Speeches (1 Viewer)

HSC
As the HSC is drawing closer... those of you who do Speeches for Module B please sign up here! They're aren't many of us out there but let's all help each other out with questions and other stuff.

mlinger

HSC
Hey... do you know all the speeches or do you just have a select few you can recall for the exam.. because i've noticed that in two instances they have asked to talk about a particular speech! wb

maskd

HSC
I only know about Lincoln and King, it'll be bullshit if they ask about a specific one...

helz_h

HSC
the more in depth you know the speeches the better. the examiners are perfectly within the syllabus to specify which speech(es) you have to make reference to so the more you know the less likely it is to be one you don't know...

Also, maskd, in last year's question they didn't specify a particular speech but you were required to use 3 speeches in your response so it might be worth brushing up on another one, at least.

One last thing, looking at Socrates' speech - what rhetoric devices does he use? Nothing jumps out at me apart from his gadfly metaphor...

HSC
i'm doing speeches..
i'm having so much trouble trying to remember quotes and stuff from all of the speeches.. whats the minimum amount of speeches that i should know?

HSC

You should know 3 speeches reasonably well. Sometimes ones that share a common ground is best, Socrates and Goldmen, Lincoln and King, etc. A lot of the speeches share a theme (freedom from something, or of something).

Though, i agree, it is a lot harder to remember quotes and that, i can't even remember anything about speeches.

HSC
theres 4 that i'm comfortable with, so in theory i should be fine in the exam, right?
i'm panicking that they'll specify one that i don't know much about

HSC
yea, 4 is good. For me, i'd do the 4 i listed as my preference because i know and share the ideas (as they say, you can only sell what you yourself have bought).

When it comes down to it, know all the speeches on a general level. If they specify on 1 speech, it is normally a discuss question, which is open ended. You don't need to focus on that speech for the whole question, just some way through, like the BEGINING of the discussion (Note these are words from my teacher, cause it came up in class). Start off with it, the general knowledge of the speech will be enough to establish grounds to move into the speeches you are more familiar with.

Last edited:
HSC
so if they specify a speech i only have to discuss it briefly, or enough to lead onto the other speeches i'm comfortable with?

HSC
that was how my teacher instructed us. Discuss it enough to set up a basis to lead into the speech you are more comfortable with. If you look at the questions that have specified a speech, it doesn't ask a specific question about the speech, but gives you a theme/statement, asking you to discuss that, and make reference to such and such.

So short answer, yes.

HSC
^ i was wondering why you sounded familiar shady01 lol then realised, oh its nick..

i know lincoln, king, goldman and suu kyi pretty well, and getting there with levertov and atwood..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
WOo...hsc speeches question was so straight forward!

miyoko

HSC
The question referred to TWO speeches, i done 3 just in case today, would they penalise me?

jlnWind

HSC
miyoko said:
The question referred to TWO speeches, i done 3 just in case today, would they penalise me?
no

umm i know all the speeches ive done so far prettywell,
which is
levertov, king, lincoln, socrates, pearson, mcaleese

so if anyone wants help, please email me, cos i dont come on bos that often
jlnWind@hotmail.com

peace

light bulb

HSC
we have such an airy fairy teacher for speeches... this isnt an excuse to do poorly but im just hoping that what shes telling us is right... yeah the main ones are king goldman lincoln and socrates... id like to get to know the other ones... do u think ud gain marks for quoting from the lesser focused ones? say attwood cicero or keating? i find keating pedestrian... maybe thats just my paranoia?! lol hoping to do well and trying to get my arse up and do the study... good luck to everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)