speeches!!!! (1 Viewer)

triggy

HSC
is anyone else who's studying "speeches" as part of modules finding it impossible to learn all 12!?!?!

anyone going to take their chances and learn 2?

zingerburger

HSC
I hate Speeches. Easily the worst of all three modules. Maybe because it was the last module we started, but I found it extremely hard to concentrate in class once the trials that tested three of the four speeches we learned were over. And now I don't think I'm prepared for any.

Our teacher told us to learn three or four "in-depth" and a general knowledge of the rest. But I don't think I can do even that.

fullivia

HSC
N/A
i tried to learn all of them for my trials and it didn't work. Pick 3 or 4 that are from different time periods (they like to ask you to compare speeches from different contexts) and different genders, and also different positions (eg. don't pick all politicians). That should give you a good range. I've found that Socrates, Goldman, and Havel work well together. Then just learn the general stuff about the other speeches - make sure you know a few techniques for each, the context of each, and the main ideas in each. If they do specify a speech they want you to talk about (eg. one year they specified Lincoln) it will only ever be a short speech such as Lincoln or Levertov.
I learn things well visually, so I did a mind map for each speech, with more info on the maps for the 3 i learnt in detail. Try and find a way that works for you, whether you need to do mind maps or maybe record yourself discussing techiques about all the speeches and then listening to it before you go to bed.
Just make sure you know something about all the speeches, because they haven't specified a speech in a while so this might be the year they do it!
Also, remember the speeches module is one of the hardest, so they will take that into account, so it can end up scaling you up more than the other modules might.

HSC
you don't need to learn all 12. i say pick three speeches, ones with similar ideas that can cover all questions. throw a popular one in there, because they *might* specify (but they haven't done that for years)

triggy

HSC
my intention. not that ive really... well i havent looked at speeches at all. but im gunna try and learn socrates, lincoln, king and keating.

???
i dunno hey. is that a good variety?

yosemite sam

HSC
theyve specified twice in like 5 years and since they havent for a couple of year chances are theyre more likely to? learn 3 or 4 in depth but know enough about the others that you could mention a couple of things about them if you have to

khaslop

HSC
speeches is the worst topic ever.
i only know 3 in depth and if they specify im screwed.
if they specify i will riot... who's with me?

divyachaddha

HSC
i have a feeling they won't specify.....i rang the advice line lyk 6 times asking all the teachers if they think they will specify...n they all said NO. but u never know. i think it is slack if they do cause ppl may have learnt the specified speech by luck, it doesn't really illustrate their english ability. i think thats the reason the Board gave up on specifying. but dont take my word on it. im with the person above...only learnt three...Cicero, Levertov and Pearson: an Australia, woman, new and old.

HSC
I dont think they will specify this year.

There has been a lot of hype about the fact that last year they didn't give out enough band 6's, by specifying that will make things even harder. And coul you imagine the outcry if they did?

I'm learning 4- Lincoln, Goldman, Kind, and Socrates and I am most likely to use Lincoln and Goldman- different contexts, different gender, one a politician, one anti politician etcccc.. yet trying to create a sense of unity and understanding. So yep.

But no I don't think they will specify, if they did I would slit my wrists.

samwa89...

HSC
well here's my slight dilemma
hsc modules is tomorrow
i havent looked at speeches since we did them
now i am noticing that i was away for half the speeches anyway
so god help me if they specify one i don't know

i think i'll stick with socrates, goldman and levertov
the ones i have notes on :)

good luck everyone xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)