Speech (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Re: Anything that you would like?

Do you think 900 words for a 5 minute speech would be a comfortable talking speecd?

Last edited:

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't the best way to find out actually practise it in front of the mirror or the family and time it?

I mean, those 900 words could be long/short..

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
find out how many words roughly you speak a minute, just time yourself reading a book out loud at a comfortable pace for one minute, then count how many words you read and round it off.

It sounds tedious but is so helpful because whenever you have a speech, you just calculate how much you need to write according to how many words you speak a minute.

If you cant be fucked, most of the people i know speak around 200 words a minute.

mind if your doing a speech with lots of long words in it like in society and culture - (industrialisation, globalisation etc) or Legal studies (Anti-Discrimination Act etc) you have to adjust it a bit.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
A speech isn't only about what you have in the content. Remember all the principles of a good speech (one that will give you high marks):

Relevant Content
Within the Time Limit, respectively
Posture
Volume
Eye Contact
Engaging the Audience's Attention (my favourite)... usually doing something that gets the audience to participate in a little... something visual always works.
Fluency
(How much the teacher likes you too... this always helps.)

HSC
the question is "do you think 900 words in 5mins is a comfortable speed"

and the answer ?????

AnandDNA

HSC
Personally i think that is too fast for your audience to understand. I would be more incliend in aiming of 600-700 but i guess it depends on how short you can make your speech which will include all the relevant content. I have to do a 5 minute speech on the first day back and i'm aiming to complete my speech within 700 words.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
It depends entirely on how you are going to present the speech but by the sounds of it you might need to cut down.

But in saying that.. my times are always lower when I present it at school

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I try to make speeches as interactive as possible.... I don't actually count how many words i write in a speech but 900 would be a little too many. Try to give some time to pause... around 600-700 words should do it. Just write and not bother with the words count to start with... that's what i do. If your way over, cut some out.... the less important points. If your way under... you can always easily slow down and add what you've missed out.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
okay thank you everyone. I've shortened it to 840 words. Which is still long....
But I'll continue cutting. And I'll speak very quick for the introduction coz thats 200 words long, which is stupid. Why do I always make long intros!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
okay thank you everyone. I've shortened it to 840 words. Which is still long....
But I'll continue cutting. And I'll speak very quick for the introduction coz thats 200 words long, which is stupid. Why do I always make long intros!
Yea, a 200 word intro is a fair bit too long. I often participate is public speaking and debating... though it isn't the same it requires the same principles in a way... you need to keep the introduction brief so that you don't lose the attention of the audience too easily and so you can focus on your content...

In your introduction, all you need is a greeting, summation of the topic that you are discussing/your meaning or perception of it and a little bit of what you might talk about (don't give much away)

:wave:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
sikhman said:
just remember to vary your speed....which can change the amount of words you need to write....as varying speed/tone etc. will make your speech more interesting and sound more convincing....

and try not to do a greeting....it's much better if you open with something clever, witty or deep/meaningful quote etc. but its really up to you and what the markers want....
I really like to open with something that not only sounds smart but is also a little play on yours around your topic.... sometimes even a little caseline (although it isn't debating) :D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Yea, a 200 word intro is a fair bit too long. I often participate is public speaking and debating... though it isn't the same it requires the same principles in a way... you need to keep the introduction brief so that you don't lose the attention of the audience too easily and so you can focus on your content...

In your introduction, all you need is a greeting, summation of the topic that you are discussing/your meaning or perception of it and a little bit of what you might talk about (don't give much away)

:wave:
alright cool. I'll try to cut it down :eek:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds good! Good luck with it too. Make sure once you have received your marks back to tell us how you went and whether our help was useful at all. Lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)