• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

speech essay structure (1 Viewer)

rach_1

HSC
my english teacher told us not to talk specifically about 1 speech then the other, but to mesh them together. i dont know how to do that... do u link them with themes, techniques. i think its better to have them separatly but not sure wat to do. wat r others doing???

HSC
Oh I know, I would like to know as well? But does that come down to synthesis again or something? I would prefer to each speech separately, possibly drawing more comparison in the second speech with the first.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
This is the same thing over and over again. Ultimately yes, an integrated approach normally makes a better essay. it is more difficult to do, but it makes for a more sophisticated answer. to take an integrated approach, you would choose a theme and compare them both in each. so for example, look at the values and attitudes.

For example:

in this speech there is a theme of democracy becuase of the etc etc context
HOWEVER in this speech, being of a postmodern context where metanarratives dont exist, democracy isnt a major theme.

HOWEVER having said that, a text by text approach can easily be done as well. the main purpose of an integrted response is to save you doubling up on themes if the speeches are similar.

ultimately, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. great responses can still be achieved using the text by text approach. i would try both ways and see which you can do best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)