Speech Pathology (1 Viewer)

ellabie

HSC
Thanks guys

Skeeta, approximately how much $$ a semester, including textbooks and any other equipment (if its not too personal) (just a ball park figure)

And thankyou very much triangulum =]

Skeeta

HSC
Textbooks usually cost about $80-150 each. It gets costly if you buy one for every subject (we usually have 7-8 subjects) BUT you can usually get away with buying two or three essential ones per semester. Well.. you can get away without buying ANY of them, but you'll be spending alot of time photocopying in the library. Also, you'll need a lot of the textbooks to research when you're out in the field.

You can also get second hand texts from people in older years trying to get rid of theirs. That being said though, if its a textbook that they dont want to keep (ie.. wont be useful in practice) then i probably wouldnt buy it.

An average figure is about $500 a semester on textbooks (sometimes less). The only other equipment you really need is a labcoat which you can pick up for about $30, but lasts until you die. Oh, and other random things like CPR courses, sign language courses often pop up along the way and are around $100

There are also course readers (but only for first year pretty much) but they arent very expensive, usually $30-40 for all of them (and they are ESSENTIAL)

ellabie

HSC
Skeeta thankyou =]
Textbooks aren't as expensive as i thought.
Ive just gotten a job to try to start saving up for all this!
Thanks heaps =]

rozymisty

HSC
Just wondering if any of you know how to correct lisps and other speech impediments. I dont have a strong impediment, but its noticeble enough and has caused a lot of bullying by heaps of people and it certainly affects my self confidencde etc, and i want to correct it.

But i dont have enough money to get sessions with a speech pathologist. I had speech therapy in yr 5/6 but that didnt really help, nor did drama to help get my confidence. Mum reckons im just lazy and dont open my mouth enough but thats a load of bull.

Any help, either in this thread or PM would be greeatly appreciated.

BTW nursing textbooks and medical ones are a fortune!! But you will use those textbooks for the rest of your career, so they are 'investment' books. But then of course they like us health care pple to use databases, whcih provide the most up to date info.

Skeeta

HSC
rozymisty said:
Just wondering if any of you know how to correct lisps and other speech impediments. I dont have a strong impediment, but its noticeble enough and has caused a lot of bullying by heaps of people and it certainly affects my self confidencde etc, and i want to correct it.

But i dont have enough money to get sessions with a speech pathologist. I had speech therapy in yr 5/6 but that didnt really help, nor did drama to help get my confidence. Mum reckons im just lazy and dont open my mouth enough but thats a load of bull.
Yes, we are taught to how do that. Motivation is a very important factor. The truth is, the older you are, the harder you will have to work in order to correct it. There are community health centres that provide free therapy, but there is a waiting list. If you are extremely motivated, you might be able to see a speech pathologist who will provide a home program for you to conduct on your own.

rozymisty

HSC
Hm well when i went to teh doctor a month or so ago I asked about it, and she said there isnt any bulk billed ones, and the community ones are ages on the waiting list. Unless there was a chronic medical condition that caused it. THing is i dont know why i have it. My parents talked fine, my sister is 6yrs younger than me and she's perfect, and my brothers only have a slight one, but you cant really notic it in them. I gues i was the unlucky one- glasses, dental problems, not talented etc lol.

I know that uni of qld is the only uni in Qld that offers speech pathology and they have public clinics where the students get to do lessons etc wtih the public. I looked into that a few years ago, but its the same cost anyway of what you'd be out of pocket wtih MBF etc, so I think ill just ahve to wait until i get some money and go and see one in private practice.

Unless you would lke the experiece and practice and send me some free actvites over the net?

mm713

HSC
oh and thats another thing if u didnt know... if you are determined to do speech path at usyd. Put ur preferences at speech path no1. and hearing and speech no2. They are exactly the same course (and in the same classes/mixed) for the first year. So if ur UAI isnt good enough to get into speech straight away, you can do H&S for the first year then transfer if you get a credit/distinction average (although alot of ppl try to do this)
hi skeeta, i was wondering if you could tell me whether if it's still possible to transfer after the first year of B Health Sci? I put applied speech path at usyd as my first preference and health sci as second and got an offer for B health sci this evening. i'm just worried that employers will choose a person who's graduated with speech path more than health sci and master of speech lang path because people who have done speech path have more clinical experience and is more focused on the subject for a longer time??
thank you in advance!

brownie44

HSC
hi skeeta, i was wondering if you could tell me whether if it's still possible to transfer after the first year of B Health Sci? I put applied speech path at usyd as my first preference and health sci as second and got an offer for B health sci this evening. i'm just worried that employers will choose a person who's graduated with speech path more than health sci and master of speech lang path because people who have done speech path have more clinical experience and is more focused on the subject for a longer time??
thank you in advance!
It is definitely possible to transfer. Im in BHS at the moment and my friend who was also in BHS applied for and got an offer for applied speech path last night. Her marks at uni were very competitive and she had a distinction average. Its definitely possible, you just need to work hard :)

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
No tricia (lecturer at usyd for speech path) said specifically that they will not pick a person with a "masters" degree over someone with a Bachelor degree, it's also like a policy thingy they made that they're not allowed to pick because of masters/bachelor.

mm713

HSC
It is definitely possible to transfer. Im in BHS at the moment and my friend who was also in BHS applied for and got an offer for applied speech path last night. Her marks at uni were very competitive and she had a distinction average. Its definitely possible, you just need to work hard :)
thank you!

mm713

HSC
No tricia (lecturer at usyd for speech path) said specifically that they will not pick a person with a "masters" degree over someone with a Bachelor degree, it's also like a policy thingy they made that they're not allowed to pick because of masters/bachelor.
thanks m-mfhs. so they won't pick B applied sci (speech path) over someone who's done B health sci --> masters SLP and vice versa? does this mean that having less/more clinical experience doesn't matter?

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL actually since i havent done 2nd year yet Im not sure about clinical. But what I know is that,

if you do masters , you start clicnical (treat clients) by yourself on your own lol

but if you do bachelor , you are paired with a 4th year student to guide you and you meet with your supervisor etc

this will happen to me this year, ekk! im scared eheheh >.<!!!

but yeah tricia, whos co-ordinator of speech path said that they don't pick masters over bachelor vise versa.

:sun: the only upside with doing masters is that you get two degrees, but i say you just do bachelors if you want to do speech path in the end ehheeh! ^_^

mm713

HSC
LOL actually since i havent done 2nd year yet Im not sure about clinical. But what I know is that,

if you do masters , you start clicnical (treat clients) by yourself on your own lol

but if you do bachelor , you are paired with a 4th year student to guide you and you meet with your supervisor etc

this will happen to me this year, ekk! im scared eheheh >.<!!!

but yeah tricia, whos co-ordinator of speech path said that they don't pick masters over bachelor vise versa.

:sun: the only upside with doing masters is that you get two degrees, but i say you just do bachelors if you want to do speech path in the end ehheeh! ^_^
thank you again m-mfhs for your advice! good luck with starting clinical!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)