is, i really like Macquarie better as a Uni...

Since i have to choose the better degree I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Speech/Hearing degree at Macquarie.. wether the extra two years would be worth it compared to the 4 year Usyd degree and how hard it would be to get into the Masters course after completing it

Any info would be great!

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Macquarie has one of the largest and reputable speech and hearing science department in Australia, so it’s probably best to go there, but then it depends entirely up to you. I’ve done a few speech and hearing science units at mq and the lecturers are actually really good. To get into masters course, you need a minimum gpa of 3.00, which is quite difficult to gain. If you want more info about doing speech and hearing science at mq, go to the website http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/index.htm

Hope this helps!!

salsydney

HSC
i'm doing speech pathology at usyd, and thus know a bit about related courses, as well as the hearing and speech degree that usyd offers, and the masters of speech path that is offered on our campus.
I think if you have the marks, just go for the speech path degree at usyd... our campus is in a bit of a random spot, but its a nice little campus, you'll learn to love and hate it. however, if you've got the marks for hearing and speech, i recommend either uni... a lot of people have done first or 2nd yr hearing and speech, and transferred into the speech path degree, which is still a hell of a lot quicker than doing bachelors of hearing and speech, then a speech path masters degree... you won't be any more qualified with a masters in speech path, than you will be getting your bachelors in speech path, so don't be doing it for that reason.
:)

purplefrangi

*Pip*
HSC
Thanks to both of you who replied it was all pretty helpful.

I actually emailed a research deputy (not exactly sure of his title) at Macquarie who told me all the advantages and disadvantages.
At the moment im favouring macquarie because of the option i have to pursue either audiology or speech pathology as im interesed in both currently. Also the research/lecturer told me although the masters dosen't hold much more weight within Australia- its much more attractive overseas than a B degree which is where i eventually want to head!

Also, i come from way out of area, and the colleges at Macquarie seem pretty good... lol bit of a weak reason there...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No not at all, all these factors contribute to the individual's experience at uni. If you are going to be there for a while, you have to juggle such things with what you want. :)

Don't think its a weak reason, a lot of people decide its far more convenient to be comfortable and enjoy their degree :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)