Speech Pathology (1 Viewer)

HSC
i've just finished year 12 and am strongly consideirng doing speech pathology @ cumberland. I just wanted to know hwat the course is like & roughly how many hours a week ur in class? also if anyone is living on cumberland campus, is it OK accomodation, food etc.? Any info would be much appreciated :)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i have two friends who do it though

one of told me how she does 6 units (classes) a semester, has to open up dead peoples heads and examine their brains, ummm study psychology, cognitive psychology (cognitive basically means thought processes), i cant remember what other classes she told me.

hope that helps.

Skeeta

HSC
i do that course.. its great but VERY full on

8 subjects first semester (mix of psych, sciences and communication science and disorders subjects)

second semester is similar but only 7 subject

its 4 days a week but long days (sometimes 8-5) and yes you do have to do lab classes (for neuroscience/speech science/hearing science) which involve cavaders (dead preserved bodies)

i dont have a list of the subjects on me at the moment because i'm not at home but just ask if u need more info

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i know a girl who lives on campus at cumbo and another on campus in sydney.. they both enjoy it (good atmosphere - make close friends)

From memory theres approx 120 ppl all up (thats 60 from speech path 60 from hearing and speech)

oh and thats another thing if u didnt know... if you are determined to do speech path at usyd. Put ur preferences at speech path no1. and hearing and speech no2. They are exactly the same course (and in the same classes/mixed) for the first year. So if ur UAI isnt good enough to get into speech straight away, you can do H&S for the first year then transfer if you get a credit/distinction average (although alot of ppl try to do this)

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
no..cos im a loser who didnt sign up.
:(
I'm hoping my skills in german and english will hold me up- and my willingness to urm..work hard?
haha

salsydney

HSC
sadly, grammar is a total bitch... my personal recommendation? totally leach off the students who did do the grammar bridging course... thats the way i got through it, spent a few hrs working with some students who were total guns at grammar, and thats how i passed it. :)

btw, welcome to the course :) I've been overseas, so only saw this thread today... I'm 3rd year speech path this year :)

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
what grammer bridging course???? for what?? who when where why?

dora_18

HSC
ok Salsydney i have a minor question...ive just started doing Bachelor of Health Science (first yr)@ cumbo and as i look into it im really interested in speech pathology...what are my chances of transferring after the first year if i get a credit/distinction average?and if it is possible...do they only take into account your average of first year uni or your uai from the previous year as well?
cheers.

salsydney

HSC
hello dora...
i have no real idea... they do a lot of transfers into speech path at the end of first year, but those are direct entry into second year, from hearing and speech...
as for normal transfer... your chances are the same as anybody's really.. depends on demand. aim for a D average, and you should be able to. and im pretty sure after one yr out of high school, they take into account both uai and uni marks..

Skeeta

HSC
yeah theres a girl in my course that has done that. She transfered into 1st year speech path after doing Health Science. I'm almost positive that they take both uai and marks into account.

You'll probably be excepted from a few subject because you've already done them.. so your first year or two will be non-standard enrolment

dora_18

HSC
great..thanks guys....the only problem is that my uai from last year isnt wasnt good enough to get into speech pathology...im a few marks off...do u think if i did really well this year and got a good average it'll make up for it, say if i was to get better than a D average?

Skeeta

HSC
no no that doesnt really matter.. i had 2 friends transfer from hearing and speech into speech path - they were in h&s because their uais were less than 80 and they got mid-credit to distinction averages i think

and they got in so their marks in uni made up for their uai

ellabie

HSC
hey guys.. does anyone know the approximate student contributions for speech path in a commonwealth supported place?
thanks =]

Skeeta

HSC
do you mean how much it costs per semester?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)