Speech Pathology (1 Viewer)

LauraHLH

HSC
It's really good, I'm loving it so far. Still only in my first semester, so all the introductory stuff still, but it's all really good.

99% girls, you get the really driven people who love it straight off the bat, you get a lot who get a few weeks into it and realise it's not what they expected and drop out, but on the most part it's really good.

Anything you wanted to know in particular?

foolish bowie

HSC
Yeah I've heard that heaps of females do the course.

I was wondering how much of the course is based on science sort of subjects, as opposed to the linguistics and other stuff. I suppose it's hard for you to know if you're only in your first semester.

It's just that I dropped biology at the start of this year because of my crap teacher and I don't do any other sciences.

How many people dropped out of the course?
And how long have you wanted to do Speech pathology for?

Thanks.

LauraHLH

HSC
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/Resourc...ids/2010 Bachelor of Speech Pathology PEC.pdf

That is the course program I'm doing at the moment. Bit of a spread between science and the other stuff, really.

If you're not doing biology you can still do decently in Human Bioscience (here on in referred to as HUBS). Linguistics is pretty cool (well, I like it anyway) Intro to Child Speech is a whole lot of fun, and Intro to Psych can be pretty cool (but also kinda stressful)

We're really a mashup of a couple of different faculties- this semester I'm doing stuff from the Faculty of Arts & Education, the Faculty of Science & IT and from the Faculty of Health.

About 10? people have dropped out, from what I know. There may be more who just never showed up to class in the first place.

I've wanted to do Speech for about three and a half years now.

~untitled~

HSC
I read this topic and i'm like pick me pick me! Im a speechie kid. I'm halfway through my third year now.

The course is about half half science to ling. The first two years are based mostly upon child language (ew). But third year is more neurosciency where you do all of the stuff on swallowing and voice disorders, and stroke rehab type stuff. I didnt find the child speech stuff all that interesting and am definantly enjoying the adult stuff a lot more (but most prefer child language). I found biology was only a help to fist year, but it was a pretty massive help to first year, I personally would have had trouble learing all the biomed (HUBS) if i hadnt done bio.

As for droppings out, probably about 15ish out of an original 60 or 70 or something, but it gets confusing with some people going part time and stuff. Most drop out after the first year.

I only wanted to do speech pathology in about year 11, or at least a couple of years before leaving school. Im considering doing postgrad med as mature age because speech has made me really interested in ear nose and throat doctoring. But who knows where ill end up, ill def be staying with speech for a while anyway.

foolish bowie

HSC
Maybe I'll have to do a bridging course or something for biology?
I was actually good at biology it was just that my teacher was so bad that I learnt hardly anything in year 11.

It suddenly occurred to me in year 10 that I'd like to be a speech pathologist. I've always wanted to know about how we can speak, really.

I really want to do it, so hopefully I wont be one of the ones who drop out!

I'm thinking of occupational therapy as a back up, but Speech Pathology is more what I'm interested in.

~untitled~

HSC
You don't have to, i probably wouldn't recommend a bridging course exactly, you would just need to put more effort into studying etc. all of the information you need is in the textbook so when and if the time comes just put the effort into teaching yourself all the terminology etc you're not familiar with.

I cant even remember why i was interested in it, mum wanted me to be an OT, so maybe it was a half way compromise. However, OT as a backup wont really work because im nearly certain that the OT uai is higher than the spth uai, so if you dont get into spth than you wont get into ot.

I can assure youll consider dropping out. the work for this course is really boring (and near impossible to complete some assignments), pracs make it all worth it, but they are few and far between so youve still got to be determined enough to stick with it through the 2x 2000 word essays due each week when semester is nearing its close knowing that exams are looming ever so close. I should stop procrastinating now.

LauraHLH

HSC
OT was higher, and I've got a friend in OT that I met through our HUBS tute/PASS thingy, and he seems to like it okay. They're doing Intro to Health Sciences, Intro to OT, Anatomy and Human Bioscience first semester.

I've met a lot of Arts students who are doing their majors in Linguistics and Psychology and hoping to transfer over to Speech either next year or the year after.

foolish bowie

HSC
Well, I mean OT was going to be my backup once I got to uni and decided that I really didn't like speech. I want to try speech straight up, even if I get a way higher ATAR.

Hmmm. Lots of essays doesn't sound fun, but I guess that's uni.

I'm looking forward to all the pracs, even if they are rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)