• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speech -First Assesment (1 Viewer)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
cherry1991 said:
I had to chose two texts related to the concept of Belonging.
One of my choices was an artwork by Tracey Moffat but i am finding it difficult to find techniques used that relates to the concept of belonging

http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/artists/26/Tracey_Moffatt/75/32682/

The link to the image

Well i dnt knw if any of this is right, but ....

1- the obvious : the lady in the frnt clearly doesnt blong, ie: her dress is red and evryone else is white ( red must be symbolic for something ) , she has dark hair while eeveryone else has brown/blonde and she looks like shes more upper class while they look countryish.. shes also standing alone in front of them. This can be symbolic or contrasted

2- her facial expression + posture. everyone else looks like theyre comfortable where they are and theyre very casual looking. she looks deep in thought and shes standing ' elegantly ' ?

3- layout - why is she directly appealed to ? like whys she in frnt where as theyre at the back. hows it relate to belonging ( sorry im asking u because u can relate it to ur other text and match it the way it suits u )

4- the background ie the desert clearly signifies isolation. plus this is the only house in the whole pic and all the people seem to be of that house or around ti where as shes an outsider

thats all i can think off of the top of my head. sorry my response is kinda broad. i gotta do my speech for eng too and drafts due tmr ><" goodluck. i hope i helped at least a little :)

cherry1991

HSC
OH thanks for starting me off, you are really helpful
Good luck with your English speech
:)

harriet.rose

HSC
I'm doing the same photo but for a related text portfolio.
Do you think it's sophisticated enough for advanced english?
I get told a whole lot that the related texts i choose are too juvenile.
Anyone?

bored of sc

HSC
A few more ideas to add.

Focal point: woman in red dress is the dominant object within the image as she is brighter, larger and clearer/more distinguishable (colour, placement, size) than the other people. The other people are all mesmerised/possibly intimidated by the woman and are all looking at her which suggests she is being judged. This could suggest she is not congruent with the dominant group/lifestyle etc, further implying her alienation.

Clothing: the clothing of people implies the main woman has a higher socio-economic status than those around her. She is wearing is clean, red, decorated, 'going-out' dress while the others are wearing dirtier, colourless, crumpled, 'stay-at-home' clothes. Her social/economic status makes it difficult for her to integrate into the group.

You could go all out and say she does not belong because she is not prejudiced. The others are studying her, looking for human weaknesses while she is staring at the surroundings (I think). She is interested in the physical environment which is a stark contrast to those around her who are more worried about the flaws of humanity/finding weakness/making false judgements.
The woman is the antithesis of the rest of the group. She is familiar with people but confused by her surroundings whereas the others are familiar with their surroundings but confused by the woman (person). Refer to facial expression, body language.

I'll stop there: my analysis is weak/generalised but in terms of techniques it is what you should look out for.

Just realised you would have finished this task a month ago. :(

To Harriet: sometimes the better related texts are the simplier ones which can be analysed thoroughly to create complex, symbolic meaning - and the techniques are easier to pick up on too!

harriet.rose

HSC
A few more ideas to add.

Focal point: woman in red dress is the dominant object within the image as she is brighter, larger and clearer/more distinguishable (colour, placement, size) than the other people. The other people are all mesmerised/possibly intimidated by the woman and are all looking at her which suggests she is being judged. This could suggest she is not congruent with the dominant group/lifestyle etc, further implying her alienation.

Clothing: the clothing of people implies the main woman has a higher socio-economic status than those around her. She is wearing is clean, red, decorated, 'going-out' dress while the others are wearing dirtier, colourless, crumpled, 'stay-at-home' clothes. Her social/economic status makes it difficult for her to integrate into the group.

You could go all out and say she does not belong because she is not prejudiced. The others are studying her, looking for human weaknesses while she is staring at the surroundings (I think). She is interested in the physical environment which is a stark contrast to those around her who are more worried about the flaws of humanity/finding weakness/making false judgements.
The woman is the antithesis of the rest of the group. She is familiar with people but confused by her surroundings whereas the others are familiar with their surroundings but confused by the woman (person). Refer to facial expression, body language.

I'll stop there: my analysis is weak/generalised but in terms of techniques it is what you should look out for.

Just realised you would have finished this task a month ago. :(

To Harriet: sometimes the better related texts are the simplier ones which can be analysed thoroughly to create complex, symbolic meaning - and the techniques are easier to pick up on too!
A belated thank you to you Mr bored of sc, i got a really good mark for that related texts assessment. thanks for the guidance and ideas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)