Speeches! Help! (1 Viewer)

happyboyrulz

HSC
Just one question...
If a question in HSC asked for TWO speeches, can we still write about three?

elmafud

HSC
Sure, but would you want to make extra work for yourself?

khaslop

HSC
speeches is the worst topic. so much to memorise. ARGH!
dont write about three if they only ask for two...theres certainly no point in creating more work for yourself.
whats the chance of them specifying a speech? im really scared about that on account of i really only know about 5 of the speeches well...

D

dzzlng_07

hey im wondering the same thing

i actually did a prepared essay with 3 speeches!!

and i dont know what to do if they ask for 2. we wont get any marks for the thrid speech right? so i guess theres really no point in writing it.

my teacher says lincoln, keating and king are the ones they'd most probably specify....

does anyone else know anything?!!

khaslop

HSC
Lincoln, Keating and King are definately the most famous of the 12.
ive decided upon Lincoln, Levertov and Keating and am just hoping that they dont say we have to write about someone like Havel or McAleese because i have no idea what to write about them.
What kind of idiot makes us study 12 different speeches anyway. Honestly, dont we have enough work already?

Be nice BOS.

Mattamz

HSC
i agree, except with lincoln they was already been specified in 01 i thnk it was

HSC
Please answer the question. If they ask for two, then provide TWO. If they do specify a speech, it's pretty unlikely they would choose Cicero or Atwood's. I'm thinking they would specify either Luther King, Lincoln or Keating. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck guys! This was easily the WORST module of all.

xxxdivatazxxx

HSC
omg im doing the speeches too this year. its so hard and so annoying. they expect us to memorise twelve different texts that come from completely different times. a book would be much easier. okay so i have this essay to write and i have no idea what to do.
“The significance and value of a speech lies with a particular audience.”
Evaluate this statement using texts and the ways in which it is understood and received in different contexts including your own.
if you can help please do as soon as possible. i hate my teacher. he talks way too much. everyone just tunes out during class. anywho hope to hear some words of wisdom. mwa.

Megze14

HSC
man.. we got put into groups and have to teach a speech to our class. i got stuck with Cicero.. great.. and we have to teach it soon... :worried:

Legal Hustle

HSC
Wait...
So in the HSC exam/Trial/Exam can they ask a question like..."Using Lincoln, Havel and Atwood speech etc etc..." Man, I thought you choose the speeches to study and just right according to the question cuz I've seen a couple of past papers and none of them have specified you must do these speeches etc :S

stillwaters

HSC
im trying to ignore the fact that i have to study for my ancient half yearly...
anyway, they can ask a question where they ask you to use a specific speech and another one of your own choice... supposedly they did that in one hsc exam a few yrs ago where you had to write on lincoln and another one of your own choice... i dunno, just as long as you have the general gist of all the speeches and then know two or three in depth...

Legal Hustle

HSC
Do we need to know like other readings of it, like some critic saying shit about it like we did for othello last year?

My teacher says so but she is wack. and all the notes on here don't have any info on other readings.

stillwaters

HSC
the focus is on your personal engagement...
what did you guys do with othello last year anyway?
our teacher's kinda like, keep away from all the marxism and feminism and other isms and crap unless you really know it and arent just spouting it because thats what youre teacher told you to do or you think thats what the markers want to hear. supposedly the hsc questions have been more personalised and focused on candidates own close knowledge of the texts. like if you look at last years (2007) hsc question its like, examine ONE ideal thats in the speeches you have studied. Choose two and analyse in close detail (something like that...).
theres not readings as such on speeches...
whats your teacher been teaching you guys on speeches?
(i dont think the above paragraph helped much... >.<)

cookie munchie

HSC
Hi im doing socrates and goldman and i have to write about textual integrity and content, language as well as construction AND give a personal response....HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

I know these speeches are similar in some way.....but how?

please help...your help is much appreciated:)

stillwaters

HSC
hey cookie munchie
i cant really help you cos our class hasnt actually studied all the speeches yet (meant to be incentive to not ditch school after the trial exams in term 3 ... yay.:mad1:) but there's a textual intergrity thread somewhere in this message board. just search for it- they explain textual intergrity in understandable terms.
maybe you could link the speeches by the values that are common in them... i.e. socrates was freedom of speech, opinion, is emma goldmans one saying something similar.
what exactly do you have to do? is it in class or hand in?
like the personal response thing will be going throughout your essay (?) - its basically what you're arguing that's your 'personal response'. the 'content, language and construction' bit is just textual evidence and how it backs up what you think the speeches are trying to say. i.e. socrates use of the gadfly metaphor captures the ermm.... oh crap i forget :eek:
hopefully some of that helps

cookie munchie

HSC
hmmmmmmmmmm i think that helps....anyhow thank you for spending time on helping me .....greatly appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)